Login

russian armor

Coh2 on Linux

23 Mar 2022, 10:25 AM

I recently switched to linux and saw that Coh2 is available on Linux so I tried it and it does work. But, when I tried automatch I wasn't able to get a game. So, the question does Coh2 on linux not support cross compatible with other OS?
23 Mar 2022, 12:03 PM

Serious question: Is Linux still a thing?

Beyond a server, does anyone use Linux anymore. It seems to have died about 10 years ago. There are a million flavors and none of them are very good. Complicated to get running, too many versions, and you can find almost no help from what I remember.
23 Mar 2022, 13:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2022, 12:03 PMRosbone
Serious question: Is Linux still a thing?

Beyond a server, does anyone use Linux anymore. It seems to have died about 10 years ago. There are a million flavors and none of them are very good. Complicated to get running, too many versions, and you can find almost no help from what I remember.

I have agreed with what you have said about COH2, but my friend that's 150% wrong.

"Linux" is not """a""" system, but a kernel that can do millions of things. In my job we only use linux (I especially use Artix) and that's in a non-it corporate. Everyhing from writing theses, to running the servers, to running the SQL stuff, to managing timeslots, to overclocking old CPUs... In every aspect other than gaming, Linux is king.

Basically, the only "fault" of Linux is that it's not normie friendly. However, if you ever want to do something more with your computer other than opening and closing COH2 and Firefox, you will realize just how amazing Linux is as a philosophy.

Most software today runs like shit because it's essentialy bloatware in order to make the "user experience" better. And there's no better example at this than commercial virtual meeting apps (like Zoom, MS Teams etc) which basically have the very easy and lightweight webcam API in it but need like 6gb of ram in order to run smoothly all the shitty panels, animated intros etc. Computers getting stronger =/= getting better.

And I am not even shilling it, it's free.
23 Mar 2022, 14:08 PM

Basically, the only "fault" of Linux is that it's not normie friendly.

And I am not even shilling it, it's free.

That was the point of my question. It is not user friendly.

I looked at it many years ago and it ran like crap and crashed all the time. Which is the opposite of why you run Linux. You run it for stability :hansRAGE:

Then I looked around several years later and it seemed dead.

To me the problem is since no company "OWNS" Linux, it will always be a flavor of the month. There are hundreds of versions, interfaces, etc and the versions get traction for a year or two then disappear. I don't see it ever gaining a meaningful user base because of this.

So the thing that makes it cool (no one owns it and it is free), is also the reason why no one runs it.

My question still stands, how many people run Linux? :sibWaddle:
23 Mar 2022, 14:08 PM

Aside from Linux being better or worse than Windows 10, do macOS users(if any ) face the same problem. If I recall correctly Coh2 for macOS and Linux by Feral Interactive got introduced when 64bit came.I understand that Coh2 was released in 2013 and player base has remained consistent(so mostly Windows users), but it defects point of introducing it in other OS if it is not cross compatible.If there are some other(additional) steps, like manually joining servers or something please share. Thank you
23 Mar 2022, 14:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2022, 14:08 PMRosbone

That was the point of my question. It is not user friendly.

I looked at it many years ago and it ran like crap and crashed all the time. Which is the opposite of why you run Linux. You run it for stability :hansRAGE:

Then I looked around several years later and it seemed dead.

To me the problem is since no company "OWNS" Linux, it will always be a flavor of the month. There are hundreds of versions, interfaces, etc and the versions get traction for a year or two then disappear. I don't see it ever gaining a meaningful user base because of this.

So the thing that makes it cool (no one owns it and it is free), is also the reason why no one runs it.

My question still stands, how many people run Linux? :sibWaddle:

If you are referring numbers of consumers running a surface system then yes you are correct: less than 2.2% of consumers use Linux as their main working environment[source]. The picture changes when looking at the stats for server users: more than 82% use the Linux kernel [source].

It's all about where you use it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS