Login

russian armor

Brens on CQC units

26 Aug 2021, 18:30 PM

Do CQC units like the Commandos and Assault Sections benefit greatly from the Bren guns or should they be left alone in fighting only on close quarters? I have heard mixed answers about this and I would love to read more thoughts on this
26 Aug 2021, 21:22 PM

Commandos get a 'super bren' passive modifier that with 2 Brens gives them the far range firepower of a full 5 man IS + 2 IS Brens at far iirc. Mandos might be able to fire the brens on the move, can't remember.

AssIS do not benefit from any modifiers and you hurt yourself getting them. Nor can they fire them on the move.
27 Aug 2021, 04:39 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

The main thing about most infantry upgrades is that they're upgrades: pay 45-60 munitions to increase the overall fighting power of your squad. There's a lot of nuance to it, but generally you pay munitions to get increased performance.

The thing about putting brens on commandos is that this doesn't really increase the overall combat effectiveness of the squad, it just changes them from a great close range ambusher to a great long range unit. Commandos with brens ARE great, but so are commandos with their base stens. In fact, bren commandos don't really do anything that sections don't already do, unlike the ambushing sten commandos.

Basically, you pay munitions to turn a strong unit that fills a gap in your army into a strong unit that does what your army already does. Not really worth it.
27 Aug 2021, 09:31 AM

Commandos get a 'super bren' passive modifier that with 2 Brens gives them the far range firepower of a full 5 man IS + 2 IS Brens at far iirc. Mandos might be able to fire the brens on the move, can't remember.

AssIS do not benefit from any modifiers and you hurt yourself getting them. Nor can they fire them on the move.

Do Assault Officers work like Assault Sections on Bren upgrades too?
27 Aug 2021, 09:32 AM

The main thing about most infantry upgrades is that they're upgrades: pay 45-60 munitions to increase the overall fighting power of your squad. There's a lot of nuance to it, but generally you pay munitions to get increased performance.

The thing about putting brens on commandos is that this doesn't really increase the overall combat effectiveness of the squad, it just changes them from a great close range ambusher to a great long range unit. Commandos with brens ARE great, but so are commandos with their base stens. In fact, bren commandos don't really do anything that sections don't already do, unlike the ambushing sten commandos.

Basically, you pay munitions to turn a strong unit that fills a gap in your army into a strong unit that does what your army already does. Not really worth it.

This is a game changer, thanks for the info!
27 Aug 2021, 12:10 PM

Do Assault Officers work like Assault Sections on Bren upgrades too?

Did some quick double checking and seems they work just like ASI and IS yes. I've never used them like that for reasons mentioned already by JFJ. No fire on the move with Brens and they don't have the heavy weapons expert icon:

Commandos can fire their Brens on the move.
28 Aug 2021, 07:38 AM

Did some quick double checking and seems they work just like ASI and IS yes. I've never used them like that for reasons mentioned already by JFJ. No fire on the move with Brens and they don't have the heavy weapons expert icon:

Commandos can fire their Brens on the move.

Thanks for testing that out, now I won't waste any ammunition on these units.
29 Aug 2021, 05:24 AM

This is a game changer, thanks for the info!

With double Bren, vet and first strike bonus they are actually onpar with Obers DPS wise, and they don't need to rely on cover to fight efficiently unlike sections.They are way too good to pass up, I usually build less sections to have 1-2 Brenmandos later on.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★