Login

russian armor

Anybody else still having input delay?

19 Feb 2014, 19:04 PM

Im not talking about normal lag here, but is anybody else still having a severe input delay (>1 second)?

At least I do, and one of my buddies as well and we currently dont know what to do.

What weve done so far is opening ports and checking our router firmware, a few things to clarify:

This is not caused by weak computers: Game runs perfectly fine at max settings and there is no delay in singleplayer.

This is not caused by generally bad internet: This problem ONLY occurs in CoH2, not CoH1, DoW2 or any other game.

Firewalls, Anti Virus software and other 3rd party prgrams are shut down before playing CoH2 with no impact on the delay at all.

It doesent matter if the other player is from another country:
No input lag with an american friend, huge input lag with a friend from my city.

My question is now: What else can we try to do? Relic stated that their attempt at fixing this will be the battleservers and since those have no impact on this kind of delay for me (and a couple of people I know) we need to know how WE might fix the issue.
Because currently the game is still unplayable for us.
19 Feb 2014, 19:08 PM
Senior Editor Badge

open router ports
update modem firmware
19 Feb 2014, 19:24 PM
Coder Red Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2014, 19:08 PMnigo
open router ports
update modem firmware

This won't do a thing.

Servers are likely overloaded.

On a side note, battle servers were never meant to improve general latency. They were meant to prevent a single bad connection from increasing the latency of everyone. Before, when connections were purely peer-to-peer, every player had to play at the latency of the player with the worst connection, because every player had to wait for the game information from every other player to be sent and received before they could continue.

What the battle servers do is act as a relay. You send your information to the server, the server sends it to everyone else. This means if one player has a particularly terrible connection, the server can still relay the commands of everyone else without having to wait for that one player. That is good for the other players, but it can be very bad for the player lagging, because I'm assuming (haven't been able to play to test) that the lagging player will experience rubber-banding not unlike what happens when you have a bad connection to an FPS server. When everyone has to wait for your bad connection, you never miss any information; it just gets to you a lot slower. If the system stops waiting, the lagging player is going to miss a lot of ticks where his units won't be accepting commands, and therefore won't be moving or will be following the last command that the server received.

As for its effect on latency, it's silly to think battle servers means generally better latency overall. Instead, you're likely to experience more consistent latency, because instead of sending commands directly to your opponents you're sending them to a server, and the location of that server is not likely to change. So if I used to play against my roommate all the time, for example, battle servers are going to introduce more latency for us, because instead of connecting to a machine five feet away from me, I'm connecting to one potentially hundreds of miles away. On the other hand, if I play with someone from Korea all the time, my latency will likely improve, because my point of entry into the network is so much closer.

Battle servers aren't a magical solution to all of CoH2's network problems. It's just a means of normalizing things and giving Relic more control over their own game, instead of relying on Steam.
19 Feb 2014, 19:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2014, 19:08 PMnigo
open router ports
update modem firmware

What weve done so far is opening ports and checking our router firmware

@Inverse, but wouldnt everybody have trouble with delay then?
19 Feb 2014, 19:35 PM
Coder Red Badge

Not necessarily. It all depends on how Relic is routing and prioritizing traffic.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★