Login

russian armor

60 Hz monitor versus 144 Hz

10 Jul 2020, 17:22 PM

Has anyone here upgraded from a 60 Hz refresh rate monitor to a 144? If so, did they notice a difference in COH2 or is the difference mostly in playing first-person-shooters?
10 Jul 2020, 20:44 PM

For COH2 FreeSync or Gsync are probably more important than 144 Hz because the game is so poorly optimised you will rarely have more than 60-80 FPS anyway after 20-30 minutes in a game. The advantage isn't as big as in competitive games that are geared towards having constantly high FPS.

Not sure what else to tell you to be honest. I switched to a new monitor a few months ago and upgraded from 60 to 144Hz and it was a good improvement overall but I wouldn't have done it just for COH2 for reasons mentioned above.
10 Jul 2020, 22:17 PM

I went to 144Hz Gsync and could never go back. In highly optimised games like CSGO it's just so damn buttery smooth that it feels good every time I start a match.

But as blvckdream says, between the severe engine problems and lack of rapid camera movement/twitch reactions COH2 will reap few benefits. The low/inconsistent frame rates are where Gsync and Freesync help to make things more bearable, but they still won't make actual game input any more responsive.
10 Jul 2020, 23:33 PM

Thanks, I was somewhat doubting it would make a difference with COH. My framerates currently start out around 100 if I don't have a framerate limiter on, but usually drift down to 40-50 by the end of a match. I have a Dell Ultrasharp U2518D which has a really nice picture and have had great luck with Dell monitors over the decades. I'm a little hesitant to try something else. Dell doesn't have much in the way of fast IPS panels so I'd have to look at an Asus, Acer or LG.

I bought a new video card recently but haven't noticed much of a framerate difference between my old 1060 and my new 2060 so I'm guessing that I'm CPU-limited, which is a little annoying given that I also just got a Ryzen 7 3800x.

I occasionally play BF4. The monitor seems fine if I'm trying to snipe but fighting close to people never goes well, and I'm not sure how much is the monitor and how much is just me being old.

Do you use a 24" or 27"? I've used both but sometimes think the 24 is better. (The U2518 is technically a 25", but is a lot closer to a 24" than a 27")
11 Jul 2020, 07:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2020, 23:33 PMGrumpy
*Snip*

Dell Ultrasharps are definitely great for affordable image quality.

COH2's frame rate drops have little to do with your hardware. The engine just develops severe bottlenecks as each deterministic match goes on and it has to keep track of more and more things about the game state with each tick. It's just a poor optimisation issue and there's little you can do about it besides avoiding larger team games, sadly. Any modern video card will be majorly underutilised by this game. High end Intel CPUs will probably do slightly better, but not by much.

My screen is the superb (but probably now discontinued) ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Gaming Monitor - 27" 2560 x 1440 IPS 144-165Hz G-SYNC™. I really didn't want to compromise on any of those things going in, and the price tag reflected it, but I'm very happy with it. Cheaper GSync Compatible variants are probably available now. The only issue I had with this was that the factory colour calibration was a joke. I had to borrow the calibrator from work to reduce the ugly yellow hue it arrived with. Most people would have to just eyeball the calibration, but that's fine with games. Vibrancy is probably better than colour accuracy in that situation (and software profiles don't work in most full screen games either).

27" is pretty big, so I have to push it to the back of the desk, but that's the only size these panels were available in at the time. The 25" Ultrasharps at work are more like what I'd prefer ideally, but I'm also getting old and the bigger pixels probably help with those headshots.
11 Jul 2020, 13:47 PM

Don't listen to what the above have said, let's be realistic. There are huge advantages to be able to drive a higher frame rate especially with a higher hz rate monitor.

The key is being able to match a stable FPS with a locked hertz rate on your monitor.

Graphics are unimportant, having a higher FPS is king.

Work out your average FPS, lock it using a program such as rivatuner and enjoy the advantages you get as a result. Obviously, FPS games will get the greatest advantage but having a stable FPS on even a RTS is a huge advantage.

Your best bet is too google battle nonsense, watch his youtube videos. Man is smarter than all of us and has some amazing videos that will benefit almost all of you.
11 Jul 2020, 15:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2020, 07:54 AMCyanara

snip

If I could find a my Ultrasharp with a 144 refresh rate, I'd get it in a minute. When I had a 27", it sometimes seemed too big because my monitor sits only 75 cm away from me. I did try a 24" Acer Nitro with a 144HZ VA panel. I hated it and boxed it back up after a couple hours. After getting used to the laser-sharp text of my Dell, it's hard to go to something else.

One of my friends has the same Asus and really likes it. It was him that suggested I try something faster. Your Asus isn't available anymore, but the one below seems to be the same.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XG279Q-Compatible-DisplayHDR-DisplayPort/dp/B083Z8JXW6/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=asus+27%22+gaming+monitor&qid=1594479026&s=electronics&sr=1-6
11 Jul 2020, 16:09 PM

Don't listen to what the above have said, let's be realistic. There are huge advantages to be able to drive a higher frame rate especially with a higher hz rate monitor.

The key is being able to match a stable FPS with a locked hertz rate on your monitor.

Graphics are unimportant, having a higher FPS is king.

Work out your average FPS, lock it using a program such as rivatuner and enjoy the advantages you get as a result. Obviously, FPS games will get the greatest advantage but having a stable FPS on even a RTS is a huge advantage.

Your best bet is too google battle nonsense, watch his youtube videos. Man is smarter than all of us and has some amazing videos that will benefit almost all of you.

Thanks for the tip about battle nonsense. I watched a couple of his videos. One of his confirmed something that I thought I was seeing, which is that VSYNC seemed to make things more sluggish. I'd turned it off on all my games and just use frame limiters whenever possible.

I really liked the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnpTVFuIUUU

I played a ton of BF2. It was great for playing with friends as a squad. The new Battlefields feel more like Counterstrike than Battlefield. BFBC2 was also pretty good. I would have bought a BFBC3 had they made it. Battle nonsense is spot on in his criticism of BF4.

I do think Blackdream's and Cyanara's comments were helpful in regards to COH. I just went through a hardware update and it didn't change COH2's very much.
11 Jul 2020, 16:29 PM

does gsync or freesync even work for coh2? for me its always terrible flickering
11 Jul 2020, 19:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2020, 16:29 PMSmaug
does gsync or freesync even work for coh2? for me its always terrible flickering

Do you get flickering only when you enable freesync or gsync?
12 Jul 2020, 00:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2020, 16:29 PMSmaug

Works fine for me. Unless you have a particularly low frame rate you really shouldn't notice flicker in COH2 anyway though since what's on screen doesn't change rapidly like when you flick your camera around in an FPS. Also, it should be more of a screen tearing than a flickering. It sounds like you may have a larger problem.

I'm not clear as to whether you have Gsync/Freesync yet, but try enabling V-Sync to see if it resolves the issue. If so, a decent Gsync/Freesync setup should work fine. V-Sync definitely has awful input lag though, so I'd only recommend using it diagnostically.
12 Jul 2020, 01:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2020, 15:51 PMGrumpy
Your Asus isn't available anymore, but the one below seems to be the same.

Yeah, since I bought mine both HDR and Gsync Compatible have become a thing, so it makes sense they would have refreshed their range. HDR is largely marketing nonsense at 400 nits but switching from Gsync to Gsync compatible would save real money on the cost of the monitor and also allow you to switch between Nvidia and AMD down the track.

It will be a while before I trust AMD GPUs again though, so I'm not too concerned with being personally limited to Nvidia.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★