Option Distribution Votes
0%
0%
100%
0%
Total votes: 2
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
8 Mar 2022, 16:34 PM

So I went ahead and uploaded a WIP version of another Company of Heroes 2 custom map.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2775615941

I'm looking for any feedback regarding territory placements and if tanks can be maneuvered appropriately.
8 Mar 2022, 17:40 PM

Will download when I get home and try it with my buddy.
9 Mar 2022, 13:04 PM

Good map in all. Nice work kid.

As for the vehicles question you posed, just remember that all vehicles in COH2 have an inherent pathing problem, so don't lose sleep over it.
9 Mar 2022, 15:53 PM

Good map in all. Nice work kid.

As for the vehicles question you posed, just remember that all vehicles in COH2 have an inherent pathing problem, so don't lose sleep over it.

Noted.

Thank you taking you time with playing my level.
9 Mar 2022, 16:28 PM

Noted.

Thank you taking you time with playing my level.

No problem I really want to see more maps in COH2 so I do what I can to support map makers.
10 Mar 2022, 04:04 AM
Senior Editor Badge

if tanks can be maneuvered appropriately.

This might be old advice you already know but there's an overlay you can use to show pathing quality.
Overlay>set pass type (choose land/light/medium/heavy)>draw overlay map>draw precise map

Very good tool for visualizing routes in your map!
10 Mar 2022, 04:30 AM
Senior Editor Badge

A question and then notes based on the assumption:

Are you designing a competitive 1v1 map? If not, a lot of these things might not apply, but some will.

Here are suggestions from A_E's map making competition from ~1 year ago:
MAP CRITERIA

1) No rural maps: the map cannot be a rural map like Cossroads, Faymonville, Amily etc. – use a different setting and be creative.

2) Same flow as rural maps: the same spacing ratio, LOS distribution, and flow as tournament level rural maps.

3) VP spacing: All three should lie across the halfway line of the map or near to it. There shouldn't be a 'safe' VP.

4) Resources. 10 standard resource points per map. 2 High fuels, 2 high munis. 2 aggressively placed cut-offs per side.

5) Elevation: As little elevation as possible.

6) Garrisons: they should exist but not be dominant over VPs, cutoffs, or fuel points.

7) Red cover: should be used sparingly and logically or not at all.

8) Even point spacing. Evenly placed in clear logical capping order chains (see Amily Fields).

9) Green cover should be evenly distributed and equally accessible for both sides.

10) Lighting/Weather the map should have good brightness and contrast levels without weather affects such as snow/ rain/ or fog - to maximise visibility.

This is pretty strict as the maps were designed for super competitive play but these guiding principles are good for any map you're making with an eye for the competitive or even automatch scene:

Some notes from myself:
1) improper fuel and munition points used. The standard is +11 muni and +7 fuel; those both have the _mp at the end to indicate they're for multiplayer maps with the right values

2) Cutoffs are too close to base, munitions points too close to base. If you want munition points to be "safe" that's fine, but ideally the cutoff for them would be closer to the middle.

3) garrisonable buildings in or near base sectors are bad. This means an opponent could put a unit in there and kill units in your base which is supposed to be your safe space. It's possible to block the doors for the buildings on the outside but accessible from the inside but I'm not sure if that's worth the hassle.

4) The top section having three access points is fine as they're evenly spaced, but you might want to consider making that space somewhat safe from the rest of the map. Reason being, you can operate somewhat independently there with units you're taking away from the rest of the map while your opponent can't stop a push with a unit that has easy access to the rest of the map.

5) one too many standard territory point; the competitive standard is 10 but you've got 11. The middle point could be a great single munition point (as opposed to one from each side) or otherwise you've got to figure out how to divide the space up.

6) two big buildings on the bottom VP; could work as it's fair and balanced in layout but in practice, due to faction design, building play just isn't fun or balanced for all factions.

7) Middle VP being inside a building is a bit of a meme tbh. Depending on how much you want to change, the middle train station could be maneuverable ruins with the point inside of it! But that would upset the scale of the map quite a bit.
11 Mar 2022, 18:07 PM

A question and then notes based on the assumption:

Are you designing a competitive 1v1 map? If not, a lot of these things might not apply, but some will.

Here are suggestions from A_E's map making competition from ~1 year ago:
MAP CRITERIA

1) No rural maps: the map cannot be a rural map like Cossroads, Faymonville, Amily etc. – use a different setting and be creative.

2) Same flow as rural maps: the same spacing ratio, LOS distribution, and flow as tournament level rural maps.

3) VP spacing: All three should lie across the halfway line of the map or near to it. There shouldn't be a 'safe' VP.

4) Resources. 10 standard resource points per map. 2 High fuels, 2 high munis. 2 aggressively placed cut-offs per side.

5) Elevation: As little elevation as possible.

6) Garrisons: they should exist but not be dominant over VPs, cutoffs, or fuel points.

7) Red cover: should be used sparingly and logically or not at all.

8) Even point spacing. Evenly placed in clear logical capping order chains (see Amily Fields).

9) Green cover should be evenly distributed and equally accessible for both sides.

10) Lighting/Weather the map should have good brightness and contrast levels without weather affects such as snow/ rain/ or fog - to maximise visibility.

This is pretty strict as the maps were designed for super competitive play but these guiding principles are good for any map you're making with an eye for the competitive or even automatch scene:

Some notes from myself:
1) improper fuel and munition points used. The standard is +11 muni and +7 fuel; those both have the _mp at the end to indicate they're for multiplayer maps with the right values

2) Cutoffs are too close to base, munitions points too close to base. If you want munition points to be "safe" that's fine, but ideally the cutoff for them would be closer to the middle.

3) garrisonable buildings in or near base sectors are bad. This means an opponent could put a unit in there and kill units in your base which is supposed to be your safe space. It's possible to block the doors for the buildings on the outside but accessible from the inside but I'm not sure if that's worth the hassle.

4) The top section having three access points is fine as they're evenly spaced, but you might want to consider making that space somewhat safe from the rest of the map. Reason being, you can operate somewhat independently there with units you're taking away from the rest of the map while your opponent can't stop a push with a unit that has easy access to the rest of the map.

5) one too many standard territory point; the competitive standard is 10 but you've got 11. The middle point could be a great single munition point (as opposed to one from each side) or otherwise you've got to figure out how to divide the space up.

6) two big buildings on the bottom VP; could work as it's fair and balanced in layout but in practice, due to faction design, building play just isn't fun or balanced for all factions.

7) Middle VP being inside a building is a bit of a meme tbh. Depending on how much you want to change, the middle train station could be maneuverable ruins with the point inside of it! But that would upset the scale of the map quite a bit.

Really solid points. Very appreciated.

Making a competitively viable map is extremely difficult and I won't pretend this is one. I'm going to take a look into redividing the map and adjust some of the spacing.

I'll Take into account the cutoffs and your statement about the garrison buildings at the bases.

Again thank you for the solid feedback. I'm sure future updates will make the map looks totally different.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 30
unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment