Login

russian armor

Stormtroopers 'Tactical Advance' impedes retreat

23 Mar 2020, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think this has been brought up sometime ago.

Stormtroopers, once upgraded with MP40s, have a tactical advance ability that basically increases DPS in exchange for slower walking speed. The ability itself is fine, BUT:
It still "works" on retreat. Meaning, if you hit retreat while it is still active, your unit retreats slower than usual, which is basically the pace if normally walking units.

Stormtroopers are 4 model squads. There's a decent chance that something unforeseeable happens during the 10 seconds duration of the ability and you need to retreat. It should be canceled just like every other ability when hitting retreat.

Any chance this could make it still into the patch?
23 Mar 2020, 12:54 PM

I think the same happens with Paratroopers but I am not 100% sure. In any case I am a bit on the fence about this. One of my favorite things to do with Paras in getting them behind the enemy and then tac-assaulting retreating sqauds, which does crazy amounts of damage and wipes. Eventhough it's not easy to flank like that, it still feels a bit cheesy to cut down near full-health squads. At least for Paratroopers I think the added risk of slow retreat is fair for the amount of potential reward - maybe for Storms as well since flanking is so much easier (invisibility helps a lot).
23 Mar 2020, 15:16 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The game has been specifically changed to avoid this kind of spawn-in cheese. Especially Stormtroopers were forced to upgrade MP40s to avoid this sudden spawning of a high DPS squad on your retreat path.

I don't know about Paratroopers, could be the same, but they are 6 men as well and can take a surprise tank or mortar shot. If you pop the ability with Stormtroopers and two of your models get wiped quickly (and this is not a once in a million games scenario), that's basically your whole squad gone.

The ability grants high DPS boost for medium amount of mun. I thought the decreased speed was there to avoid this squad basically chasing everything down. But as it is right now it can be a huge risk for a very expensive squad.
23 Mar 2020, 16:00 PM

Yeah

Any sort of speed/survival-ability debuffs bein applied on retreat is just plain stupid and should be removed
23 Mar 2020, 16:08 PM

Paratroopers have the exact same ability (albeit 5 muni cheaper for some reason, probably a holdover from when Stormtroopers had STG-44s). It functions identically.

Making these abilities no longer apply when retreating would be simple enough, I think.
24 Mar 2020, 07:47 AM

If you retreat while the ability is still active, then you also get back the munition price of the tactical advance, similar to cancelling a grenade for example. In other words, it balances itself out in a weird way.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight