Login

russian armor

closed beta and NDA

9 Jan 2013, 13:44 PM

will the participants of the closed beta be allowed to stream it ?
9 Jan 2013, 13:47 PM

Most likely not I assume
9 Jan 2013, 14:44 PM

If it's a "closed" beta then most likely it'll be under NDA
9 Jan 2013, 18:42 PM

As someone who has tested numerous games at various stages of development and signed multiple NDAs:

Please, people, respect the NDA. When you have a beta available to a relatively large circle of people like this one, I am sure THQ is counting on there being some violations, that is the sad reality, but please respect the NDA. Not doing so makes companies less inclined to offer betas in the future.
Only Relic postRelic 9 Jan 2013, 19:29 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Closed Beta = no talky ;)
10 Jan 2013, 00:03 AM

yea, bad companies have NDA on beta, while good ones use beta to create hype and even jumpstart the community and e-sports with beta tournaments and stuff
1 leaked alpha vid creates more hype than all PR they have done since they announced it

but hey... they are "shocked" that other companies dont enforce NDA for beta... speaks a lot about why their (often superior) games dont ever reach even 30% of popularity some other mediocre games do...
10 Jan 2013, 00:12 AM

DotA2 had NDA until the beta went open, as will CoH2.
10 Jan 2013, 00:43 AM

dota2 never went open beta, since its still invite only... and that is by definition a closed beta...
also sc2 had NDA only in alpha, same with D3... the second game goes closed beta, no NDA and streams alone build hype through the roof... as people are watching and thinking "i want to play it so bad" and preorder it to get in beta and everything...

many more would preorder if they could see what they are getting, and by the time NDA is taken down, with 1 screenshot per month and no info given out, people will more likely forget about it and move to something else (atleast potential new coh player) by then than go on and preorder it

i respect NDA and all that and im not the one who would ever break it, but more often than not NDA is doing much more damage than any leaked footage could... and thats why i dont like it
for example, i know around 10 people who forgot about coh2 until i stumbled on alpha vid and now its like "wow, wish it would come out sooner" and checking all coh sites 10 times a day in hope of stumbling upon some more info or some more vids...
10 Jan 2013, 01:11 AM

You guys are acting like the open beta is going to still be under a NDA. They are using the closed beta to test and try the game in small amounts and they are using the open beta to do it on larger grounds with more people and that is when they will let it be open to stream etc..
10 Jan 2013, 02:00 AM

There is a reason it's called "closed beta".
10 Jan 2013, 03:31 AM

Kat
10 Jan 2013, 12:11 PM

I've also never seen any statement that CoH2 beta will be "open" (thus NDA-free) at any stage. Officials were just stating that there will be various stages of closed beta - for small amount, for pre-orderers etc.
10 Jan 2013, 18:27 PM
Coder Red Badge

I'd honestly be surprised if they didn't open up the beta to streaming and videos eventually, even if they never truly "open" it in that they let anyone participate. A beta that you can get in by preordering is essentially open, after all, and it gives them so much free publicity. It would be silly not to.
10 Jan 2013, 18:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jan 2013, 18:27 PMInverse
It would be silly not to.

i agree... but with Relics history with OF and ToV, i wouldn't put it beyond them :-P
ntd
11 Jan 2013, 06:46 AM
Admin Black Badge

There wasnt really streaming when of/tov were released...at least not in the coh scene.
11 Jan 2013, 07:23 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I think cr4wler just means Relic's competence generally, not their streaming policy.
11 Jan 2013, 09:29 AM

i meant that relic did some silly stuff with OF/ToV, so i wouldn't put it beyond them to disallow streaming altogether until the game is released, even if it might hurt because of the lost opportunities for media exposure.

i actually wasn't too serious about it (was more of a friendly jab at relic), though i might end up to be right, which would be unfortunate :-/

they don't necessarily have to lift the NDA at the start of beta, but i would expect them to do so soon after. especially since the group of beta participants will be huge, and there will be no way to stop everybody from leaking information.
15 Jan 2013, 01:01 AM

I remember SC2 getting hyped during their beta. Shoutcasts were really regular. I remember the Littleone, but more that Blizzard tester dominating (David Kim?) he was an insane player to watch, very impressive.

After using Wiki: David Kim actually worked at RELIC around the time vCoh came out. He moved to Blizzard december 2007.
15 Jan 2013, 16:09 PM

little one around still?
15 Jan 2013, 16:16 PM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment