Login

russian armor

System randomly restarts

19 Apr 2020, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Hi all,

Recently I've had issues running any game (from RTS to RPG to FPS) unless it is very undemanding on the graphics card (e.g. grand strategy games).

The game runs fine, then all of a sudden the system restarts. No BSOD.

I've checked temperatures, both my CPU and GPU max out at around 60 degrees C, so I don't believe that my system is overheating.

I've run stress tests in OCCT. The CPU test is fine, I get a restart at around 15min into the GPU error-checking test, but the strange thing is I get a restart about 10 min into the PSU stress test as well (CPU test plus GPU burn test).

What is the issue, exactly? GPU? PSU? I've looked online and some suggest that it may be a RAM issue that's causing the issue.

Help is appreciated.

My build:

Motherboard
- ASRock B450M Pro4
CPU
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700
CPU Cooler
- AMD Wraith Spire RGB
RAM
- Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666 2x8GB Dual-Channel
GPU
- MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
SSD
- Intel 535 Series 240GB
HDD
- WD Caviar 500GB 7.2k RPM
PSU
- Super Flower LEADEX GOLD 550W
20 Apr 2020, 04:27 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Hi all,

Recently I've had issues running any game (from RTS to RPG to FPS) unless it is very undemanding on the graphics card (e.g. grand strategy games).

The game runs fine, then all of a sudden the system restarts. No BSOD.

I've checked temperatures, both my CPU and GPU max out at around 60 degrees C, so I don't believe that my system is overheating.

I've run stress tests in OCCT. The CPU test is fine, I get a restart at around 15min into the GPU error-checking test, but the strange thing is I get a restart about 10 min into the PSU stress test as well (CPU test plus GPU burn test).

What is the issue, exactly? GPU? PSU? I've looked online and some suggest that it may be a RAM issue that's causing the issue.

Help is appreciated.

My build:

Motherboard
- ASRock B450M Pro4
CPU
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700
CPU Cooler
- AMD Wraith Spire RGB
RAM
- Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666 2x8GB Dual-Channel
GPU
- MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
SSD
- Intel 535 Series 240GB
HDD
- WD Caviar 500GB 7.2k RPM
PSU
- Super Flower LEADEX GOLD 550W

Had an issue few months back where my PC would randomly restart after putting it under some kind of stress but not while idle. I came to the conclusion that my PSU was undervolting the PC. It had its life by that point and I ain't exactly super great at PC maintainence.

Don't know what kind of alternative parts you have access to, but if you've got any the more things you can check by swapping parts the better.

You can try and remove the GPU and see if that solves the issue. Unsure how well some of those higher stress games will run on integrated but who knows.
20 Apr 2020, 05:51 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Had an issue few months back where my PC would randomly restart after putting it under some kind of stress but not while idle. I came to the conclusion that my PSU was undervolting the PC. It had its life by that point and I ain't exactly super great at PC maintainence.

Don't know what kind of alternative parts you have access to, but if you've got any the more things you can check by swapping parts the better.

You can try and remove the GPU and see if that solves the issue. Unsure how well some of those higher stress games will run on integrated but who knows.

My PSU is barely a year old, of a reputable brand, and of good quality, so I'm hesitant to write it off as broken or faulty. Hence the confusion.

My R7 1700 doesn't have intergated graphics, but I'll ask around for people who happen to have spares/extra parts.

Will check and update, thanks.
20 Apr 2020, 08:50 AM

I had the same issue, it turned out it was my PSU and a setting in windows. Tho for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, but might be worth a google.

Hope it helps.
21 Apr 2020, 01:50 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Quick update: the system restart is related to temperature. If I run a second round of testing before the system has cooled down enough from the previous run, the time-until-restart is greatly reduced (approx 1 hr to approx 10 min).

Pretty sure it's the GPU now, will take my friend's card for a spin later.
3 May 2020, 06:09 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

GPU died, PSU died. Got replacements.

Cheers everyone.
3 May 2020, 06:17 AM

GPU died, PSU died. Got replacements.

Cheers everyone.

In which order? I suppose it doesn't really matter, either one can kill the other. Unfortunate it took both, especially the GPU. GPUs are very expensive.
3 May 2020, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

In which order? I suppose it doesn't really matter, either one can kill the other. Unfortunate it took both, especially the GPU. GPUs are very expensive.

The restarts were caused by the PSU. The GPU started giving me artifacts when I attempted to play, so I decided to swap both.

At least I can play CoH2 at 60FPS now with my RX 5700 :snfPeter:
3 May 2020, 18:45 PM

The restarts were caused by the PSU. The GPU started giving me artifacts when I attempted to play, so I decided to swap both.

At least I can play CoH2 at 60FPS now with my RX 5700 :snfPeter:

I have a 5700 XT :) I’d say it would be a very nice card if I didn’t have such issues with drivers the first few months. Personally won’t be buying AMD again but for its price I gotta admit it is very nice
4 May 2020, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I have a 5700 XT :) I’d say it would be a very nice card if I didn’t have such issues with drivers the first few months. Personally won’t be buying AMD again but for its price I gotta admit it is very nice

I heard of those driver issues, pretty horrendous stuff. Thankfully I waited out the storm :snfPeter:

AMD's stuff has always been about price performance. However, if NVIDIA's DLSS 2.0 takes off, I don't see AMD being competitive anytime soon.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★