Login

russian armor

Avoiding Squad Wipes

22 Jan 2014, 04:34 AM

So I'm just about ready to uninstall CoH2 after some incredibly frustrating games with the Germans. I just don't know what to do when I'm facing an opponent with 120mm Mortars or similar squad wiping capable units. I just played against someone using T34/85s and combined with the mortars I was just losing squads before I could retreat, or alternatively I was bleeding so much manpower I couldn't do anything useful. When I eventually got AT guns up, they would just get 1 or 2 shotted by mortars and any tanks I had would get overrun by the 85s (Which by the way, were doing quite well against my infantry too..).

I have no idea what I could have done differently, and I actually had the map under control for the first half of the game then lost it purely because of the tanks and mortars.

What is my best tool to deal with stuff like that/ I thought I had denied my opponent resources long enough to prevent a big comeback like that but I guess I was wrong.
Is there anything to do at that point, or is it a case of 'Don't let them get tanks and mortars'.

Perhaps I should have had more anti-tank measures in place, but even my StuG got destroyed in seconds against the 85s.

As a side note, and I know this has been talked about to death but: I think it might just be a case of RNG being too potent as well, which is my biggest concern for the game and the reason I'm thinking of dropping it. I hate, hate, hate random factors in competitive games, and it's getting ridiculous in this. The other day I had a T34 ram and destroy the gun of about 2/3 panthers in a row, but when I try it against a StuG i might get a crew shock... I did it to a Tiger Ace the other day and disabled it's gun! Even though I was on the other end, I thought that was BS.
22 Jan 2014, 05:53 AM

CoH2 is one big race to tanks, so far what I did to win the last few games was a quick ostwind/panzer4 to their base as an immediate distraction while I start capping the map -- map control against soviets have been difficult for me with my opponents using their larger numbers to their advantage. Point is, end the game as QUICKLY as possible. Build gas points early. Race to tanks first.

I just mentioned base rush because there is no more threatening attack than that. I had a game against a guy using almost purely hard counters around victory points. So I said fuck it, I built tanks and went for the base.
22 Jan 2014, 07:54 AM

Against mortars - don't let them get vet 1. Get a counter mortar/mortar HT.

If they do get vet 1 then make sure to keep re-positioning your support weapons. And when capping points with infantry move them around: don't just give the cap order and leave it there.

Against T4 shreks are good. If you think they are going T4/getting T34/85's teching to T4 yourself can work too.

Personally I think people blame RNG way too much. Games are decided by player skill 90% of the time
22 Jan 2014, 13:38 PM

I don't mean to imply that RNG is the reason I lost, just that I find it supremely annoying. The example I pointed out about T34s for example is so inconsistent.

In any event, I think 1[][] had a point about the tank race, I think my biggest weakness was not preparing for tanks early enough. I always find it difficult to time/place my AT guns onto the field. Too aggressive and they get mobbed quickly, too defensive and they can't do any real damage. I also should learn to use mines better as Germans.
22 Jan 2014, 17:31 PM

Mortar HT, Panzerwerfer are best to deal with 120 mortar and panthers to deal with T34-85's

German infantry are obsolete when enemy is spamming T34-85 and 120 mortars so it's best to go fast high tiers
22 Jan 2014, 18:27 PM

^Thanks for the tip! I was considering going to T4, but was cautious and thought I would be better served getting more T3 vehicles out. I didn't realise that the 85s were such powerhouses.

In general when there are things on the field like the mortar, should I be retreating squads when they lose even one man to avoid/lessen the potential of a squad wipe?

22 Jan 2014, 19:37 PM
Patrion 15

Also be sure to listen for the sound of the mortar barrage starting and get all of your units in range moving.
22 Jan 2014, 22:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2014, 18:27 PMMadeMan

In general when there are things on the field like the mortar, should I be retreating squads when they lose even one man to avoid/lessen the potential of a squad wipe?

You can take a risk and not retreat, if your units are moving it's hard to hit them with mortar (except some RNG). If you units are fighting enemy infantry and are bombarded by mortar it's better to retreat or fall back out of the range of mortar
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 6
Australia 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment