Login

russian armor

Let's talk about optimization

4 Feb 2014, 20:55 PM

This is in no way meant to be a rant/rave, I am simply inquiring as to why I can only run coh2 on the lowest settings. It's been a few months now and numerous patches have come out (that's been great and gives me hope!) but none have fixed my optimization problem. I don't have the specs of my computer on me now but I can assure you it's fairly new with decent hardware. Yet when I tried yesterday to turn up the graphics to enjoy an awesome replay and the new amazing models my computer chugged to impossible to watch.

I know people have complained about this before but the chatter had dwindled considerably, are people running coh2 better now? If so, can you tell me how to do it?

I would really like to run coh2 on a little higher settings, let's hope there is an answer soon.
4 Feb 2014, 20:59 PM

I think COH2 is the worst optimized game I have ever seen. I can run BF4 on ultra at 30fps but I cant run CoH2 on medium at 60. So bad...
4 Feb 2014, 21:14 PM
Coder Red Badge

It's honestly probably the biggest reason I haven't played CoH2 in months. I want to stream, but the performance is terrible, and there's nothing more frustrating than playing an RTS at 30-40FPS and missing actions because the game is stuttering. CoH2 is the only game I can't stream, even at bare minimum settings. I can stream Dota 2 on mostly high settings and get excellent performance, same with vCoH and SC2. Hell, even without streaming, I can play BF3 nearly maxed at 40-50FPS and can barely get CoH2 to run 30-40FPS on high.

This is all on an i5 2500K at 4.4GHz with an HD6870. All in all a very decent rig.
4 Feb 2014, 21:15 PM

It's not running better.

To paraphrase Quinn Duffy: Relic is small and does not have the resources to do much about it at this point. You can expect some little improvements like an ai routine that takes up too much processor time to be optimized but that's about it.
4 Feb 2014, 21:45 PM

It's not running better.

To paraphrase Quinn Duffy: Relic is small and does not have the resources to do much about it at this point. You can expect some little improvements like an ai routine that takes up too much processor time to be optimized but that's about it.

But relic has the time/money to invest into 3 community managers and new DLC? That response from Duffy makes me sad, so basically no... The game will not be optimized and I'll just keep running it on low... Yay! :**(
4 Feb 2014, 21:47 PM

But relic has the time/money to invest into 3 community managers and new DLC? That response from Duffy makes me sad, so basically no... The game will not be optimized and I'll just keep running it on low... Yay! :**(

Thats a slap in the face of everyone who bought the game and supported the developers, they dont have the capacity to optimise theire game, but they can keep shelling out DLCs, thus giving themselves more work fixing the imbalances they create.
4 Feb 2014, 21:59 PM

They might get to it eventually, just not yet.

And hey, their DLC income could help.

4 Feb 2014, 23:16 PM
Donator 11

I have 60+ fps all the time on high settings 1920x1200. 2600k 680GTX... a good rig but nothing spectacular.
5 Feb 2014, 04:38 AM

I can stream in 1080p these games and get these results

BF4 medium-high'ish 40-60fps depending on map
War Thunder high 50-80fps
DayZ Standalone high 40fps
Arma 2 high-ultra 30-60fps depending on map
Red Orchestra 2 ultra 60fps
Chivalry ultra 60fps
Wargame ALB high 30fps (but very consistent)
Insurgency ultra 60-100fps

CoH2 on low-medium settings @ 720p = very inconsistent and stuttery 20-60fps...shameful
5 Feb 2014, 06:17 AM

How to bait relic into actually replying to this topic:

I heard the other day CA is going to have the most, best optimized game in the current market for all generations.

I also heard Blizzard, the makers of SC2 are making newer optimized generation that will optimize games 10 years from now.

5 Feb 2014, 06:45 AM
Patrion 15

They will be never an optimization patch, just every month small things that gives one fps there one there. In one year we have then the game 10 fps better :D

But Quinn says it on the snf they don't have a team who is working on that. That means NO OPTIMIZATIONS PATCH :(
5 Feb 2014, 06:58 AM

Honestly when i think about this more it really pisses me off. Optimization is one of the first things that should be fixed if it doesnt run well. How the hell are we still here? Many many people cannot run this game like they should, FIX THIS DAMMIT!!!!
5 Feb 2014, 08:30 AM

Paid $100, got fuck all except maybe a a few extra camos. Now they can't even task someone to make the game run properly, but have plenty of people working on inevitable future paid DLC packs. Steam store clearly says 5850 is recommended which is total bullshit because this game just owns my 6850 on low settings and only 1280x720. Yet another time where public marketing information was blatantly misleading. If something that actually cost a significant amount of money was misrepresented this heavily we would have a case for a lawsuit but I'm not going to bother for $100 obviously. Fool me once shame on you, fool my twice shame on me. If Relic has to sell more DLC just to provide the bare minimum essential product support which is a game that runs smoothly on a $800+ gaming computer, then they are surely doomed.
5 Feb 2014, 08:42 AM

I agree that the performance is subpar and really does need some attention but comparing engine optimization to content implementation isn't fair.

Engine optimization is a slow and complicated task which is normally a continuous process during development.

I do wonder if they could make performance pass over their assets and maps.

I had two friends who couldn't play the game due to performance problems, sucks.
5 Feb 2014, 08:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Feb 2014, 08:42 AMwuff
Engine optimization is a slow and complicated task which is normally a continuous process during development.

Somewhat true. Its not a 2 day fix thats for sure, but Arma 3 ran extremely poorly in Alpha and by late Beta it was running pretty good, at least on the quality cards it was intended to. BF4 also had sub par performance in beta but now its doing fine. So if we are still in mid beta that would be a valid excuse, but not 6-7 months post full release. The optimization only improved slightly from alpha to beta and hasn't improved since as far as I could tell.

edit: and that is all irrelevant anyways, if the box/website/vendor says it runs well on ≥ HD5850 then it should run well on ≥ HD5850. "In 1-3 years we hope it runs well on the card we advertised it to run well on" is unacceptable, sorry. That info is supposed to definitive, not tentative.
5 Feb 2014, 10:17 AM

It isn't only engine optimization which could help.

Asset, VFX etc optimization is also important, good technical artists can do wonders for performance.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★