Login

russian armor

Radical: Get rid of 'turret top gunners'

18 Nov 2013, 06:36 AM

This is a primary German perk but I find that they break the immersion and buff tank/assault gun AI unnecessarily since the T-34s and the SU=85 do not get them.

In actuality, the 'turret top gunner' did not exist. It was a hull MG removed and installed on top as anti-aircraft protection during road marches. Firing the thing like a rambo against ground targets was a good way for the tank commander to get shot in the chest.
18 Nov 2013, 07:35 AM

I pointed this out already, but no one went for it.

I actually think the top gunner should only allowed for StuGs and Panzer 4s. This would help make Panther and Tigers a little more reasonable when sending infantry against them, while also accenting the more general purpose use of P4s and StuGs.

This way, both some history and gameplay balance purpose is served.
Hux
18 Nov 2013, 11:09 AM
Patrion 14

I agree. replace turret top gunner with mini neb launcher or flamethrower and call it Anti-infantry panzer tactics commander(TM) - sell for $5.
18 Nov 2013, 22:17 PM

For me its precisely the stug and the Panzer IV that are the problem. They should have no turret top gunners. While some the later models of the Stug III had a MG mount, the MG was considered a defense weapon that should be used sparingly due to the exposed position, and only 600 rounds were carried.(compared to the 2,500 rounds carried by the Panzer IV)

Anyway, the SU-85 has no top MG, and neither does the T-34 so the Germans tanks/AG getting this is immersion-breaking for me.
19 Nov 2013, 00:07 AM

It does looks kinda funny when a horde of soviet soldiers are shooting at a P4 and none of them seem to be able to hit the guy sticking out of the turret.
19 Nov 2013, 01:08 AM

It'd be pretty neat if a tank could still be upgraded with a top gunner, but it had to then be crewed by an infantry squad member.

Hence, a top gunner could then stand to be much more vulnerable and flimsy. I always found it silly when you'd have to repair a tank with a gunner killed to replace the gunner.
19 Nov 2013, 03:22 AM

ok well if you want to remove the top gunner make the main gun not miss when infantry is freaking 3 feet away from the tanks crawling around,

but seriously you want a nerf to the stug ...really this forums needs to be shutdown this is qqing out of control
19 Nov 2013, 03:24 AM

It does looks kinda funny when a horde of soviet soldiers are shooting at a P4 and none of them seem to be able to hit the guy sticking out of the turret.

or a tank cannon a mg42 turret and a coaxial shooting at infantry while they just run up to the tank, throw a grenade, then turn around and run away across a open road and lose no men.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★