Login

russian armor

countering OKW spam

8 Mar 2021, 23:34 PM

As per title. I play team games with randoms. When I play brits against OKW, the chances are excellent that I will be swamped with enemy infantry. There seems to be no way around this, and it prevents me from reaching late game. any thoughts ?
9 Mar 2021, 18:54 PM

Some old advice from the Brit player.

That was 2018 but it still probably holds true now. In duels as OKW I see a lot of 5-6 sections into 3-4 Cromwells or 1/2 Centaurs -> Crocs and I don't get the sense people are doing that for the lolz, they're doing that 'cos it's the only viable opening against Winfantry/Obers/Falls.

It's hard to say, there's always a lot of moving parts in team games but if you'd like to post a replay I'm sure we'd help to address some weaknesses or reassure you if you're playing accurately.
9 Mar 2021, 19:34 PM

As UKF you should be able to take the initial ground area (usually a fuel) with your very strong early game where OKW can't do much unless they outnumber you heavily. MG + UC to force away volks and just be wary of an early rak. But by the sounds of it, it's just inf spammers that are an issue rather than high skilled OKW players. So early rak not likely.

It is -very- important that you take the initial ground as your great early game becomes a weak midgame, so you need to dig in and fast. It is very hard for UKF to take territory from a dug in OKW, volks behind sandbags are a meme I use but in reality a major roadblock. Mortar pit and playing a bit defensive until cromwell/centaur should be your aim here. Bofors might help lock the area down but will be a prime target.
9 Mar 2021, 23:44 PM

Some old advice from the Brit player.

That was 2018 but it still probably holds true now. In duels as OKW I see a lot of 5-6 sections into 3-4 Cromwells or 1/2 Centaurs -> Crocs and I don't get the sense people are doing that for the lolz, they're doing that 'cos it's the only viable opening against Winfantry/Obers/Falls.

It's hard to say, there's always a lot of moving parts in team games but if you'd like to post a replay I'm sure we'd help to address some weaknesses or reassure you if you're playing accurately.

I'll try to post a replay, but I feel that you're right; often I feel that outspamming the spammers is my only hope. That, and playing extremely conservatively to vet up my squads and survive to late game
9 Mar 2021, 23:44 PM

As UKF you should be able to take the initial ground area (usually a fuel) with your very strong early game where OKW can't do much unless they outnumber you heavily. MG + UC to force away volks and just be wary of an early rak. But by the sounds of it, it's just inf spammers that are an issue rather than high skilled OKW players. So early rak not likely.

It is -very- important that you take the initial ground as your great early game becomes a weak midgame, so you need to dig in and fast. It is very hard for UKF to take territory from a dug in OKW, volks behind sandbags are a meme I use but in reality a major roadblock. Mortar pit and playing a bit defensive until cromwell/centaur should be your aim here. Bofors might help lock the area down but will be a prime target.

Yes, I often have to force myself to do that, as I like to play aggressively. But wouldn't any emplacement, mortar included, suffer the same as a bofors ?
10 Mar 2021, 00:48 AM

Yes, I often have to force myself to do that, as I like to play aggressively. But wouldn't any emplacement, mortar included, suffer the same as a bofors ?

Against decent+ players yes, they'll rain down ISG fire and even mortar pits will get overwhelmed eventually. 2 mortar pits can deal with even 3 ISGs but that's a very pricey investment.

If you want to play aggressive in the face of larger inf numbers then you'll definitely need brens and 5 man IS.
10 Mar 2021, 13:52 PM
Donator 11

Against decent+ players yes, they'll rain down ISG fire and even mortar pits will get overwhelmed eventually. 2 mortar pits can deal with even 3 ISGs but that's a very pricey investment.

If you want to play aggressive in the face of larger inf numbers then you'll definitely need brens and 5 man IS.

Mortar pits are cheaper than ISGs. Imo always worth it
11 Mar 2021, 01:38 AM

Well, I've definitely started bolstering earlier in the game, as well as getting brens earlier as well. I'm learning the value of mortar pits as well; I guess I just didn't really look at them too closely before, being too busy trying to aggressively grab territory and wipe squads
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 42
unknown 14
unknown 9
Germany 20

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %