Login

russian armor

They are listening us - Tech Test CoH-Development Update

20 Jan 2023, 00:35 AM
21 Jan 2023, 02:01 AM
Patrion 310

Nigo, no offense. You're not seeing the elephant in the room.

"New Relic" is facing a financial quagmire and a downward spiral that can't easily be fixed.
Relic did not grow to a 300+ devs studio only to make money from CoH IP.
Herein lies the quagmire as a jack-of-all-trades RTS studio and the ongoing talent bleed;

CoH3 might have great potential. But that doesn't change the fact that Relic as a jack-of-all-trades RTS studio is a financial quagmire/train wreck.
No matter what Sega does with Relic, it's likely they will lose a shit ton of money.
If Sega had any foresight they should have sold Relic to Microsoft. Well, too late for that :help:

Microsoft news related to potential Relic AoE4 layoffs and the ripple effect;
Microsoft cuts 10,000 jobs – read CEO Satya Nadella's email announcing the layoffs;
https://www.businessinsider.com/read-email-microsoft-ceo-sent-employees-announcing-10000-job-cuts-2023-1?r=US&IR=T
Read the email sent to Microsoft staff below:
*SNIP*
We're living through times of significant change, and as I meet with customers and partners, a few things are clear. First, as we saw customers accelerate their digital spend during the pandemic, we're now seeing them optimize their digital spend to do more with less.

We're also seeing organizations in every industry and geography exercise caution as some parts of the world are in a recession and other parts are anticipating one. At the same time, the next major wave of computing is being born with advances in AI, as we're turning the world's most advanced models into a new computing platform.

This is the context in which we as a company must strive to deliver results on an ongoing basis, while investing in our long-term opportunity. I'm confident that Microsoft will emerge from this stronger and more competitive, but it requires us to take actions grounded in three priorities.

First, we will align our cost structure with our revenue and where we see customer demand. Today, we are making changes that will result in the reduction of our overall workforce by 10,000 jobs through the end of FY23 Q3. This represents less than 5 percent of our total employee base, with some notifications happening today.

Perhabs there is a way to save Relic, but IMHO this will include Relic layoffs and giving up this idea of jack-of-all-trades RTS studio.

"New Relic" does not have the talent/backbone to become Blackbird Interactive (BBI is Relic 2.0) or Old Blizzard. Relic/Sega leadership needs to come off their high horse and quit their delusions of grandeur.

Quote Friedrich Nietzsche;
'Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, and ages, it is the rule.'
21 Jan 2023, 05:05 AM
21 Jan 2023, 05:35 AM

Microsoft cuts 10,000 jobs

Well there is only one way to say it... Microsoft sucks. They should easily be the biggest and best company in the world, but their management is trash. Sound familiar to another company from the Northwest region?

Any new idea comes out, it does not come from MS. They just copy it badly then abandon it after they throw a bunch of money away.

Which is sad, since I think Satya was starting to get them back on track after years (decades?) of horrific decision making.

One problem is they are too big. No one there understands all of the moving pieces of the company.

Best thing they can do for Relic is provide some cash flow and stay out of their hair on the PC side of things. Let the Xbox port be its own thing they can worry about.

I liked the update from the Tech test. But Relic has burned us so many times with the acting like they care stuff I will not get too excited. The pessimist in me says "Relic saying they will fix the stuff that should have been fixed 3 years ago". But I do see some shades of someone there trying to do some great things with Coh3. If they can just carry the people around them enough to get it done.

Either way I see Coh3 taking over. It is good enough even broken to offer stuff to both Coh1 and Coh2 players. I dont think Relic will be too bad off.
21 Jan 2023, 05:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2023, 00:35 AMnigo
https://community.companyofheroes.com/coh-franchise-home/company-of-heroes-3/blogs/36-tech-test-coh-development-update

I like the part where John tries to sound positive about the ridiculous amount of feedback they got. He's like "We got over 657 ... " and you can see on his face the rest of his thought "worthless rants from psychotic noobs that we will dumpster immediately or I may just quit tomorrow. I am not 100% sure yet".

That was funny and made the video totally worth a watch :snfPeter:
21 Jan 2023, 20:05 PM

snip

Recession and inflation is global and affects everything really.
When a bag of potatoes and eggs increased in price by 100%, people are not going to just keep spending on luxury goods they do not need, which games are.

Life service games are going to have extremely hard time over next couple of years.

Also let me remind you that all the appreciated and renowned studios that made awesome games we all loved are dead now.

Hardly a surprise todays relic is not the same relic that made DoW2 and CoH1, but if they will release and support CoH3 for the same period they did CoH2, I'll be content and support them with my money if they release dlcs.

CoH2 after all was being worked on for so long, because it was profitable to do so.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★