Login

russian armor

Any good texture tile tutorials?

1 Jan 2014, 22:23 PM

I have looked but haven't found any good tutorial explaining the texture tile tool. Any pointers to one would be welcome.

Going top to bottom, this is what I have figured out and what I still have questions on:

Edit modes - only "exclusive" available for now so no questions there. Brush size, feather, strength, and layer counts, all ok. Chunks - I see the flat square move along the terrain but don't really know if that's a bit of information I need to keep in mind for anything.

Layers - there are five buttons. The first looks like a lock, but pressing it seems to have no effect. The second is an eraser that blows away all painted texture layers in a square chunk. Guess there's no in-between when it comes to erasing - it's all or nothing.

The third button is for merging layers, and this is one that I do not really understand. If I try to merge 3 layers, for example, afterwards 2 of them disappear, which is expected. But the remaining layer is one of the 3 that was already there (not sure how it picks which of the original set to keep) and the look of what was painted changed because the actual texture used in 2 our of the 3 layers is completely lost, replaced by the texture of the single remaining layer. Is that what is supposed to happen? So merging just merges the painted areas, but not the textures themselves?

The next (4th) button is apparently for adding layers. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it's greyed out and I can't add any more layers. This has happened when I just have 3 layers total, so I doubt it was hitting the limit (what is the limit on number of layers, by the way?). If I save, exit, restart and reload I can then add layers again, so there's no rhyme or reason to why it sometimes stops working. Bug?

The fifth layer button is for deleting a layer - no problem there.

Now, each layer has a checkbox, which seems to toggle displaying a solid color (defined right next to the checkbox) or the actual texture. Is that solid color just for this visualization, or should I be paying more close attention to what color I assign to each layer? Then there's the thumbnail and texture name - all good. And the last block on each layer line seems to light up when your cursor is over an area of the terrain that uses that layer. Pretty cool way to see what layer is being used where.

The next section is labeled "Burner" and I have no idea how to use it. I'm sure I'm missing something important here.

The next section - "Textures" - is fairly self-explanatory except for the icons (red X, green checkmark, and a combo of both) which I do not yet fully "get". The state of each also changes depending on whether I've been working on the map in a single WorldBuilder session for a long time, or if I just reopened the application. But I don't think there's anything too critical I'm missing here - mostly just curiosity for the sake of completeness.

So... if there is a tutorial out there that covers the above, please let me know. If not, then perhaps someone with a working knowledge of the tile texture tools can shed some light on the missing parts in my ramblings. In particular, the "Burner" tool is high on my list of things I wish I knew how to use.

Thanks.
2 Jan 2014, 02:21 AM

Most things are self-explanatory. I advise you to create a map for playing around with the tools, learning by doing.

Some basics that may be handy:

Layer counts and chunks get important when using more than 8 different tiles. If this is the case there must not be more than 8 tiles per chunk. If you add a ninth that tile would become blackend out. That's where the checkable box is very usefull. If you check a layer it will be blackend out and it's easy to find out where which layer was used.

There are two (not counting the possibility of deleting the whole tile) ways of erasing tiles: Use the erase button to get rid of a tile in a specific chunk or paint it over with another tile.

The third button is for merging layers, and this is one that I do not really understand. If I try to merge 3 layers, for example, afterwards 2 of them disappear, which is expected. But the remaining layer is one of the 3 that was already there (not sure how it picks which of the original set to keep) and the look of what was painted changed because the actual texture used in 2 our of the 3 layers is completely lost, replaced by the texture of the single remaining layer. Is that what is supposed to happen? So merging just merges the painted areas, but not the textures themselves?

Merging always merges tiles from top to bottom: The lowermost layer is always the the first layer on a map.

For example:

1. Grass 1
2. Grass 2
3. Soil 1
4. Sand 1
5. Grass 3 (base tile, cannot be deleted)

If you would merge layers 1, 2 and 4 everything would be converted into the 4th layer (Sand 1).

The next section is labeled "Burner" and I have no idea how to use it. I'm sure I'm missing something important here.

No you don't miss anything here. Ignore it. You won't need it.

The next section - "Textures" - is fairly self-explanatory except for the icons (red X, green checkmark, and a combo of both) which I do not yet fully "get". The state of each also changes depending on whether I've been working on the map in a single WorldBuilder session for a long time, or if I just reopened the application. But I don't think there's anything too critical I'm missing here - mostly just curiosity for the sake of completeness.

red x: Texture not in use
green checkmark: Texture in use
combo: bugged, will change to green checkmark when the clicking on the texture again after you used it.

The next (4th) button is apparently for adding layers. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it's greyed out and I can't add any more layers. This has happened when I just have 3 layers total, so I doubt it was hitting the limit (what is the limit on number of layers, by the way?). If I save, exit, restart and reload I can then add layers again, so there's no rhyme or reason to why it sometimes stops working. Bug?

Look's like a bug. Never had problems adding textures. Just tried it out and after a dozen I stopped adding.
3 Jan 2014, 13:19 PM

There is a limit to the number of textures you can have, but I cannot remember the number. In, The Road to Devastation, I have 6-7 textures depending on winter or spring.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★