Login

russian armor

(2 - 8) Narva River

7 Dec 2013, 15:44 PM
Benefactor 225

[ New Updated Version as of 10th of December ]

Hey guys, I was waiting for official Steam workshop support but it's taking longer that I expected. Narva River is a map I've been working on for a few days - it's based on a real location on the eastern front, but many of the details may be inaccurate due to me using modern day photos as a template.

Download current version here:
Download from MediaFire

Narva River features a bridge near each base, with a central VP that can only be accessed by infantry. The northern side starts near Hermann Castle, with Ivangorod Fortress over the other side of the bridge, across the Russian-Estonian border. The South base starts near two railway bridges, with large farm areas to the North, leading up to the fortress.

The map is not balanced at all at the moment - I've done no testing (except with AI) and there are a few more territory points than perhaps there should be. The map was good practice for me, as it's the first map I've finished with World Builder. I'll perhaps be moving onto something smaller in scale (2v2) and not based as heavily on real geography. Please provide feedback for any improvements and balance issues you can find :)

Images, Go!

Download current version here:
Download from MediaFire
7 Dec 2013, 15:53 PM

Permanently Banned
7 Dec 2013, 16:58 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Pretty!

It looks great! I'll have to give it a whirl soon.
7 Dec 2013, 17:15 PM

Nice map! I like the detail. But there are too many munition points. Place two munition points, not more. It kills the economy.

Onkel Sam postet it in his tutorials. I don't know why many people change it.
  • 10 strat sectors
  • 2 fuel sectors
  • 2 munition sectors
  • 3 victory points
7 Dec 2013, 20:17 PM

Hi,

really nice map! We just rushed the AI in a 2vs2 in 70minutes. I like those big maps with lots of space to cover!

The only problem we encountered was AI specific. After we had blown up both bridges by accident the AI tried to cross the river with tanks at the pedestrian bridge. So those tanks and a lot of infantry which got blocked by those tanks, were easy kills for our artillery. Also the AI did not repair the bridges at any time. Is it a matter of playing versus a standard AI (Hard/expert acts more intelligent?), a general gameplay problem or a issue due to mapping?

Perhaps anyone can state on these issues? thanks in advance!

brymir

7 Dec 2013, 20:34 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Expert CPU doesn't repair bridges. So always supply alternative roads and flanks
7 Dec 2013, 20:35 PM
Benefactor 225

Yes Brymir, I'm thinking of changing the land bridges to allow vehicles to cross. They started out as destructible foot-bridges but infantry just got stuck :( I spent a while placing rocks either side of the bridges to stop heavy-crusher vehicles from being able to path-find across, but the AI still wants to use them. Also, has anyone been able to use foot-bridges (infantry only bridges) without infantry getting stuck? I just end up with piles of infantry squads all stuck on each-other as they try and retreat/move past. And as far as I know, there is no way to get AI to repair bridges, but maybe there is some way of scripting it?

Thanks Cursy, I'll look into changing the strategic points and munition points for the next version. You should have seen the first version, there were about 20 strategic points, I'm still agonising over which ones I can merge together :p
7 Dec 2013, 21:58 PM

Nice map going to download when the second version is released.
8 Dec 2013, 06:43 AM

1-http://savepic.ru/4921328.jpg
a)1 - bad for all
b)2- you can save infantry
2-http://savepic.ru/4978675.jpg
a)red- you must change to dont destroying bridge
b)white- not bridge , but for light and medium tank
c)green- ford for all
d)yellow standart bridge
- http://savepic.ru/4946931.jpg
-move fortress or change ( and with yellow also - if you do)
- some ideas , if use , use not all ...
8 Dec 2013, 09:56 AM

I really enjoyed this map but it does become really chokey when the bridges are destroyed, not sure how to change it don't want it to be an completely open map either...

Bug: Top bridge when I repaired that, it said it was repaired (full health) but nothing changed, it sitll looked broken and it was impassable.
8 Dec 2013, 12:06 PM

map Looks nice. maybe make the Bridge on top indestructible... should be fine then!!
8 Dec 2013, 14:38 PM
Benefactor 225

Thanks for all the help so far, I'll see if the bridge repair bug is an issue for me and if so I'll replace the model with another one.

I didn't understand all the annotations Phan, but how's this:

I plan to remove the right section of the river because I think it was artificially formed after the war, based on some ww2 aerial photos I found. Green denotes shallow water that can be crossed, blue are sector outlines, red crosses are the new map entry points, red lines are the destructible bridges. The east starting points have moved and the playable area is slightly reduced. Any changes before I start work anyone can think of?
8 Dec 2013, 15:46 PM

Dont move fortress , but if you have many time - you can make fortress http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/685968273293764223/9B9F494C8D84726B210A611ADA76ACA3F68FA332/
like in singl (for making this place in real point)) ) , but that after your working ...
9 Dec 2013, 13:45 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

- LoadScreen. Normally the loading screens are images of the game, but the art you've done this very well, I think you should include it as loadscreen. Of course you do it in correct dimensions.
http://s1.directupload.net/images/131209/eewar7sd.jpg
- Paint Sectors. Disable objects and water in WB and better paint sectors.
http://s7.directupload.net/images/131209/ny2v9y42.jpg
- The river is a problem in all maps. The solution is to make bridges, natural bridges or dry river. This would be a great option and so could at some future day to join this map in official maps of coh2.

Good job.
9 Dec 2013, 13:53 PM

You should post some bird's view screenshots of the map. What will it take to get it into rotation for automatch? THe current 2v2 maps are getting hella boring.
9 Dec 2013, 17:34 PM

Bug report here: Stucked units on two places

10 Dec 2013, 00:56 AM
Benefactor 225

Heh, I've come across the same issue quite a bit Lund, often resorting in angrily shelling my AI team mates so that it unclogs the tiny bridges. I've finished making some changes to the map and those changes include the widening of land bridges, allowing all vehicles to pass, as well as fixing the bridge and the ford crossing areas.

I'll post more in a second once I've finished some things, including the second version of the mini-maps.
10 Dec 2013, 02:46 AM
Benefactor 225

Sorry for the double post, but I've updated the link to the new version, plus the old mini map preview is replaced with the new one too.

I don't know if it's safe to rename the raw file once it's compiled, so I left it as 'V2' - I'm sorry if this causes any problems but I can't imagine too many people downloaded the initial file :p

Change-log:
-Replaced bridge with working model (can now be repaired)
-Added 4 ford crossings to river
-Reduced number of territory points
-Reduced number of munitions points and relocated some of the high resource points
-Widened land-bridges (I've still had some issues, but it shouldn't clog up unless tanks are parked on the bridge)
-Expanded east spawn point upwards and reduced playable area
-Nudged some bushes and things around a bit

I had a test game and then moved some stuff a bit more. Hope it works for you guys :)
6 Mar 2015, 11:19 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

When there are 4 players USF NORTH. No corridors so they cannot move units to north.
They must go to the castle to approach the bases.

I suggest removing most of the water.

water, deep snow, mud = VETO
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight