Login

russian armor

What unit do you miss from COH1?

7 Nov 2013, 21:03 PM

DanielD:

-Doctrine system is poor, no strategic choices at all. Probably my biggest gripe. Gone are the days of seeing a doctrine choice and adapting because guess what, 3 doctrines have the same ability and you cant even choose a path to unlock them. Its all done for you in case we're too nubbish to make a strategic choice like in COH1.
-Resource system lessens strategic importance in map strategy. Why rush a fuel if you get plenty of fuel from right outside your base?
-You can cap with an AT gun ffs. Remember the days of choosing to cap or fight? Another strategic choice gone.
-Without a fuel investment for upgrades axis has no strategic choice on how to spend fuel. You just tech freely. Another choice gone.
-Cold Tech is a gimmick that dumbs down flanking and agressiveness. It looks pretty but it dumbs down the pace of the game and makes early flanking near impossible on some maps.
-Shall i mention pay to win commanders? I choose to spend $5 every month for the new OP flavor of the month, now there's a strategic choice that Relic likes!
-You cant even choose to strategically soft retreat because units cant fire backwards anymore. Yet another downgrade from COH microing.
-Try to lay a german single anti infantry mine xD... Talk about stupid downgrade.

Sooo many strategic choices that made COH1 great are gone.

Yeah, some good points esp. regarding the less interesting/complex doctrine system and the lack of things to spend fuel on besides vehicles and teching. The other stuff I wont debate you on since it's mostly subjective ( I happen to enjoy the new capping dynamic, I think coldtech could be improved to be fun, etc etc). It seems like a lot of things were arbitrarily changed because the design guys didn't want to copy CoH 1.

I'm optimistic however because already it seems like every unit has its place in the game, whereas things like the .30cal and the american mortar, the M5, and the officer were all pretty bad choices most of the time. If they do continue to add units and doctrines its foreseeable that there will actually be more variety in CoH 2 strats then there ever were in CoH 1.
7 Nov 2013, 21:10 PM

I love the fast M8. You could totally push your opponent off the field, make it very difficult for them to get back on, and by then you've teched up to win!! It's ability to swing left and right and attack units attempting to harass your points was unmatched. And when it reached Vet 3 it was a boss!!!
7 Nov 2013, 21:21 PM

I agree that the commander tech tree is the worst part of COH2.
Cold Tech slow the game pacing and punishes the flanking or attacking side.
Command delay.

A lobby is missing in a 2013RTS game, that's new.
7 Nov 2013, 22:44 PM

Dont know, but with so many commander options I think it adds to the variety of styles of gameplay. In vCoH: 2 factions per side x 3 doctrines each. If you wanted to go defensive with Germans you chose either Wehr Defensive doctrine or PE Luftwaffe (because of the static weapons) and to a lesser degree scorched earth because of the barricades, booby traps. In Coh2 you can go def with Festung armor (static PaK43, hull down, Command Panzer with def buffs), Fortified armor (Elefant instead of PaK43), the new Defensive doctrine and maybe Joint operations and Osttruppen doctrine (because of the trenches). And here we have about 3-4 different styles of just defensive play and the game isn't even fully developed yet.

Yes I agree the doctrines in vCoh were more concentrated (as in AT, Defense, Luftwaffe…) since they were fewer and in Coh2 we have some same units and abilities that are in different Commanders. Although both games have similar gameplay I can't say which one is better and that's because of the different doctrine options – a different way of playing. I'm not saying the new system is better or worse, it's just different. And so far I like it. Maybe people are just too used to doctrines in vCoh. Anways we cannot fully compare it to vCoh until all the content is fully released. Just my thoughts… :)
7 Nov 2013, 22:51 PM

A lot of units, unfortunately. PE was my favorite faction although I liked the British too.

The whole Airborne and British Glider doctrine. (paras, airdropped 57mm gun) The gliders were awesome.

Hummell and Priests.

The option for the British to build bren carriers from home base with minimal fuel cost.

I like the idea of faction with lots of halftracks.

Nebel, King tiger/Jadpanther.
8 Nov 2013, 00:49 AM

DanielD:

-Doctrine system is poor, no strategic choices at all. Probably my biggest gripe. Gone are the days of seeing a doctrine choice and adapting because guess what, 3 doctrines have the same ability and you cant even choose a path to unlock them. Its all done for you in case we're too nubbish to make a strategic choice like in COH1.
-Resource system lessens strategic importance in map strategy. Why rush a fuel if you get plenty of fuel from right outside your base?
-You can cap with an AT gun ffs. Remember the days of choosing to cap or fight? Another strategic choice gone.
-Without a fuel investment for upgrades axis has no strategic choice on how to spend fuel. You just tech freely. Another choice gone.
-Cold Tech is a gimmick that dumbs down flanking and agressiveness. It looks pretty but it dumbs down the pace of the game and makes early flanking near impossible on some maps.
-Shall i mention pay to win commanders? I choose to spend $5 every month for the new OP flavor of the month, now there's a strategic choice that Relic likes!
-You cant even choose to strategically soft retreat because units cant fire backwards anymore. Yet another downgrade from COH microing.
-Try to lay a german single anti infantry mine xD... Talk about stupid downgrade.

I LOVE YOU!

I miss the Unit Engineer´s and Pioniers... Cheap small Unit wich can LAY DOWN REAL MINES WHO DOING DMG, PINNING or EnginDMG! building FAST Wire Sandbag´s Tanktraps OP´s, Bunkers. They were cheap for capping or just repairing your Tanks. And with flame´s they were pretty good in flanking ...i miss this Unit...
9 Nov 2013, 00:05 AM

I always was afraid that they would add basic vCOH stuff to the commanders rather than the core factions. Having to choose specific commanders for something as basic as FHQs and tanktraps is a huge step down in my oppinion.
9 Nov 2013, 06:01 AM

Which makes it feel like there are neither commanders or doctrines because what's being provided by the commander feels like it should already be available, but you've already made your choice for the match.
9 Nov 2013, 06:31 AM

DanielD:

Amen.
9 Nov 2013, 08:48 AM

ahhh, the good ol' days eh?
9 Nov 2013, 12:38 PM

ahhh, the good ol' days eh?

I wouldnt say the old days, as a big part of the community seems to still be playing vCOH, while COH2s numbers arent all that impressive.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★