Login

russian armor

THQ is Bankrupt for Real This Time

PAGES (16)down
ntd
5 Jan 2013, 03:00 AM
Admin Black Badge

Hey Jim, I for one don't disagree with your opinion about thq and really never have, and I dont disagree with your assessment of what they were trying to do with clearlake. However, nobody wants to hear about it, people are sick of the negativity, and personally I believe Relic is going to be 100% fine going forward...please just stop with the sideways trolling. I ask much nicer than Ami, but I'm just as serious as he was when he made his post. Thanks for stopping.
5 Jan 2013, 03:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jan 2013, 03:00 AMntd
and personally I believe Relic is going to be 100% fine going forward...please just stop with the sideways trolling. I ask much nicer than Ami, but I'm just as serious as he was when he made his post. Thanks for stopping.

well there is not much else to post about this until monday.
5 Jan 2013, 04:55 AM

And where would the CoH community be without its giant, throbbing tumor to weight it down? MVGame
5 Jan 2013, 17:37 PM
Senior Caster Badge

I don't mind hearing about negativity. I have a strong constitution and am able to take bad news along with good news. I think pretending like bad things aren't happening is denial and that living in a magical fairy land where everything is going to be okay is silly.

I'm worried for Relic - they make great games (usually) but aside from their Warhammer games it seems like they don't sell very much. And I don't mean "RTS games aren't super popular," I mean CoH was the highest reviewed RTS game ever or something and yet it wasn't a blockbuster hit. I'm scared that the WH40k license is going to be worth more than Relic and that someone will snap that up and leave Relic twisting in the wind.

Hopefully bidders don't decie that Relic's ability to make quality games left with the Smoking Gun Interactive people, and hopefully someone buys Relic, but I have no idea how this stuff works and it's hard not to be worried.
5 Jan 2013, 17:42 PM
Caster Badge

I'm not too worried. Not much that can be done by us anyways. Depends on how it goes monday what sort of agreement that can be reached if so. Otherwise, it is a question of who picks up Relic.

5 has been mentioned as being interested in THQ including Warner brothers.
5 Jan 2013, 17:49 PM
Benefactor 115

Lol smoking gun aka we've done nothing since we formed. Actually that's unfair they have released some kinect games.
5 Jan 2013, 18:29 PM

;ladsfksdakj;fsj;adf;asdf

nobody here cares, maybe you will find a audience on 4chan
5 Jan 2013, 18:50 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Lol smoking gun aka we've done nothing since we formed. Actually that's unfair they have released some kinect games.

Three of the leads from CoH are at Smoking Gun, so I think they know what they're doing. It's hard not to notice that the original CoH was great and OF/ToV (made after the Smoking Gun people left, I believe) were shit. And they've released 9 titles, so that's hardly "nothing." It took Relic 2 years to release a single game after being formed.
5 Jan 2013, 19:03 PM
Benefactor 115

It's difficult to tell what role a producer has with regards to video games. Sometimes they are just there to crack the whip, other times they are hands on but I don't think an artist or a programmer would have much influence on gameplay design. They were also part of the OF team as well.

If you check the credits yourself though you can see the design team remained largely the same, after John Johnson, Drew Dunlop and Angie Pytlewski made Smoking Gun they put out Kinect Adventures in 2010 which sold well although it is bundled with every Kinect device and a few X Box Arcade titles, you could probably call them an indie dev studio, similarly sized to double fine.

Why vcoh, of and tov were so wildly different is anyones guess really.
6 Jan 2013, 09:35 AM

It's difficult to tell what role a producer has with regards to video games. Sometimes they are just there to crack the whip, other times they are hands on but I don't think an artist or a programmer would have much influence on gameplay design. They were also part of the OF team as well.

True enough, but..

You'd be surprised, it depends on the company. Some companies give more freedom to their Level Designers (which double as Level Artists) to the point where placing that certain house in such a position, affected gameplay in Angoville in a certain way, even if it wasn't intended (emergent gameplay design). EA has done it (Need for Speed, Fifa Street, etc), the Art Direction and/or Artists have had a direct input on how the game is played, how the game feels, and the mood of the gameplay. Its not necessarily the norm, but it happens. Then again, any true CoH fan knows what the American Jeep thinks about all of this...

Games are not unlike movies. You might not be the director, cinematographer or executive producer, but if the sound guy does his job wrong, the entire project can go down in flames.. Hasn't anyone here played a game where camera controls or difficulty or production values sucked, but the game design was essentially good/great?

7 Jan 2013, 16:04 PM

https://twitter.com/DDInvesting/status/288313922451283969

this is good news for Relic staying in BC, Canada and in tact.

That is, if EA is interested in that studio.

At this point there is no doubt the "plan" Rubin put together is going to be rejected and THQ will be broken up into individual pieces... now the judge is going to give THQ its new budget for 2013 LOL.
7 Jan 2013, 16:27 PM

I fail to see how "lol" works into the whole picture. Very objective indeed.
7 Jan 2013, 16:38 PM
Senior Caster Badge

EA buying Relic would be cool I guess. They put a lot of effort into the C&C games even though they weren't so great. That much effort into CoH 2, if it's anywhere near as good as CoH, would make it a hit I bet.
7 Jan 2013, 16:50 PM
Caster Badge

As long as it isn't Ubisoft. I fear they would end up like Massive entertainment, another sub-studio working on the big franchises and wasting talent.
7 Jan 2013, 16:52 PM

I fail to see how "lol" works into the whole picture. Very objective indeed.

All Jason Rubin's "chapter 11 plan" did was harm his credibility.

its deserves an "lol" in terms of how we've been hearing for the past year that everything is fine and no one is at all concerned about THQ's financial situation. these comments started right from the top of THQ and went all the way down to front line staff. and then when chapter 11 was filed and the implausible "plan" Rubin put forth was announced everything was going to be fine again. the plan and these comments for the past year are now disingenuous.

With Warner Brothers, EA, and Ubisoft all sniffing around look for THQ to be split up title by title. They are now running the show at THQ not Rubin and Farrell. Rubin and Farrell are going to have to find a new gig.

After thinking it over, i don't think EA will buy Relic. They already have one RTS that doesn't sell to the eastern countries. They don't need another one. Also, 2 years to make a game is not EA's style. They make a kick ass cookie cutter engine and then start pumping out games like cookies.

Look for WWE and Yuke's to make a deal with each other.

7 Jan 2013, 16:56 PM

EA is probably more interested by buying the WWE licence rather than buying Relic studio.
7 Jan 2013, 17:01 PM
Caster Badge

Honestly i think everyone's primary target is Saints row. That is the big money maker. Relic and coH 2 would be a good buy nonetheless with a game just a few months off before it is done.
7 Jan 2013, 17:07 PM

EA is probably more interested by buying the WWE licence rather than buying Relic studio.

EA has dabbled in wrestling games in the past
7 Jan 2013, 18:22 PM

Relic and coH 2 would be a good buy nonetheless with a game just a few months off before it is done.

Wouldn't it make sense for pretty much any publishing company to pick up THQ at a fair price seeing as there are several pretty much completed games (South park, CoH2, Metro Last Light) in THQ's possession about to be released? If you are willing to bet that you get $x amount of profit from those games, buying THQ for anything under that is essentially a risk-less purchase.
7 Jan 2013, 18:46 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Why buy THQ when you could just buy the games you think will do well?
PAGES (16)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS