Login

russian armor

Please make bigger maps for coh3

22 Mar 2022, 23:06 PM

The current state of the art in coh2 is a range battle for certain 2-3 points on a map. Espacially in 3v3 / 4v4 the late game focus on 1-2 spots which ends always in the same strategy. Allies camp with jacksons / fireflys in the back supported by different arties/ rockets and german try to snipe with elephant / jagd the allied tanks. Who better micro and lure the enemy in a trap wins. Thats really getting boring after the 100th game.

Would be really cool if u make bigger maps like in all the mods available for coh2 f.e. in wiking or spearhead.

U gave already the allied tanks a range bonus over the axies until they get ele / jagd which leads to pick always this commanders to survive late game vs allies. We all know this game is not realistic, its not my intention to talk in this thread about balance, it would be just cool if the gamestyle would have some more things to offer then the current one. Maybe u just make spacial maps only for 4v4 which are huge
23 Mar 2022, 05:34 AM

Map size is a matter of taste. And currently smaller maps are more popular.

Most of the 3v3 maps are 4v4 maps and are actually way too big for 3v3. Playing Lienne or La Gleize in 3v3 is like having a pencil shoved in your urethra.

4v4 is the only game mode where two players fight at the same time and place. This is almost always the fuel. Two fuels = 2 players each on each fuel. The map size almost does not matter.

Larger maps like General Mud, Vielsalm, La Gleize, etc are played much less than small/narrow maps like Hamburg or Red Ball. This leads us to believe the majority of players like smaller maps.

The other issue with large maps in team games is the match making. No one wants to play on some giant map with bad team mates. I /L immediately on large maps if I see my mate doing something stupid. I am not going to waste 20 minutes on a giant map just to get smashed because my mate is a complete noob. You do not actually get to play since your units are just walking for 1-2 minutes.

Forward retreats on large maps become very OP. This leads to very unbalanced maps.

Currently (by design?) there are a good balance between large and small maps in the map pool for 4v4. 3v3 is a mess and needs new maps. Since we do not know the complete design of Coh3, it is hard to say what size the maps should be.

I did not play any of the COH3 alphas (because the coh2 match making is broken and relicans have small PeePees)so I cant say for sure if the map sizes are good/bad for 1v1 and 2v2. But MonolithicBacon is on the mapping team and his map sizes usually vary. So there should be a good mix of sizes in Coh3. Just a guess.
23 Mar 2022, 06:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2022, 05:34 AMRosbone

In CoH2 smaller narrow maps are preferable purely, because of multiple factors:

1) Stronger factions and the most played ones - Ost\Sov dont have retreat points, meaning they are in huge disadvantage.
2) CoH2 res system has only 4 main income points, making large chunks of such maps rather pointless. Strategic points are already pointless to waste your time on (unless its a cutoff or 1v1) and on large maps they are even more pointless to attack.
3) Its super easy to spam caches without pretty much any repercussions, since time wasted getting to them isn't worth it most of the time.

And as a bonus to point №1 both Sov\Ost can utilise support weapons strate off the bat, making smaller maps much preferable because they are simply stronger on them.

vCoH for instance had much bigger maps, even redball express is like at least 1.5x if not x2 bigger then CoH2 remake.

So, liking of smaller maps is dictated by how CoH2 works, rather then genuine desire of players to play on small maps, at least for me.
23 Mar 2022, 07:40 AM

The points u mention are the design problem from coh2 and could be easily solved:

- give every faction forward hq's to retreat like a field camp

- bigger maps with more open areas and not so much stuff which block u from flanking

- current range design leads to the playstyle like mentioned. Why not make it more accurate and change it to more realistic ? Give the soviets and u.s. cheaper tanks but tiger should have nit such a poor range like now. This would maybe solve blobbing with inf as allies could have more fun to go for tanks.

- option for more zoom would give much better feeling for bigger maps

- flat big maps like airfield from spearhead are a good example for nice big map design with areas that gives tanks and infantry advantage but not possible to block with 1 mg a whole path.

Something cool would be like an option or modus u could play were u are able to choose first 3-4 units from start and can bring them with trucks to the area on the map. Many interesting things i mention are part of the coh2 mods which i feel are great and bring fresh gamestyle.
23 Mar 2022, 12:07 PM

The points u mention are the design problem from coh2 and could be easily solved:

- give every faction forward hq's to retreat like a field camp

In case you have not read the other posts on this site about how the balance team is making all of the factions play the same. That is currently a major part of playing OKW and USF for example. It is what makes them different from Ost/Sov.
23 Mar 2022, 12:57 PM

The core problem of the mapmaking in COH2 is the fact that every battle (no matter map style, size etc) ends up happening 80% of the time for fuel, then stars.

It's not good design sadly. I suggest making maps like vCOH where there were high and low fuel points (along with mp points which I really wanna see return) so that there was no point fighting somewhere for 90% of the time.

Eg if you fight too hard for fuel, the opponent will cap your manpower cutoff and starve you of troops etc. This would make the game more like battling for maneuvers and less about spamming artie.
23 Mar 2022, 15:19 PM

The core problem of the mapmaking in COH2 is the fact that every battle (no matter map style, size etc) ends up happening 80% of the time for fuel, then stars.

It's not good design sadly. I suggest making maps like vCOH where there were high and low fuel points (along with mp points which I really wanna see return) so that there was no point fighting somewhere for 90% of the time.

Eg if you fight too hard for fuel, the opponent will cap your manpower cutoff and starve you of troops etc. This would make the game more like battling for maneuvers and less about spamming artie.

Good point
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS