Login

russian armor

Raketenwerfer quality of life

14 Jun 2020, 11:08 AM

First of all, I don't want to make this a balance discussion. I'd just like to make a conversation about how the game engine and mechanics affect the life of our dearly beloved Raketenwerfer.

From my perspective the #1 mechanical issue of this unit is the animations. It pretty much wants to act like any wheeled team weapon, except it doesen't have a UI button for reverse command. This leads to some very interesting maneuvering when you would like to reposition it without doing a couple of 90-180 degree turns while you're at it. Of course you people are going to say "just do short enough clicks so the wepon will move in reverse". It's still an unnecessary chore. Also if you would like to just change the angle of the weapon it often results in the crew picking it up and doing a little circle ritual before they can start setting the weapon up again. I do feel that other AT guns perform a lot better in terms of how the animations work in these situations.

Also the gun itself seems to take a lot more damage from direct and indirect fire, than it's counterparts. Or maybe thats just me. I know I don't know how to play, but a small quality of life improvement would be in order for this gun.

14 Jun 2020, 11:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2020, 11:08 AMLuoppis
First of all, I don't want to make this a balance discussion. I'd just like to make a conversation about how the game engine and mechanics affect the life of our dearly beloved Raketenwerfer.

From my perspective the #1 mechanical issue of this unit is the animations. It pretty much wants to act like any wheeled team weapon, except it doesen't have a UI button for reverse command. This leads to some very interesting maneuvering when you would like to reposition it without doing a couple of 90-180 degree turns while you're at it. Of course you people are going to say "just do short enough clicks so the wepon will move in reverse". It's still an unnecessary chore. Also if you would like to just change the angle of the weapon it often results in the crew picking it up and doing a little circle ritual before they can start setting the weapon up again. I do feel that other AT guns perform a lot better in terms of how the animations work in these situations.

That's because it acts more like maxim that can reverse in certain condition while actual ATGs are more like vehicles.
To change facing without circles you need to put it slightly ahead of current position.

Also the gun itself seems to take a lot more damage from direct and indirect fire, than it's counterparts. Or maybe thats just me. I know I don't know how to play, but a small quality of life improvement would be in order for this gun.

It got the same armor and health as any other gun, so just observation bias I guess.
14 Jun 2020, 11:12 AM

Well it’s got no gun shield so his observation is actually correct.
14 Jun 2020, 11:31 AM

Well it’s got no gun shield so his observation is actually correct.

Gun shield doesn't lower dmg on the weapon itself.
15 Jun 2020, 01:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2020, 11:31 AMKatitof

as it was already mentioned several times, gunshield is supposed to provide green cover to some of the crew, however due to lelic coding, it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. Also helps to avoid aoe damage.

So yes, overall the raketencrew takes more dmg than a shiedled atg.
15 Jun 2020, 03:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2020, 11:31 AMKatitof

Interesting to see someone who just found out that the rakaten couldn't vet 0 stealth in feb gracing us with their intense knowledge of the unit
15 Jun 2020, 06:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2020, 01:05 AMJiav

as it was already mentioned several times, gunshield is supposed to provide green cover to some of the crew, however due to lelic coding, it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. Also helps to avoid aoe damage.

So yes, overall the raketencrew takes more dmg than a shiedled atg.

You.... do realize that gun and crew are 2 different things?
15 Jun 2020, 08:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2020, 06:55 AMKatitof

You.... do realize that gun and crew are 2 different things?

you're right if he means the gun only, i think he is referring to the overall unit, including the crew as well
15 Jun 2020, 09:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2020, 11:08 AMLuoppis

Also the gun itself seems to take a lot more damage from direct and indirect fire, than it's counterparts.

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2020, 08:48 AMJiav

you're right if he means the gun only, i think he is referring to the overall unit, including the crew as well

It definitely seems like he's talking about the gun only. Of course only he can confirm, but it would be an understandable assumption.

Does anyone know the target size of the rakketen gun compared to other AT guns (the weapon, not the crew)?
15 Jun 2020, 11:43 AM

Raketen target size is 10, M-42 is 16 and all others are 20
15 Jun 2020, 22:10 PM

you shall not remove the circle ritual, for its the most impotant feature of OKW

I would like to see a revesme movement on raketens though
23 Jun 2020, 16:46 PM

Well I was talking about the gun hardware itself taking a load of damage and needing repairs to keep it from turning into dust. Good thing you guys uncovered the target size, which is surprisingly small, so does it come down to the weapons health? Of course also the crew does like to step in front of bullets. Having 5 men does help a little, unless they get caught in a similar death loop as the maxim crews. Of course you should expect me to have a very biased observation towards this units performance. It's small quirks have blown my mind a few times too much.

My main concern is most positively the horrible rotation when the weapon is doing it's dance of death. Add this to the setup timer and animation and you got a very long pass time of (re)positioning of this dearly belowed gun. A reverse command option would be the most helpful to me atleast, because I don't feel I have the same issues with other AT guns even though you can get them to do all sorts of quirky things too.
23 Jun 2020, 16:53 PM

Whats the barrier from a reverse command? Is there something special in the Raketen squad files? Finally, what hotkey would it be? Id suggest make reverse R and reteat F or something. Less jank is always good.

Not really the right place, but increasing RA to 1.25 would also make it equal to other retreatable team weapons, QoL for opposong players.

Otherwise, its a nice way to remove jank.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★