Login

russian armor

Fully Customizable Commanders

• This thread is locked
13 Dec 2013, 19:52 PM

What do you guys think of having the ability of designing your own commander, with the ability to pick and choose your favorite abilities?

Perhaps it could be limited to certain abilities only available at certain slots, or perhaps make them all unlimited so perhaps you have a very lategame commander with all high CP values, or a very early commander with a lot of low CP values. Of course balance would have to be evaluated, and it would defeat the purpose to be able to make dlc commanders (unless they make this ability cheaper/similarly priced), and so it would probably not be completely free but overall I have to admit I'd be willing to fork over money for this.
13 Dec 2013, 21:20 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

It's not a daft idea- it's what COHO was implementing. You had to decide what bulletins you wanted, and what part of the Commander tree you wanted to develop.Albeit many decried the COHO system, I think it was more sophisticated than the Commander system we now have to deal with.

Ofc,Relic had a play-to-win system with some units, but most posters I knew never had to bother with buying anything (although COHO only ran for a shorter period than the current game) bcs you could win elite units by chance- purple, from memory

It was said- I never believed it - that COHO was unpopular. Well, it certainly was unpopular with the "Pros" - the sh*t you see bandied about here for CoH2 was just the same for COHO, except the whiners - the disentitled - could only complain about paying to win - they could not complain about the fact they could play the game for free.

3v3 and 4v4 were well supported,and the Relic Official Forums were much busier than they currently are.

COHO had a first class caster in the form of Harlequin - eloquent, committed, numerate, and a premier entertainer and communicator.

And do you know what? Relic threw it all away....under pressure from the vCoH Pros.

That's why, IMO, Pros only get a limited hearing now from Relic. Too many vCoh Pros-and wannabePros are often self-obsessed, full of their desire for a superior fame -and make no mistake about it - they see the bulk of players as necessary for target practice, as well as bolstering their leaderboard positions.

When I first joined GameReplays 4.5 years ago,I came across"Smurfs Honour" It took me some weeks to realise that this meant a "Pro" was smurfing - and winning - and would have to concede a game he was to winning, so the losing "Pro" would not suffer a leaderboard loss.It was corrupt.But if you pointed it out, the mods jumped on you.

vCoH was a hard game to master -but enjoyable- yet it never had popular support until the humble bundle, when players could spend little cash to experiment and lose(often)

CoH2 - I think - is an attempt to rectify the imbalances in skill levels and wrest the game away from the "elite" and their kling-ons- the wannabes.

If only Relic had had the confidence to realise their COHO commander system was not as bad as the raging Pros suggested.............
15 Dec 2013, 03:51 AM

The issue the 'pros' had with CoHO is that there were many "I win" buttons (see: Inf Coy camo, Close Combat Volks, Venerable Volks)that wrested games away from skill and placed it with with what ridiculous unit you chose. It was all gimmicks; Elite Engies at T0 with free BARs? A terror ability that PAYS you to throw away Volks, and you get a better cost return AND fuel for simply suiciding units while it was active?

CoH2 moved in the same direction with the simplification of infantry and vehicle combat systems, cover usage and construction, area denial, and a lot of early/later game stuff. vCoH required much more finesse, CoH2 is just "what do I build to faceroll what he has?"

I whined a LOT about CoHO, but I couldn't care less for the leaderboards or any of that. I was just tired of getting smashed by poor balance.
15 Dec 2013, 11:32 AM

A point system per ability might be an idea. Or perhaps just use the CPs from the game.

Meaning that you could spend up to a cap like 18 CPs on one to 5 commanderabilities.

??
15 Dec 2013, 13:09 PM

It's desirable for making your perfect commander, but it would take away from players who know the commanders well and identify from the commanders they saw in load screen what is coming late game when they see early abilities.

So for that reason and also obvious balance concerns, I would think its a bad idea.
15 Dec 2013, 15:56 PM

I think there could've been/could be a balance between customization and wtf craziness. Pros whining or not, they were always playing coho till the end. Not many pros are playing coh2 now. Not many people are playing coh2 now. Coho always had thousands on at any time of the day and was it never hard to find a game in under a min. Fun factor always trumps balance and while in the pursuit of perfect balance coh2 lost a lot of the fun factor.
15 Dec 2013, 16:37 PM

I think there could've been/could be a balance between customization and wtf craziness. Pros whining or not, they were always playing coho till the end. Not many pros are playing coh2 now. Not many people are playing coh2 now. Coho always had thousands on at any time of the day and was it never hard to find a game in under a min. Fun factor always trumps balance and while in the pursuit of perfect balance coh2 lost a lot of the fun factor.

So you want more "very fun" tiger ace type units? Good balance results in a fun game, not the other way around.
16 Dec 2013, 18:37 PM

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Netherlands 18
United States 18
unknown 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %