Login

russian armor

Is the Commissar's abilities on sniper worth it?

14 Jun 2022, 06:11 AM

Is the Commissar Command squad's 'Not One Step Back' from Soviet Reserve army worth it to buff the sniper?
MMX
14 Jun 2022, 06:44 AM

Though I haven't tested it tbh, it's probably not worth it.

The 50% cooldown reduction sounds huge on paper, but since cooldown only accounts for about a third of the total delay between shots you'll most likely only gain a meager ~15% DPS increase. Now that isn't awful by any means for an essentially free buff - but the downside of +20% received acc makes this quite a gamble, considering snipers aren't too durable to begin with. Simply too risky to lose your sniper to a couple of lucky max range shots in exchange for a mild DPS boost...

The +20% higher accuracy won't be noticeable in most cases either, as the sniper can't miss regular inf to begin with. Unless, of course, you're trying to hit retreating squads. Here the higher accuracy could very well make a difference, though I'm not sure by how much. Maybe someone else can and will elaborate on that.
14 Jun 2022, 07:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2022, 06:44 AMMMX
Though I haven't tested it tbh, it's probably not worth it.

The 50% cooldown reduction sounds huge on paper, but since cooldown only accounts for about a third of the total delay between shots you'll most likely only gain a meager ~15% DPS increase. Now that isn't awful by any means for an essentially free buff - but the downside of +20% received acc makes this quite a gamble, considering snipers aren't too durable to begin with. Simply too risky to lose your sniper to a couple of lucky max range shots in exchange for a mild DPS boost...

The +20% higher accuracy won't be noticeable in most cases either, as the sniper can't miss regular inf to begin with. Unless, of course, you're trying to hit retreating squads. Here the higher accuracy could very well make a difference, though I'm not sure by how much. Maybe someone else can and will elaborate on that.

Interesting. So maybe it's worth it for taking down retreating squads.
14 Jun 2022, 13:45 PM

Like MMX said, on paper it would be a great buff but since Snipers already kill with every shot the acc buff is useless and the slightly faster reload won't really wipe a multi model retreat. Now if it is a single model it may help depending on what the retreat shot acc nerf is. I have seen some forum members state that the acc is dropped to 40% while others state it is 60%. I never really looked in to but using those numbers an acc of 40% buffed to 48% really isn't worth the extra micro and rec acc nerf to try and pull it off. At 60% it might be worth it since it appears that snipers ignore target size in their shot calculations so the 20% buff might be useful.

I have tried this before and will tell you the extra micro isn't worth it. you have 2 support units that you need to baby sit while actively making one more fragile. One good volley/lmg burst and you will need to retreat further negating what your attempting to accomplish.
17 Jun 2022, 15:51 PM

In all my COH2 life, I have met only one player that had sniper + commissar duo. He absolutely wrecked me with just these 2 units. But I cannot really imagine how microintensive that must have been.

I think it's worth a try for sure.
17 Jun 2022, 19:22 PM

In all my COH2 life, I have met only one player that had sniper + commissar duo. He absolutely wrecked me with just these 2 units. But I cannot really imagine how microintensive that must have been.

I think it's worth a try for sure.

I feel the combination works when the commissar is used for Fear propaganda. The movement nerf/pin allows the sniper to get to work and give you a bit of micro leeway. Whereas, the buff require more precise micro due to the fragility of the sniper.
I do like using Soviet reserve conscripts into sniper with commissar. The conscripts will deter LV dive and fear propaganda for blob control. I personally like PPSH but it is easier to just get 7 man when available. The AT drop rounds out any needs and howi is great. My biggest gripes are it feels suited for Penals but doesn’t work out well due to MP cost and the commander requires you to outplay the opponent from start to finish. Nothing to get you back in the game.
23 Jun 2022, 20:47 PM

25 Jun 2022, 10:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jun 2022, 20:47 PMLewka
What if you combo it with that fancy Sov Sniper bulletin?

your opponent will rush either kubel or 222 when he sees commander + ribbon combos, and as you've gone t1 you won't be able to stop it from killing sniper unless he hits a lucky mine outside base
25 Jun 2022, 10:57 AM

your opponent will rush either kubel or 222 when he sees commander + ribbon combos, and as you've gone t1 you won't be able to stop it from killing sniper unless he hits a lucky mine outside base

Because one can not counter a kubel without a zis.....

Commissar sniper is a good combination since the commissar can provide healing/vision for sniper and can fight infatry that try to close in.
25 Jun 2022, 11:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2022, 10:57 AMVipper

Commissar sniper is a good combination since the commissar can provide healing/vision for sniper and can fight infatry that try to close in.

The infamously competent fighting capacity of a 5 man squad of which one has a pistol
25 Jun 2022, 11:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2022, 11:21 AMKatukov

The infamously competent fighting capacity of a 5 man squad of which one has a pistol

Have ever tried to rush sniper with grenadier or vgrenadier while begin fire upon from commissar which has access to RGD-33 Fragmentation Grenade and Fear Propaganda Artillery?

The commissar is more than capable of defending a Sniper vs infatry.

I addition it get a Pistol plus 5 SVT by vet 1 which is give his decent DPS for cost.

As I have pointed the synergy between the two units is good.

(Have you ever tried the Ostheer officer with 1 4 smgs and a pistol for DPS that becomes obsolete after 5 minutes?)
25 Jun 2022, 14:40 PM

I cant agree with you on this statement, I have been using snipers for a while now and an early kubel means you have an easy unit to kill. I have used sniper in 1v1 and 3v3 building T1 then sniper into clown car. Nobody rushes the kubel to the enemy back line on the possible if and or maybe sniper. Usually Kubel is used to back tech while Sturm is rushed to enemy cutoff or important strategic point. Sniper is used in conjuction with Engi to snipe off any units. By the time the sniper is built enough fuel is saved to buy clown car which will chase down Kubel. At this point OKW is at a massive disadvantage since the slow T1 start no longer matters. You are down a unit while they can now start to pump out cons or Penals depending on play style/commander.

Also I am assuming you are talking about rushing out a 221 because rushing out a 222 still arrives around the 5 min mark which is plenty of time for Guards or PTRS Penals. Either one will scare off the 222 while sniper works on infantry. Now back to the 221, the issue there is your gated by having to get a tech truck first, dont have to set it down but does need to be called in. That means at minimum to not lose to much map control you get out a 2nd Sturm or 2 VG. This lack of presence means sniper has a bit of time to roam free and get some bleed in while pumping out some infantry. A clown car alone can cause quite a bit of damage to the 221, backed up by Penals which fire fairly quickly the T1 player has all they need to keep you at bay let alone rushing a PTRS upgrade and chasing down a 221.

Now we haven't even included commander choice, if the soviet player goes for NKVD tactics like several players were doing for a while the early game is literally in the soviet players favor. The moment certain units hit the field or lack thereof the player can easily come up with a strategy and prioritize upgrades.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS