Login

russian armor

(2-4) Frozen Fields

10 Jan 2014, 09:41 AM

The first version of my map is ready and already playtested a bit.

[url=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214302005]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214302005

I'd appreciate constructive feedback in particular regarding balance and overall gameplay.

I hope you'll be having some fun with the map.

Video showcase:
http://www.twitch.tv/senseo1990/c/3519837

Description: "The day is dawning in the rural outskirts near Braunsberg, East Prussia.
Only a few hours after a successful flank on the German defensive positions, which ultimately ended in a hasty retreat for both sides, the two armies are now preparing for a counter attack on this frozen landscape.
The grand open fields and roads will provide great oppurtunity for flanking the central town, which is ample with cover. To gain access to the vital northern call-in sector engineers will need to be equipped with wirecutters. "

Expect intense fights around the central town of the map where garrisoned buildings are the key to seize the victory point in the town square. By controlling the northern fields you will be in the perfect position to execute great flanks, especially when capturing the radio tower which will allow reinforcements to arrive directly on the battlefield. Take full advantage of this position by launching attacks on the cut-off sectors of your enemy.

The map is based on one of my favorite custom Company of Heroes maps "Road to Carentan" (originally made by Unkn0wn).

Blizzards will be added once they are compatible with custom atmosphere settings.

Also more objects in form of the large haystacks (known from Langreskaya and Road to Charkow) will be added to the fields once they are compatible with snow maps.

Best regards

Aci
10 Jan 2014, 13:57 PM

Even if it must be there (the link works) I can't find the map if I search for it in the workshop, using the steam client. Could it be that it's visibility is set to friends only?
10 Jan 2014, 14:07 PM

Your map has some nice details, but scattered about, but the map as a whole is really bare.
Add more features and more landscaping to the mix to give more objects to hid behind and make the map more visually appealing. You seem to have the ability to focus on detail, now apply that to your whole map.

The resource layout isn't bad, but there's one cut-off that only serves to cut off one other strat point. I would somehow re-work it so that cutting off that eastern fuel was easier... Or, make it possible to cut the western side off from the eastern side of the map or vice versa. This would maybe make things more interesting.

Post updates when you have them.
10 Jan 2014, 14:41 PM

Even if it must be there (the link works) I can't find the map if I search for it in the workshop, using the steam client. Could it be that it's visibility is set to friends only?

Yes I know, visibility is set to public. But it seems to take ~4 days until published maps become visible in the workshop if you want to browse

Your map has some nice details, but scattered about, but the map as a whole is really bare.
Add more features and more landscaping to the mix to give more objects to hid behind and make the map more visually appealing. You seem to have the ability to focus on detail, now apply that to your whole map.

The resource layout isn't bad, but there's one cut-off that only serves to cut off one other strat point. I would somehow re-work it so that cutting off that eastern fuel was easier... Or, make it possible to cut the western side off from the eastern side of the map or vice versa. This would maybe make things more interesting.

Post updates when you have them.

Hey, thanks for the feedback.
When it comes to the map being kind of bare I agree with you: Someone else already suggested adding more cover and adding more heights/slopes. Im personally having trouble of making it look right because...they are fields afterall. Fields are kind of flat and dont have too many objects on them. When using more of the rural objects it in my opinion always looked a bit odd...having tons of the same haystacks and tractors everywhere. I ran out of ideas when designing the fields. As Ive stated in my initial post the large haystacks where there before filling quite a lot of the now empty space but as they cant be covered in snow they looked out of place. Im open to suggestions though. It is the first version of the map afterall so new additions are definitely something I consider

I totally agree on the sector layout. Im going to think about it and post a screenshot once ive got an idea how to rework it =)

10 Jan 2014, 15:12 PM

Fields are kind of flat and dont have too many objects on them. When using more of the rural objects it in my opinion always looked a bit odd...having tons of the same haystacks and tractors everywhere. I ran out of ideas when designing the fields.

This isn't true really... If you believe it to be true then don't design around an idea that has no way of being defined. Playing on a big flat empty area will not be fun.

Fields can have a rolling quality to them, and even though you may think of fields to be flat, they aren't. Yes, I'm sure there are really flat fields in the world, but why add them to your map?

Here are some fields, notice they have some tree lines,subtle slopes, etc.
http://shortfixation88.blogspot.com/2011/12/fields-hd.html

lots of fields, will just need to winterize
https://www.google.com/search?q=fields&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Ug3QUt3-I-eisQTl4YH4Cw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1702&bih=882#imgdii=_

Winter fields:
https://www.google.com/search?q=fields&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Ug3QUt3-I-eisQTl4YH4Cw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1702&bih=882#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=winter+fields&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

10 Jan 2014, 15:28 PM

This isn't true really... If you believe it to be true then don't design around an idea that has no way of being defined. Playing on a big flat empty area will not be fun.

Fields can have a rolling quality to them, and even though you may think of fields to be flat, they aren't. Yes, I'm sure there are really flat fields in the world, but why add them to your map?

But why not add them? Do slopes make them so much more visually appealing? I mean im aware of the fact that fields are not entirely flat (mine arent either), and that a lot even have rather extreme slopes but I was inspired by the fields in my area: Flat, big, not much stuff on them. They look more like the ones on my map than langreskaya or angoville. I'll see if more bushes are an option and I continue to think about it especially since youre not the only one who immediately pointed that out . I just was never really satisfied when I simply added more objects and heights and depths.
10 Jan 2014, 15:36 PM

Put trees, rocks and hedgerows/bushes in the fields. It's not uncommon. Ditches could be an idea or even dead animals. My recent map project features a lot of fields, too. I think the finished ones look quite realistic. Maybe you'll find some ideas there.

PS: I'm curious about the map showing up in the worldbuilder because I like the more narrow kind of maps.
10 Jan 2014, 16:27 PM

But why not add them? Do slopes make them so much more visually appealing? I mean im aware of the fact that fields are not entirely flat (mine arent either), and that a lot even have rather extreme slopes but I was inspired by the fields in my area: Flat, big, not much stuff on them. They look more like the ones on my map than langreskaya or angoville. I'll see if more bushes are an option and I continue to think about it especially since youre not the only one who immediately pointed that out . I just was never really satisfied when I simply added more objects and heights and depths.

I have just finished a map which features a field in the middle (farms), similar to Angoville and such. The fields are largely empty, but not devoid of detail. To create the illusion, there are bushes and other textures along the defining edges, and more importantly, the corners of the fields. The same goes for Angoville, there are objects that define different areas. In no way am I suggesting that you put a lot of random bushes and trees in the middle of your fields. Nor am I saying to add random hills. Just do what you need to to define your areas and make them more visually appealing. And to answer your question: Yes, adding terrain features makes the map much more visually appealing.
10 Jan 2014, 18:57 PM

I will see what I can do regarding the fields. I just went past some fields where i live: They are flat! :P

But yes i'll probably play around with some ditches, bushed and maybe some more tile,splat work

PS: I'm curious about the map showing up in the worldbuilder because I like the more narrow kind of maps.

Its really weird, until now i only saw maps released 4 days ago under most recent so I assumed that maps take a few days until they appear in the workshop, but now there are some maps released today as well.

However I cant find DrunkenGambits map by browsing either, so its not just mine
10 Jan 2014, 19:06 PM

However I cant find DrunkenGambits map by browsing either, so its not just mine

I'm assuming you clicked the link on my map thread... Strange that it doesn't work. I have people who have tested and downloaded today. I wonder what the deal is with that; let me know if you find anything out.
10 Jan 2014, 19:22 PM

Our maps are in the workshop but only accessible via the direct links.

If you browse the workshop or search for the name they wont show up.

Until now I thought that it simply takes a few days until they are approved. Btw: You asked a good question about updating maps. If you find out how to update without "loosing" the old entry please let me know =)
10 Jan 2014, 19:35 PM

Our maps are in the workshop but only accessible via the direct links.

If you browse the workshop or search for the name they wont show up.

Until now I thought that it simply takes a few days until they are approved. Btw: You asked a good question about updating maps. If you find out how to update without "loosing" the old entry please let me know =)

Yeah, it's easy. Just export your map again, then go into the game and hit publish again. It will say "Updating" instead of publishing. I have confirmed also that anyone who has subscribed to the map will have the map auto-updated through steam.
10 Jan 2014, 20:40 PM

Yeah, it's easy. Just export your map again, then go into the game and hit publish again. It will say "Updating" instead of publishing. I have confirmed also that anyone who has subscribed to the map will have the map auto-updated through steam.

Wow that is perfect, thanks.

What would you (and others :P) say about this sector layout:

With the highlighted sectors being the important new southern cutoffs. The southern sector which is the closest to each base now serves a purpose (to cut off the southern fuel) however that might be too difficult (/too easy to defend)
10 Jan 2014, 21:35 PM

I think there's a workaround for my and obviously your problem with the steam client: if you post the link in - let's say according steam group - i guess you guys are part of COH2 WORLDBUILDERS too - it should be accessible thru the client.

Edit: Got both maps now.
11 Jan 2014, 10:19 AM

Weird the screenshot of the new sector layout doesent seem to be visible for me.

Direct link:

http://www.picfront.org/d/942t

Feedback would be much appreciated =)
12 Jan 2014, 11:24 AM

The barbwire in the trench at the radio tower is on the wrong side. The way you use it prevents units from using the trench the desired way: providing cover instead of preventing attacking units from closing in.
12 Jan 2014, 11:33 AM

That was made intentionally because if you place it outside of the trench vehicles are able to destroy it opening the trench without the need of pioneers/engineers.

I never thought of the trench as an actual fighting position, however now that you are mentioning it I think I will probably change it in some way. In the matches Ive played so far there was not a lot of fighting around the trench and making it actually usable as a defensive position will probably provide better gameplay
12 Jan 2014, 11:38 AM

I got your intention after getting closer but i didn't need pioneers to capture it. Used mortars to destroy the barbwire and used the trench after that as mortar pit.

Edit: Just finished a game on your map and I realy enjoyed it :D but even when the fields look realistic DrunkinGambit was right, it feels a bit empty. Maybe you could just make the fields a bit smaller and add more fieldroads/ditches or hedgerows. In that case you could forget about adding objects to the fields itself.

12 Jan 2014, 12:53 PM

is this map taken from Europe in Ruins mod?
12 Jan 2014, 17:16 PM

is this map taken from Europe in Ruins mod?

Yep, as I said its based on Road to Carentan which was also part of the EiR mod
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS