Login

russian armor

Green cover suppression and some issues

11 Feb 2021, 18:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 18:06 PMPip

Probably for the best, as he is correct. Cover simply does not work like that, height(And even what the cover looks like) has exactly 0 bearing on cover. It's worth knowing that tracers from a hitscan weapon in CoH2 are merely visual, and them going over an obstacle or striking something between the firing unit and their target is meaningless.

I'm sure you've seen an MG set up behind a wall, with (almost) every round fired striking the wall instead of going towards their target? This doesn't actually affect the MG's damage or suppression at all, rounds that are destined to strike a model still phase through everything and hit him anyway, any rounds stopped were never going to hit anything.

Some weapons do have issues with height difference. I am pretty sure flamer can be effected by steep height difference.

I have not tested for HMG specifically but I would be surprised if there where issues on specific cases.
11 Feb 2021, 18:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 18:06 PMPip

Probably for the best, as he is correct. Cover simply does not work like that, height(And even what the cover looks like) has exactly 0 bearing on cover. It's worth knowing that tracers from a hitscan weapon in CoH2 are merely visual, and them going over an obstacle or striking something between the firing unit and their target is meaningless.

I'm sure you've seen an MG set up behind a wall, with (almost) every round fired striking the wall instead of going towards their target? This doesn't actually affect the MG's damage or suppression at all, rounds that are destined to strike a model still phase through everything and hit him anyway, any rounds stopped were never going to hit anything.

Try garrisoning an Mg on the top of the building and build a cover with an infantry and watch them fight
Pip
11 Feb 2021, 18:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 18:12 PMVipper

Some weapons do have issues with height difference. I am pretty sure flamer can be effected by steep height difference.

I have not tested for HMG specifically but I would be surprised if there where issues on specific cases.

If Flamers have an issue, its not a "cover" issue, it'll be to do with Flamers likely having a projectile of some sort. I mean, this is why Tanks and other projectile units have issues with height, after all.

I'm reasonably certain the raycast blocker (Or however the engine calculates it) governing "cover" properties is infinitely high, or at least so high as to be irrelevant in any legitimate sense in the game. You'd need to be absurdly high off of the target, and already within the ten range that invalidates cover anyway.

This is assuming there's even a "height" given to either the raycast or the blocker, I'm not even sure the cover calculation interacts with height at all. I dont see any reason it wouldn't be just be locked on the z-axis, so unless Lelic used some really stupid way to calculate whether one unit behind cover relative to another, I don't see this being a thing.
11 Feb 2021, 19:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 18:32 PMPip

If Flamers have an issue, its not a "cover" issue, it'll be to do with Flamers likely having a projectile of some sort. I mean, this is why Tanks and other projectile units have issues with height, after all.

Flamer do not have a projectile so the issue is irrelevant to the issue "ballistic weapon" have

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 18:32 PMPip

I'm reasonably certain the raycast blocker (Or however the engine calculates it) governing "cover" properties is infinitely high, or at least so high as to be irrelevant in any legitimate sense in the game. You'd need to be absurdly high off of the target, and already within the ten range that invalidates cover anyway.

This is assuming there's even a "height" given to either the raycast or the blocker, I'm not even sure the cover calculation interacts with height at all. I dont see any reason it wouldn't be just be locked on the z-axis, so unless Lelic used some really stupid way to calculate whether one unit behind cover relative to another, I don't see this being a thing.

It rather easy to have cover problems with height difference since cover can be direction and the engine might believe that that there is no cover from the direction fire is coming if there sufficient height difference. Once more I am not saying there such an issue but I wouldn't be surprised if there still was one.

I had actually pointed out that to Relic and they did make change, which is included in patch notes:

"Directional cover is now analyzed on a 2D basis. This prevents scenarios from occurring where entities would not receive their cover bonus."
Pip
11 Feb 2021, 19:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 19:14 PMVipper

Flamer do not have a projectile so the issue is irrelevant to the issue "ballistic weapon" have.

Do you have some footage of this supposed flamer issue? I havent heard of, nor seen it, whatever it is.

"Directional cover is now analyzed on a 2D basis. This prevents scenarios from occurring where entities would not receive their cover bonus."

Well then, there you go, you've answered your own question. Directional cover is calculated on an x/y plane now, with no height component. Assuming Lelic havent lied for some reason, there's 0 reason being higher would impact the cover calculation at all, as a change on the Z axis doesn't have any impact at all on the X/Y axes.
11 Feb 2021, 20:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 19:37 PMPip

Do you have some footage of this supposed flamer issue? I havent heard of, nor seen it, whatever it is.

No, you can test yourself in the rails and metal "trenches" thou.

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 19:37 PMPip

Well then, there you go, you've answered your own question. Directional cover is calculated on an x/y plane now, with no height component. Assuming Lelic havent lied for some reason, there's 0 reason being higher would impact the cover calculation at all, as a change on the Z axis doesn't have any impact at all on the X/Y axes.

This simply confirm that what I pointed to Relic at the time was correct and there where issues with cover and elevation.

Weather they have successful in fixing the issues is another story and that is why I said that I would not be surprised if same issues still remained.
Pip
11 Feb 2021, 20:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 20:19 PMVipper

No, you can test yourself in the rails and metal "trenches" thou.

You haven't even said what the issue is supposed to be exactly, how am I meant to test something if i don't know what I'm meant to be looking for?

This simply confirm that what I pointed to Relic at the time was correct and there where issues with cover and elevation.

Weather they have successful in fixing the issues is another story and that is why I said that I would not be surprised if same issues still remained.

Unless there's some evidence of a height differential affecting cover, there's really no reason to assume Lelic didn't fix it when they said they did, with the method they said they used. I can't see any reason for them to fuck up a calculation like this on a 2d plane, and I've never seen height to make any sort of difference in a cover-to-cover fight.
11 Feb 2021, 20:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 20:32 PMPip

You haven't even said what the issue is supposed to be exactly, how am I meant to test something if i don't know what I'm meant to be looking for?

Unless there's some evidence of a height differential affecting cover, there's really no reason to assume Lelic didn't fix it when they said they did, with the method they said they used. I can't see any reason for them to fuck up a calculation like this on a 2d plane, and I've never seen height to make any sort of difference in a cover-to-cover fight.

Get a entity with flamer and attack a infatry in one of the trenches of that map and see how much damage it does.
Pip
11 Feb 2021, 22:12 PM

For whatever reason, most flame bursts fired do nothing to the conscript squad targeted in the trenches on Rails and Metal, though there is a lick of flame that consistently appears some distance behind the targeted squad, as can be seen in the screenshot. This lick of flame does no damage, and is apparently just a visual bug. I had thought at first that the flame AOE was "Deflected" behind the squad somehow, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The damaged squad in the image is from a couple of mosin shots fired by a conscript squad I spawned, not from the flames, I merely forgot to set all squads HP to 100% before beginning the tests.

Interestingly, flame bursts do rarely "connect" with the squad in the trench, and does 20 damage (To the lowest three models in the trench) for some reason, despite them being in Green Cover. The flame burst also did 16 damage to one model from the closest Conscript squad to the Pioneer (The model closest to the aformentioned three Conscripts).

Is this a known bug? I wonder what causes this. This doesn't seem to just be a case of Cover not working.
11 Feb 2021, 22:22 PM

Pip
11 Feb 2021, 22:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Feb 2021, 22:22 PMVipper

I for one have reported it.

https://www.coh2.org/topic/107439/elevation-and-weapons

You might want to append precisely what happens, then, because your bug report is extremely vague, which is likely why it hasn't been commented upon. Feel free to use my post/screenshots.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★