Login

russian armor

Gamereactor interview

20 Nov 2012, 20:28 PM

hmmm... I hope they do not shut down the CoH1 servers...
20 Nov 2012, 20:31 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

They won't don't worry :)
20 Nov 2012, 20:41 PM
Caster Badge

Having doctrines that you choose beforehand allows relic to expand on doctrines and make them impact the game even further than before. They can easily create 3 different styles and approaches to each faction and since only 2 factions will be featured in the game that variety will make it easier for new players/more casual players to play the game without getting bored at lack of content.

Sure it creates more match ups and make the game harder to balance, but the positive side of that is more creativity and variety can be put into the doctrines.

Well I don't think they're doctrines. Something seperate, extra, a modifier. Doctrines from what little i've been piecing together will still be chosen ingame and all that.
20 Nov 2012, 21:50 PM

Might work as long as the effects are actually really really small.

Maybe it's things like; for example u get the choice between HE rounds or more AP rounds. For more power vs infantry/light vehicles or more vs Tanks.

It might be customization like: you can make your tanks lighter / heavier armored. With lighter armored tanks having more mobility. (small percentages we're talking here)

Or even something like: Powerful strafing run (the strafe we know) for 150 munitions.
Or a weaker version of strafing run for 100 munitions: smaller hitbox, less accuracy.
Or you could even swap between strafing run types; one that is better vs blobs and one that is better vs single targets.

I'm just giving small examples; i'm not trying to say these are good ideas.
Basically: things with small tradeoffs (PROS AND CONS); hopefully not impacting the game too much. That's what it should be, if there is a presetup. That is imo the way you can customize pre-game.

What it should definitely not be for example is: Grenades now deal 10% more damage. That would be really bad. Giving really bad incentives and it forces you into one type of strategy (make or break). While one of the core things in Coh is having options and adapting.
20 Nov 2012, 23:24 PM
Caster Badge

Well it could be stuff like call ins, or basically doctrinal units on a more early basis, but more towards the replacement style.

So say.. i dunno. You replace your Grenadiers with osttruppen for example, you get cheaper earlier infantry as the wehrmacht, but you'll be a bit lacking in initial firepower for example.
20 Nov 2012, 23:55 PM

in the interview he mentions call ins and abilities that are chosen before the game. it's a lose-lose situation and not at all like the runes/masteries in LoL. in LoL runes/masteries give you bonuses, not completely new abilities (imagine something like draven having all his abilities PLUS a karthus ulti). if you can see what your opponent has selected, well, okay, you at least KNOW whether you're fucked or not. if not, imagine a strafing run coming in out of the blue, when you have already seen your enemy choose a doctrine that has nothing like that.
21 Nov 2012, 03:36 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Also imagine how much it would suck if you chose a bunch of infantry stuff before the battle started and then your opponent chose a bunch of anti-infantry stuff like strafing runs or whatever. You'd just be screwed because you got unlucky.
21 Nov 2012, 07:39 AM

Choosing doctrines/vehicles(like ToV) or whatever before a match is disgusting. It's just more of that commercial league of legends circlejerk about masteries and shit for noobs. This is an RTS not some super mario.

If you look at some of the most succesful RTS, wc3, coh(to some extend), brood war and now sc2... none of theese have this kind of coin flippy thing where you get to choose what you are gonna do before even knowing WHAT and WHERE you are playing against.

You could choose one of three hero character units in Warcraft 3. And you did it even before you knew which hero was choosen by your opponent. Hero was most important unit in your army, each with different abilities. In expansion they even added more, so you could choose from 4 plus 6 random heroes from tavern if i remember.

I don't want coh 2 multiplayer be like coho, most of coho ideas were so badly implemented and imbalanced ( american blobs of doom, off map artilery with all upgrades one shooting tanks lol). Warcraft 3 was very succesfull game in e-sport with hero/commander preselected , just saying.
21 Nov 2012, 08:32 AM

Very interesting!
21 Nov 2012, 08:35 AM
Caster Badge

Also imagine how much it would suck if you chose a bunch of infantry stuff before the battle started and then your opponent chose a bunch of anti-infantry stuff like strafing runs or whatever. You'd just be screwed because you got unlucky.

And there probably won't be any archetypes that directly counter another one. Fancy that :p And if by some bizarre coincindence there is. Well that is what a beta is for. And even then, since when hasn't there been a way for limiting the damage of strafing runs ?
21 Nov 2012, 15:13 PM

We already have something similar with the ToV units. I realize it's not quite the same but you still have to make a choice before the game starts depending on what you prefer.

Until we know more about any doctrines or in-game choices it's hard to predict how much of an issue it will be. It may still be possible to change it or tone it down during the beta, if necessary.
21 Nov 2012, 16:04 PM
Caster Badge

I doubt tone it down, but tweaked and change probably sounds more likely. But again. We will have to see the full suite before we can really make a solid judgement on this.
21 Nov 2012, 20:12 PM

They could go all the way and do like EA did with C&C Generals Zero Hour. Variations of each army to effectively triple the number of factions. But that was near impossible to balance, of course..
21 Nov 2012, 20:27 PM
Caster Badge

Well i suspect it might be a minor something on that. We'll see. Again, we don't know the full details, plus we'll have a beta to hammer out the imperfections in :P
1 of 3 Relic postsRelic 21 Nov 2012, 21:09 PM
Developer Relic Badge

There are some updates to the Commanders we'll be able to reveal very shortly that I think feels really good. Just a heads up. We had print-press up to Relic for a hands-on preview of Multiplayer last week, and I'll be in San Francisco next week then London the following week for the online media hands-on. There should be lots of information that I hope you'll find interesting hitting soon.

We're also still pushing hard for our first beta. We have a tentative date. It's 'imminent'.

Quinn
21 Nov 2012, 21:16 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Oh HELLLSSYEAH! And welcome to coh2.org!! :) :wub:
21 Nov 2012, 21:16 PM
Caster Badge

Woo ! Love "imminent" But sounds cool :) Thanks Duffy. Just remember. Don't smoke near the fuel points :p
2 of 3 Relic postsRelic 21 Nov 2012, 21:21 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Woo ! Love "imminent" But sounds cool :) Thanks Duffy. Just remember. Don't smoke near the fuel points :p

No, I learned my lesson good.
21 Nov 2012, 21:24 PM
Caster Badge

Just a quick question. But are doctrines still a seperate thing ?
3 of 3 Relic postsRelic 21 Nov 2012, 21:36 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Just a quick question. But are doctrines still a seperate thing ?

Commanders/Doctrines are the same thing.

There's one system.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS