Login

russian armor

Testing various SMG units

31 Oct 2022, 14:06 PM

This was referring to PPSh unit vs Grenadiers
1. base close range accuracy of PPSh Shock troop variant: 0,816
2. Shock troops accuracy veterancy: +40% (0,816 * 1,4 = 1,1424)
3. Grenadier target size: 0,91 (1,1424 * 0,91 = 1,039584)
4. For G43 Grenadiers, the additional 0,9 RA does push the overall accuracy down to 0,9356.... So it has an effect, albeit not the intended 10% in this very specific setup of vet3 PPSh troops vs G43 Grenadiers.

Since Grens do not get further RA buffs with vet, but "only" damage reduction, they are an extreme example for accuracy calculations here. Volksgrenadiers get 0,77 RA which pushes the overall accuracy below 1. Again, all this assumes that capping the accuracy at 1 happens after step3 and not step2, which I think should be the case but I am not 100% sure anymore if I tested exactly that.

I think this is where my "confusion" is coming from. I thought Grens had a target size of 1, but their starting target size is .91 so the G43 upgrade makes more sense. The whole reason I was using Grens was for their "unique" for axis infantry target size along with their over all unique Damage reduction. That is why I was asking if they could in effect CAP the damage coming in as Acc would be 1.04 So anything above that is not used and the damage reduction would cause a drop by 20% from the PPSH.

I was probably thinking about Airborne Guards that get PPSh, not Assault Guards with their Thompsons. In that case it would make sense for Rangers to lose.
Looking at the numbers, I find it hard to believe that Assault Guards are supposed to be THAT strong. It actually looks like they don't have that much going for them. RA both at vet0 and vet3 is pretty mediocre. The weapon loadout also doesn't look super special to me. The vet is nothing super special either besides getting +40% accuracy instead of the more usual +30%. That's a nice buff, but not sure if worth it.

If I have time, I'll test them myself.
Rangers won more often than not it was just surprising that AssG could win at all as when they were both Vet0 I tested several times and Rangers would always win with 2-3 models.
But I think its more than just looking at the Acc differences between them.
For Rangers they get 25% Acc, 20% cooldown and 29% RA
For AssG they get 40% Acc, 25% cooldown and 29% RA
Comparing VET0 to Vet3 performance in a head to head comparison AssG will do more damage as their Acc outscales the Rangers RA while also reducing the incoming damage as AssG RA bonus outscales the Ranger Acc bonus.
Again the test is useless overall as they wouldn't fight each other unless playing a custom game. But the issue illustrates the issue people have with Rangers. AssG Vet is fairly common to Soviets, OKW elites and OST which means they scale negatively offensively and defensively against Obers/JLI/PG/Storms/Falls(more apparent when cloaked) while getting hit with a 3rd weakness of having to move in on LMG Obers/JLI and Falls. They scale negatively defensively against JCS/Fussi as their Acc bonus outscales Ranger RA and JCS/Fussi RA bonus is close enough to Ranger Acc bonus that it is a wash.

Edit: Also if I crunched the numbers correctly Rangers gain no DPS against Grenadiers when both are vetted while receiving more DPS from the Grens which are not only significantly cheaper but also have a more favorable long distance profile and in most in game scenarios having a VET advantage.

Example- Lets say Ranger thompson does 16 DPS, against Vet0 Grens that would be 14.56
At Vet 3 the Thompson would do 20 DPS, against .91 target size 18.2 and factoring in damage reduction 14.56

31 Oct 2022, 15:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I never fully realized before, but generally speaking, veterancy just negates itself. Exceptions aside, vet0 squads will roughly perform like their vet3 equivalents against each other.

The most common RA buff is -29%, some squads like volks and penals get a little bit less than that with -23%.
Most common veterancy is +30-40% accuracy, together with -20-25% of cool down.

This means, that the RA buff of -29% is negated by +40% accuracy, the -23% by +30% accuracy for the opponent. They cancel each other out, what is left over is the cool down, but the effect here is usually not THAT great.

So what you say for the Ranger/Grenadier matchup is pretty much on point, there is only a marginal DPS increase (I calculated a +4,5% DPS increase due to the 'leftover' cool down buff). But is also works vice versa: Grens get +40% accuracy, which is negated by the -29% RA for rangers.
Where Rangers seem to fall flat is when they match other squads. The 20% damage reduction is the only defensive buff for Grens in the whole game. Vs small arms, it is one of the worst buffs of any squad, offset by the effectiveness against AoE damage.

But against many other squads, e.g. Obersoldaten, Rangers will actually lose DPS (about 7% against Obers and all other squads getting -29% RA), while those squads will still get at least the marginal DPS increase due to CD. I think that is what people are noticing when they say Rangers were not that good in the late game.
31 Oct 2022, 16:55 PM

I never fully realized before, but generally speaking, veterancy just negates itself. E
This means, that the RA buff of -29% is negated by +40% accuracy, the -23% by +30% accuracy for the opponent. They cancel each other out, what is left over is the cool down, but the effect here is usually not THAT great.

Vet vs Vet remains the same, but fresh squads get slaughtered, army preservation and all that
31 Oct 2022, 17:06 PM

Yea, that is what I was noticing as I was messing around it just seemed to further reinforce what I would experience in game when ever I tried to use Rangers/Para Thompsons. That is part of the reason I was surprised to AssG being able to beat Shocks/Rangers with vet but I guess that shows the strength of mix-model squads with single LMG squads being the most extreme example.

Part of the reason I specifically used Grens was the issue numbers can't really explain. As all LMG have focus fire it really hurts scaling of short range units, especially late ones like Rangers. Having good RA is nice but since the damage gets focused on a model, bleed can easily set in as usually Grens are gonna outnumber Rangers. For everyone reading, I am not asking for buffs or nerfs just testing and trying to explain to myself what I am experiencing in game.

Your -29 for 40/-23 for 30 is great as I think it helps others(and I) quickly get a feel for matchups. I think this is probably the biggest reason why VG feel so lack luster. They not only get a really weak acc bonus at 30% they also get a fairly bad RA bonus of -23%. So even if they were to pick up a better weapon(MG42) instead of their STG they would still lose in terms of scaling to Cons/Penals/Rifleman/AIS as they are already designed to be matched up against LMGs.(Did not include regular IS as their VET is worse but getting bolster plus weapon racks makes the comparison really hard to make.)

This also shows why most mainlines seem to scale so bad compared to Cons. Despite having the worst starting RA they end up with a final RA of .71 and a great 40% acc bonus from vet. So against Volks, they perform better offensively and defensively as the game goes on while costing less upfront and overtime due to reinforce. Throw in a weapon upgrade such as SVTs for earlier power spike and it gets pretty ugly pretty quickly. All this seems to apply to Grens also but Grens at least get to keep good offensive performance while losing defensively.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★