Login

russian armor

Homeworld 3 - Official Announcement Trailer

31 Aug 2019, 05:24 AM
Patrion 310

Homeworld 3 crowdfunding & info here:
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3

Homeworld returns with the next chapter of the story. Homeworld 3 is the true sequel to the legendary space-faring RTS. Blackbird Interactive, founded by original Homeworld Art Director Rob Cunningham takes the helm on development, returning the series to its roots with a gripping continuation of the story, fully 3D combat, and the classic RTS elements you expect.
Further supported by the veterans of Homeworld Remastered Collection at Gearbox Publishing, Homeworld 3 is coming to life and the teams couldn't be more ecstatic. With our partners at Fig, we can give fans both new and grizzled a chance to fuel and profit from Homeworld 3's success.

Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/cxmu4a/homeworld_3_announce_trailer/
Flexpickup
Be careful anyone thinking of backing this. They specifically DON'T mention what platforms they'll be launching the game on, only that i'll be PC with the excuse it's too far off to be determined. This isn't good enough.

This is your classical "we won't say it's EGS exclusive now, since we want your backing money" however, since it's Gearbox and Randy, it's almost certain it will be.

I love Homeworld 1&2 but i don't trust Gearbox. Nor should anyone.

From HW3 fig:

------------------
My personal take on crowdfunding this game:
As one old school fan I love Homeworld and BBI.
But I won't give Randy Pitchford (Gearbox CEO) any crowdfunding money especially not with all the EGS exclusivity + Shenmue 3 crowdfunding BS.

This is the post-shenmue 3 and BL3 era. No steam promise is non-acceptable.
Crowdfunding relies heavily on trust and transparency. That includes choosing the right publisher.
The current gearbox CEO is very biased against steam.

Get a new Gearbox CEO and promise no exclusivity. Then I'll consider supporting this.
31 Aug 2019, 13:16 PM
Patrion 310

Along with HW3 - Homeworld Mobile was announced:

Sci-fi RTS follow-up Homeworld 3 is in the works, crowdfunding campaign now live
And Homeworld's heading to mobile too.:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-08-30-sci-fi-rts-follow-up-homeworld-3-is-in-the-works-crowdfunding-campaign-now-live
*SNIP*
While Homeworld 3 still looks to be some way off, a separate series project - with the work-in-progress title Homeworld Mobile - is seemingly much closer to fruition. This attempt to bring Homeworld's space-faring RTS action to mobile devices is being handled by developer Stratosphere, and will be out next year. There's the tiniest glimpse in the teaser below.
According to Gearbox, Homeworld 3 backers on Fig will be "guaranteed priority access" to Homeworld Mobile when it eventually arrives.

3 Sep 2019, 16:34 PM
Patrion 310

Homeworld Mobile Now Available in Early Access on Android and iOS:
https://wccftech.com/homeworld-mobile-now-available-in-early-access-on-android-and-ios/

You can sign up for Homeworld: Mobile at the official website here:
https://www.homeworldmobile.com/
Homeworld Mobile (title pending) extends Homeworld to a new galaxy and a new platform. Sign up for news here and you'll hear more from Fleet Command soon.
Back Homeworld 3 on Fig and get guaranteed priority access to Homeworld Mobile.
5 Sep 2019, 05:06 AM
Patrion 310

SidAlpha | Gearbox launches Homeworld 3 1$ Fig Crowdfunding Campaign:
9 Sep 2019, 12:30 PM
Patrion 310

Some red flags related to Gearbox shady business practices:

So Gearbox/BBI say's they want crowdfunding feedback from fans/investors but why charge $50 money for it?

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3/comments
Gearbox changed FIG posting rules after they don't like the comments (see below) :(
They still refuse to answer any questions related to exclusivity and as a result lost thousands of dollars.
Not even any mention of steam keys for the $60 Reward Bundle (Homeworld Remastered Collection +
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak) is pretty alarming.
Over 1/3 of FIG comments are related to exclusivity but that did not stop Gearbox from trying to censor/restrict those on FIG + YouTube (damage control?).
Silencing/ignoring dissent from steam/hw fans make this crowdfunding looks very shady.

As for fans/investors saying exclusivity comments is toxicity. Are you shilling for Gearbox or just fail to understand that crowdfunding relies heavily upon trust?
Gearbox CEO/Randy Pitchford is one of game industry’s most controversial figure and that mean BBI/Gearbox has to work HARD to earn trust.
They need to put the money where their mouth is and promise no exclusivity deals.

1) HOMEWORLD 3 - A TWO-FACED ANNOUNCEMENT? (Watch for the Bait & Switch):

Homeworld 3 was announced at PAX West last week, something of a surprise for fans of the series. Developed by Blackbird Interactive and published by Gearbox, this return is a subject of a lot of excitement for the community.

But not all is as it seems. Behind the scenes there's a rather gross behavior that - to me at least - just looks like it's taking advantage of that exact community, so let's dive a bit deeper.

2) Gearbox deleting YouTube comments related to Epic exclusivity?
Acertive Pillow
I just noticed they're deleting comments about the store that shall not be named.
There's a conspicuous lack of them in this comment section given the flood that was their FIG.
I posted one a week ago and i couldn't find it anymore so i wrote another one. Gone as well.

3) The sudden departure of Gearbox co-founder Brian Martel in 2015
(1999-2015 EVP / Chief Creative Officer)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-martel-a6b8b4/
As CCO/EVP, Brian Martel was the top Gearbox guy involved in buying HW IP and publishing Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (2016) Homeworld: Remastered (2015).
Gearbox candidly shares story of Homeworld's acquisition, Jul 23, 2013:
https://www.polygon.com/2013/7/23/4551528/gearbox-candidly-shares-story-of-homeworlds-acquisition
Following the approved sale of publisher THQ's games and studios for $72 million in January, Gearbox acquired the Homeworld IP for $1.35 million in April. As outlined in the initial announcement about Gearbox's new IP, Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's chief creative officer, spearheaded the acquisition out of passion for the franchise. He took the chance to explain his love and respect for Homeworld during the panel.

4) New Gearbox CEO quote - easy to abuse fan passion
Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/cwlk7f/gearbox_ceo_randy_pitchford_accused_of_contempt/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/cwksz7/gearbox_ceo_randy_pitchford_accused_of_contempt/
loyaltomyself
"Pitchford replied 'Internet is fine. All they care about is if my next video game is good or not."

That reminds me of the time Activision was wrapped up in a legal battle with Infinity Ward over allegations of not paying the team the money they were owed, and their PR team dropped this little gem: "Any game with the Call of Duty title will instantly sell 3 million copies regardless if it's good or not. Nobody knew who Infinity Ward was before we came along and made them relevant".

FIG HW3 page flooded with comments about EGS exclusivity
5) https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3/comments
Confirmed | Gearbox is censoring/restricting FIG comments and discussions!!
They changed posting rules from "anyone can post/You need to sign in to comment" to
"You need to pledge at least $50 to participate in the discussion".
Wormerine
I am excited that you guys get to make Homeworld3!

However, I will refrain from supporting the project, if there won't be a declaration regarding the platform (GoG being my preferred choice). While I can understand why developers might want to keep doors open, if Epic exclusivity deal would become possibility, I don't feel like contributing to a project, which might end up on platform I don't want it on. I am not even that much agaist them - picked up some games on their platform. But as of now, it is an unpleasant mess to use.
Sep 1, 2019 | 12:41 AM

Benjamin S.
Really excited to see this on the workbench. Although add my voice to the 'please not Epic' cry!
Sep 1, 2019 | 12:16 AM

DirtBetweenToes
If you sign an Epic Games Exclusivity deal, you'll have mildly upset me and lost my support. But best of luck on your project and look forward to the end result!
Sep 1, 2019 | 02:47 PM

StrangeKat
*SNIP*
​I'd also like to add my voice to avoiding exclusivity deals. I take issue with the way games are distributed (because do we really own a game if we can only play it once we have 'permission' to play it by a platform like steam), but what I take even more issue with exclusivity deals ON THE SAME PLATFORM. There is little more you can do to tell your customers you aren't actually interested in them by taking exclusivity deals from the likes of Epic. Yes, it may be premature to guarantee what platform you are releasing on, but at the same time this sounds an awful-lot like dodging the question and making an excuse for pulling a fast one on your customers. I hope you can see why this is concerning to your fans and that any criticism in this regard, while often poorly expressed, comes from a place of love for your work.
Sep 1, 2019 | 08:41 PM

Anthony L.
This is fantastic news, I am so happy that Homeworld 3 is FINALLY going to arrive!

I hope that you are going to move away from the traditional linear storyline with this episode, having to defend a star system etc...

P. S. Please, please do not make this an Epic exclusive.
Sep 1, 2019 | 07:08 PM

Szenszely
Epic Store is vastly inferior to other stores. And Epic has the money to create a great store, they just don't care about customers and I will not support this kind of behavior.
I prefer GoG by the way because of the DRM free system and the fact that I support the CD Projekt Group with the purchases.
Aug 31, 2019 | 11:40 PM

Billy C.
That's not the only reason Thomas. Epic are bringing exclusivity deals to PC gaming in a mass market way. A lot of retailers have done similar in on one off special editions etc in the past but it's not been pervasive and was only on launch day. With Epic they're locking it for up to 12 months at a time.

Long term that's likely to end up with inflated prices for us the consumers. Since you can only buy it in a single place that retailer have a complete monopoly on pricing for the duration. Considering most games have the majority of their sales in that first 12 month window it's going to end up inflating prices eventually if one store can dictate that price. Especially if they keep the percentage share with the publisher in line with any price increases - at the end of the day the publisher only cares about profit so will not complain if they're getting what they see as a better percentage split, customer be damned (they couldn't care less where you buy the game and what features the store has, just that you bought it).

I can remember the days before steam added serious competition to bricks and mortar stores, here in the UK games would regularly cost £55 - £60 on launch. I'm in no rush to go back to them and i'm worried that with EGS freezing out competition we might see that again. How long until the "must have game of the year" releases on Epic exclusively and they decide to set a selling price 20% above market price for a AAA. Many will refuse to buy but I'll bet a lot will still go for it and since there's not competition that price will stay the same for the full 12 months of the exclusivity deal and as more hype about the game goes out more will buy into it until it becomes the norm.

That's not even touching on Epics links to the Chinese company Tencent (if you've not heard of them it's worth a look into - they make EA look like saints) and the frankly pisspoor account security they have (I believe their store had more than 3 or 4 major account breaches in the space of a few months losing customer account data) and an almost complete lack of features in the store since it launched (it doesn't even have a functional shopping cart - something you can knock together in a wordpress site in 5 minutes)

It's a sad but true fact that piracy (which has been steadily on the decline for more than a decade) is actually back on the increase since Epic started these exclusivity games. long term all of this exclusivity shenanigans are going to really hurt the gaming industry in my opinion. I only hope Epic stop it before the damage is truly done.
SEE LESS
Sep 1, 2019 | 12:11 AM

DNel
Biggest Homeworld 1 fan, back in the day. Ready to invest in a second sequel as soon as the developer shares a release platform. Epic exclusive is a dealbreaker.
Aug 31, 2019 | 07:34 PM

Ritewood
I have loved the homeworks series since I came across the second one, so many years ago lol. Please don't go epic exclusive.
Aug 31, 2019 | 06:28 PM

Deathsnake
I think it is time for the Devs to make it right - near all of the 100 comments are Epic or Not?
Aug 31, 2019 | 06:09 PM

Adrien B.
That's not happening if it's Epic exclusive. Their launcher doesn't support it, and Epic has done everything they could to prevent Steam from making progress on that front, going as far as buying out Easy Anti Cheat and halting all work on Linux and MacOS support.

Fingers crossed for Steam release.
SEE LESS
Aug 31, 2019 | 07:18 PM

Christoph F.
I'd consider backing if there is confirmation that it's not going to be exklusive to *any* online-gamestore.
*SNIP*
Aug 31, 2019 | 04:31 PM

Adrien B.
I'm also going to add that the 20% more profit per units sold is a lie.

That's assuming Steam is the only alternative to the EGS, or that Steam offers the best margin aside from the EGS.
Discord only takes 10%, less than the EGS while offering more features. There's also the fact that Steam's cut shrinks as you sell copies, bringing your 20% gain (which actually starts at 18%) down to 8% after 50 000 000$ in sales (which isn't even a million copies), which this game is very likely to break.

I'll also add that people aren't asking for Steam, they're asking for choice. If BBI sold it on multiple platforms with the price adjusted for the platform's cut, i'd gladly buy it on Steam for 80$ because i personally think Steam's services are worth the increased price. They don't have to force our hand into using an objectively lacking storefront to get the money they deserve.
SEE LESS
Aug 31, 2019 | 07:38 PM

MoruganKodi
I pledged, but like most others, I will be very disappointed if released as an epic store exclusive.
I use steam only, I don't maintain game libraries through any other platform.
Aug 31, 2019 | 01:37 PM

c t.
have to agree epic (or anywhere else) exclusivity would no be a good thing
Aug 31, 2019 | 01:18 PM

tox1c5lug
I cannot begin to express my excitement at the prospect of a new Homeworld game. I am, however, like quite a few people on this forum unwilling to back until I'm sure that this will NOT BE EPIC EXCLUSIVE!
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:38 PM

Arturok
I was going to pledge but I can't find anywhere that this wont be a epic exclusive and since I don't want any game there I'll hold my money for the time being.
Hope you clarify that before time runs out or I'll see you Q4 2023.
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:25 PM

SiniSael
so Im assuming this is a nother Epic store eclusive? cause that how the game is funded....
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:20 PM

Sergej U.
Loved the original games and happy to pledge the moment no exclusivity is confirmed.
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:19 PM

Falk S.
Ive read about the 500 USD share invest option that pays out a revenue for the first 18 months AFTER the game launches. But If you go Epic exclusive for a year, you are removing a majority of potential customers, thus removing a majority of revenues and thereby deny your investors a profit. Since the money you would have gotten from Epic was BEFORE the game launches it will also not be paid out to the Fig investors.

I dont want to sound that pessimistic but it all sounds very shady.

Id like to give an example: Example A
- 500 USD invested, game realeases on all plattforms
- huge success, 650 USD gotten back
> 650 - 500 USD = 150 USD profit for me

Example B
- 500 USD invested, game only realeases on Epic for 1 year
- smaller success, 200 USD gotten back after 1 year
- now realeases on all plattforms but lower price
- smaller success, 150 USD gotten back after 1/2 year
200 + 150 - 500 USD = 150 USD loss for me

To the contrary, Id would be daft If you would not go Epic exclusive. Because with that option / tool at hand you can cut the number of sales and thereby the money investors get. Then get the remaining money from customers after the 18 months period has ended. Who doesnt say you can do a 18 months deal with Epic ? Also, since several other companies have already broken their promises to deliver their games through Steam / GoG etc. it is that much difficult to tell everyone that you will NOT have a deal with Epic. The blame is on these other companies, sure. But neither your Fig page nor and more importantly the investor page factoring in Epic deals lead me to not investing in your game.
SEE LESS
Aug 31, 2019 | 10:54 AM

Falk S.
I mean if you sign a deal with Epic you are removing major parts of customers from potential revenue and thus, Fig investor profit. If I invest now you can still sign the deal later or you could already have signed the deal and simply not tell investors. Its not against law since neither this page or the investor page factors in Epic deals.

Additionally, Epic guarantees # number of sales and gives the deal-signing party the # number of sales as money beforehand. Essentially, after the game launches, the first # number of sales are not calculated as sales since you have already gotten the money for them. Since they are not calculated as sales, Fig investors will not get a profit from these.

Signing a deal with Epic is a very easy way for you to LEGALLY screw over investors.

Even if I may sound offensive it is not meant to be in any such way. I look forward to the game just as many others, but currently that Epic company is the worst thing that could happen for PC players, dividing them by signing backyard-deals, and one has to be prepared.
SEE LESS
Aug 31, 2019 | 11:14 AM

Nedan
I actually own boxed copies of all three original Homeworld titles (1, 2, & Cataclysm). Even paid for the newly remastered collector's edition boxed set. Unfortunately... I'm in agreement with most of the folks here. Without a clear answer of which digital storefront the game will support on release (steam, gog, epic)... I'm just not interested.
Aug 31, 2019 | 10:17 AM

Dubb
I'm very very happy to see this, beyond my capacity to explain HOWEVER, I also need some kind of commitment that this title will not be an exclusive to *any* platform. I'm very sorry that such great news is weighed down with this kind of nonses :(
Aug 31, 2019 | 10:13 AM

Adrien B.
I still play HW1 & 2 to this day. I am so glad this is happening.

However, i spend half my time over at my gf's house and rely on Steam Remote Play to stream from my desktop to my non-windows laptop. I'm also a very casual modder and rely on the Steam Workshop for mod support.

Therefore i will not pledge until i have confirmation that the game will release on Steam or that the EGS will have similar features implemented by Q4 2022.
SEE LESS
Aug 31, 2019 | 09:57 AM

Gunter V.
After the Phoenix Point debacle, I do not invest/pledge before I got confirmation there wil be no exclusivity to a store front. You can release it on Epic, but NO EXCLUSIVITY ! My money stays in my wallet as long as this is not clear.
Aug 31, 2019 | 09:35 AM

Derrick H.
I definitely want to support one of the most inspiring games ever made and one of the best moments in my childhood...BUT, not if it's going to be an Epic fail store exclusive... Please let us know if you intend on releasing on actually good platforms like GOG etc before hand, otherwise I will support the game only after it comes out. Thank you and good luck.
Aug 31, 2019 | 09:30 AM

Creamysmooth
I am incredibly excited to hear of a sequel to one of my favourite game series, this is awesome news. I am more than happy to pledge especially as I adored Deserts of Kharak, but like many others here I need to know upfront and have a guarantee about which store fronts it will be released on before I do.
After being stung as a Phoenix Point backer by Epic this information is now important to me and what I support or crowdfund in the future.
SEE LESS
Aug 31, 2019 | 09:27 AM

Chilledfish
Obviously you don't need the money; you've said so in the FAQ, not to mention that Gearbox Publishing is in the business of (if you couldn't guess by its name) publishing games.
If it is feedback that you want, why charge money for it? There are plenty of legitimate ways to do it. This is not what crowd funding is for. What you're doing is basically pre pre-purchase. Or as Devolver Digital put it: "Earliest Access", only this isn't a joke.

Disregarding all of that. This is Randy Pitchford's company. I don't trust him to tell me the weather.
SEE LESS
Aug 31, 2019 | 09:12 AM

Elfwyn
Just a matter of principle I guess.
I have pledged as high as I can for this project, but if its only released on Epic I won't play it. My loss.
Aug 31, 2019 | 09:03 AM

Adrien B.
So little features and hardware support...

Besides, Tim Sweeney said they didn't plan on buying exclusivities for long. I'd consider this a lie if they were still at it by Q4 2022.
Aug 31, 2019 | 09:43 AM

Zyion
Adrien B. He also said they wouldn't steal any more crowd funded releases on Steam or GOG because of the backlash against the developers, and that promise didn't last very long. I trust Tim Sweeney and Epic about as far as I can throw their headquarters.
Aug 31, 2019 | 09:59 AM

Adam S.
Happy to pledge if you can commit to no exclusivity.
Aug 31, 2019 | 07:54 AM

whisker58
I was just about to get the $1000 bundle when I read the comments and saw that pretty much everyone does not want Epic exclusivity. I've never used Epic, only Steam, and GOG, but after seeing the overwhelming amount of anti-Epic statements (which is really quite epic), I too will withhold until there is confirmation that this will not be an Epic exclusive. You guys say you will give the players what they want. This is where you show everyone that you are responsive to the customer over any other driving force.
SEE LESS
Aug 31, 2019 | 06:58 AM

Jay J.
Released everywhere or only on Epic?

Exclusivity to any Launcher = No backing

Please provide a statement outlining the goals of the launch, and if you are going to turn around and screw us all at least let us know beforehand.
SEE LESS
Aug 31, 2019 | 06:47 AM

WarStalkeR
Dear Gearbox, unless you will provide official statement that HW3 won't be epic exclusive (along with proper contract that will allow us to fine you for tens of millions of dollars for breaching it), I'm ready to support it. If it will be epic exclusive, I'd rather to ignore this backing project and get this game from a surprise 100% discount store.
Aug 31, 2019 | 06:33 AM

Jack S.
I will donate 2500 if yall dont make it an epic exclusive. please put it on steam or boxed.
Aug 31, 2019 | 05:45 AM

Wood
Gearbox? i guess they will go Epic elusive. You dont need my money then since you gonna just leverage any interest to secure Epic exclusivity .
Aug 31, 2019 | 04:32 AM

Uberskeeve
20 years of enjoyment that I STILL play to this day.... this is the only game I have ever considered backing and will back it substantially if we confirm Epic is not an exclusive.. that's the one and only caveat .. Gods I can't wait... :)
Aug 31, 2019 | 04:05 AM

Heresiarch
Will it release on Steam/GOG or is it going to be another Epic exclusive?
Aug 31, 2019 | 03:41 AM

Loqe
Finally a HW3! But holding off on backing until I know it's not an EGS Exclusive and that it will be available on Steam and/or GOG at launch.
Aug 31, 2019 | 03:10 AM

michael s.
I am super excited about this game but unfortunately will not add a dime until its a guarantee that this will not become an epic store exclusive.
Aug 31, 2019 | 02:56 AM

Haze
I am in the same boat that I would like to back this but I will refuse to spend the money if this game is tied to the epic games store. You need to support gog and steam and state so before I will even consider backing due to gearbox's prior past behavior as a publisher.
Aug 31, 2019 | 02:16 AM

Almostdead
I'm hyped for Homeworld 3 and pledged instantly! Please keep the original flavor and don't screw it up!
Other than that, EPIC EXCLUSIVE IS UNACCEPTABLE!
Aug 31, 2019 | 02:00 AM

Dorsai
Will this be an Epic exclusive?
I have been burned on this by fig before and I will not pledge/invest unless they give a clear guarantee that this game will not be exclusive to Epic.
Aug 31, 2019 | 01:18 AM

malxenos
Exactly what i want to know before I put any money to it
Aug 31, 2019 | 01:48 AM

XabbuSwe
Yeah, this is a question I need answered too before putting down any money.
Already had two crowdfunding campaigns going that way for me, so I'm a bit wary now.
Aug 31, 2019 | 02:01 AM

Mitsouko1
Steam and/or GOG please otherwise i'm out.
Aug 31, 2019 | 01:09 AM

Billy C.
Just had the email from Fig about this. Can't believe this is the first I've heard of it! Massive Homeworld fan since the original first released (still get shivers everytime I hear Adagio for Strings).

Have to say I'm in the same boat as many others though. Been burned with Phoenix Point so unless there's something official guaranteeing that there will be steam keys on launch day and not a year later due to Epic Exclusivity then no chance I'm backing unfortunately. No issue at all with games launching on multiple platforms but I can't support Epic's business practises as a matter of principle.

Aug 31, 2019 | 01:00 AM

ThatFuzzyTiger
Not backing until we've a definite answer that confirms No Epic Exclusivity
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:42 AM

taranwalker
You got my pledge if it's not an Epic exclusive, timed or otherwise. Can someone confirm that, please?
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:38 AM

Michael S.
I've also got to say I want to know about if it'll be an Epic Exclusive or not. I don't have any issues with you selling it on Epic, but if I back, especially for a collectors edition, I want a Steam Copy, and not a copy a year after launch.
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:27 AM

gendo666
I can't in all honesty contribute to this until I find out if it's an "Epic Exclusive" - ether in total or "For a year and then you will get a steam key" That kind of policy poisons things and I WILL NOT even consider if this is the case.
And, If promised this and it's reneged I will seriously prosecute with a "breach of promise " civil suit.

Aug 31, 2019 | 12:20 AM

Zyion
I will pick one of the top tiers in an instant if it can be confirmed that my purchase won't be locked to the Epic Game Store sometime in the future. Otherwise, it's just better if I wait.
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:18 AM

David W.
Would be happy to fund this if an only if it is confirmed there will be no Epic Game Store Exclusivity.

The fact that this is published by Gearbox along with the FAQ stating you will receive keys for Deserts of Karak/Homeworld Remastered after the 30-day crowdfunding period, but not what platform those keys will be for is worrying to say the least.
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:14 AM

datalink7
I don't care if you're on the epic store. I do care if it is epic store exclusive.

From their answer in the FAQ with them saying that their "Funding is secure", I'm pretty suspicious this means epic store exclusive. Won't back due to that risk.
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:14 AM

Sandsy
Also interested in what distribution platforms you plan for this to be on or if it will platform agnostic. Not interested in using Epic.
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:11 AM

Razunter
Quick search for "Steam" - not found → skip
Aug 31, 2019 | 12:08 AM

AntonK
No Epic Games Store exclusivity please. A game like this should be on every store. GOG would be amazing!
Aug 30, 2019 | 11:52 PM

Deathsnake
Interested for sure - I love Homeworld since 1999 and also have my original CD and the Digital at Steam and GOG. I want it on Steam and not on Epic - if You want me join in - easy - confirm Steam AT Release
Aug 30, 2019 | 11:25 PM

Gergely B.
Yeah, I'm interested in this, but I'm reluctant to back it because of Gearbox. Knowing them there is a decent chance we won't geat a Steam or GOG key, and will be forced to use EGS.
It kind of suck that this is something that has to be considered now when deciding to back a project, but this is where we are... I've burned myself with Outer Wilds and Phoenix Point already.
Aug 30, 2019 | 11:24 PM

Confirm you're not going to be EGS exclusive and you have my pledge. Not falling for the Shenmue sucker punch again.
Aug 30, 2019 | 11:22 PM

Frank I.
I'm not backing till I have confirmed that there will be no epic exclusivity
Aug 30, 2019 | 11:17 PM
29 Sep 2019, 10:55 AM
Patrion 310

More red flags and Randy FIG boasting.

1) Randy is on FIG's advisory board. What could possibly go wrong! :snfQuinn:
Check what FIG CEO said about Randy.
https://www.fig.co/about
https://archive.ph/VqEzk

Randy Pitchford joins Fig advisory board, 8th March 2018:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-03-08-randy-pitchford-joins-fig-advisory-board
*SNIP*
"Randy brings a very unique set of industry experiences to Fig," said Fig CEO Justin Bailey. "He has had a massively successful career of developing monster AAA hits for some of the largest publishers in the world, as well as helping small studios bring their passion titles to market. Adding his knowledge to our advisory board will level up the Fig platform, benefit our developers, and allow us to bring the most ambitious titles to-date to our platform."

Randy Pitchford (Gearbox) joins the Fig (crowdfunding platform) advisory board:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/randy-pitchford-gearbox-joins-the-fig-crowdfunding-platform-advisory-board.28211/

2)https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/1177450068174987266

Homeworld 3 beat its $1 crowdfunding goal by “one-hundred-million-percent” (Randy boasting):
https://www.pcgamesn.com/homeworld-3/crowdfunding
The thing is, that campaign was little more than a technicality. Gearbox was asking for only $1 in funding in order to meet its goal, suggesting that it’s already secured funding for the game and is confident in the community’s interest. In fact, pledging to the fund offered potential players the opportunity to help shape the game by partaking in backer-only surveys over the course of the development process.

Unsurprisingly, Homeworld 3 hit its funding goal. Perhaps a little more surprising is the extent to which it did so – with just a few days to go before the campaign draws to an end, Homeworld 3 has already drawn in $1,045,910, which Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford says is a record-breaking success. Let’s examine that claim, shall we?

The most successful crowdfunding campaign ever was for EOS, a blockchain operating system which earned more than $4 billion last year. If you narrow down that field to videogames, then Star Citizen, which has raised more than $230 million through both Kickstarter and its own fund, takes the crown.

Limit the pool to Fig’s most successful campaigns, and several titles come in ahead of Homeworld – Psychonauts 2, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, and Wasteland 3 all made in excess of $3 million. So what exactly does Randy mean?

Well, in a tweet last night, the CEO said that “records were broken with one-hundred-million-percent of the goal achieved.” Technically, that’s completely true, although I’d suggest that he’s being a little generous with those figures. Hopefully it’ll lead to a successful development, although all accounts suggest Homeworld 3 is still in pre-production, so fans will likely be waiting a few more years for the new game yet.
29 Sep 2019, 11:41 AM
Patrion 310

Arch Warhammer | Homeworld 3 Breaks 1 Million in Funding, Is there hope for a return to form?:

Homeworld 3 Fig Campaign - 48 Hours Remain!:

Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/da2ujr/homeworld_3_fig_campaign_48_hours_remain/
cardonator
And aside from that, this is stupid. Gearbox doesn't need player investors.

Kreeztoff
It’s Rando Pitchfork get it right.

anisewah
Crowdfunding a game for a large developer that has plenty of money to make this regardless of this campaign. Pretty scummy...

jiom
Future EGS exclusive is almost funded by backers!

Asahoshi
Are people still falling for that scam? The game was funded from the word go.

TheRandomGuy75
Game is already funded, and this doesn't guarantee your preorder.
Don't fall for Gearbox's scam here. You're literally giving them money for nothing.

Kameh_
Yeah no, my hype for HW3 was killed with this Fig thing. Especially since it wouldn't surprise anyone if it came out to be an EGS exclusive farther down the road.
A shame too.

TucoBenedictoPacif
But OF COURSE people gave them money they didn't need, for absolutely no reason.
Can't even complain about "reaching the goal" since the goal was set to 1 dollar as a way to remind everyone "Hey, as if we weren't going to take anything you suckers will throw at us!".

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/da2uek/homeworld_3_fig_campaign_48_hours_remain/
DieDungeon
DW they'll just get Epic money so no need to support it.

spiritbearr
Gearbox is publishing. Why would you want to put your own money where Randy can misappropriate them to his own bank account?

SwineHerald
It's more than just Gearbox publishing. The reason it's on Fig, and the reason the campaign is just preorders rather than actual crowdfunding is that Pitchford is one of the co-founders for Fig.

He is running preorders through a dedicated crowdfunding site that he owns a large stake in, so that he can take home a larger chunk from the sales. Plus, since it's "technically" a crowdfunding campaign (with a $1 goal) if it runs into trouble and gets cancelled he isn't exactly required to refund those "preorders."

Edit: Also, Gearbox (and by extension, Randy Pitchford) owns the Homeworld IP, so the developer/publisher relationship will be even more onesided than usual. The studio could not take this game somewhere else. They're not making their own Homeworld game that happens to be published by Gearbox. They're making a Homeworld game for Gearbox, and really the only difference between this an Colonial Marines is Gearbox is being upfront for once about their outsourcing.

Jace_09
The FIG site is shady as hell, if you read the 'investor' perks the amount of sales they would need to make in order for you to see ANY money is literally 10 million dollars if I remember it right. Even then, they don't even make a commitment to offering the stock option unless they feel like it.

Read the terms, it's shit.

Homeworld fan subreddit also flooded with EGS/Randy comments:
https://www.reddit.com/r/homeworld/comments/da2r40/homeworld_3_fig_campaign_48_hours_remain/
crazygasbag
Per previous Reddit conversations, DOK and HWRM generated good revenue. I really hope this isn't a scam after reviewing Pitchford's history.

Thomas12255
Randy Pitchford is a part of the board that handles Fig, he makes money from people using it, and he's ultimately in control of what Blackbird can do with Homeworld 3. I think that the main reason it was on Fig was just to make extra money for the studio - maybe it will lead to it getting a bit more funding from Gearbox than it would have originally as it is clear there is an audience that will pay money for this even 4 years out from release but I think Homeworld 3 is going to release one way or the other in 2023.

Also, I don't think Fig is really analogous to Kickstarter, it is basically an investment portfolio - you're really buying shares in the game and you get money back out if it is successful.

Setanta68
I really want to support this, but I got burned by another game becoming an EGS exclusive. Can we confirm or deny that it will release on multiple storefronts?

Raelsmar
My biggest reason I have not pledged is because of the possibility of it being epic exclusive. The devs have done nothing to assuage that concern.

SajuuksWrath
To be fair though it's set to launch in 2022 last quater. Can we really expect them to announce stores today?
There has been a lot of talk from their staff and rob even saying they love steam mod support so it seems likely they will have it on steam.
Keep in mind I believe 2022 is outside epics planned to continue grabbing up exclusives so also a positive.

Raelsmar
Actually, we can. Epic exclusivity is not in the consumer's best interest. Making a clear and unequivocal statement in favor of consumers by saying that exclusivity deals are off the table helps justify asking fans for a single cent. If you're going to accept a handout from Tim Sweeny, why bother with any of this? That's right, because having a successful crowdfunding campaign is what catches Epic's eye, unless it's made clear from the start that it won't happen, you have every reason to be concerned that it will.

If this campaign was a year ago it would be on both Gog and Steam, kind of like how HW Remastered and DoK are. Epic has proven itself as being a complete dumpster fire lacking minimal storefront features (no reviews, no shopping cart, broken installations, no genre filtering). Take a good look at their Trello, as things are casually pushed off to "when we feel like it." They have also happily announced that there is no longer a roadmap for these features; the money isn't going into improving the user experience, it's going into poaching titles.

Let's talk about what Epic has going for it on the positive end: Giving away free games (some of which have had severe installation-related problems). This doesn't offset putting customers on the back burner. It's also not anything that doesn't happen on any other store.

For the record, it isn't that people think Steam is some perfect platform, either; I've heard that thrown around a lot lately: "If you don't like Epic, you must have ignored everything wrong with Steam!" Valve has had their share of colossal screw-ups (let's not forget giving a platform for Bethesda to force paid mods from years back). They acknowledged that it was a bad move and reversed course. What contributed in a major way to that? Using the review system and the mod workshop to protest it.

Whenever Epic finally gets around to implementing reviews, they are planned to be developer "opt-in" which means if it's not what they want to see, they get turned off. It's not the same as getting a bad review on Metacritic when you have a bad review right where sales happen. This alone is objectively bad for consumers.

If you're looking for something that is actually trying make its mark by deliberately cornering a market, it's Epic. They've made it crystal clear that the consumer is a non-priority by courting developers for exclusivity deals on a platform with objectively worse features. That isn't competition. That's bullshit.

I would change my tune about Epic if they fixed the above issues, stopped pursuing exclusivity, and ensured reviews were a standard feature.

6 Oct 2019, 11:23 AM

SturmtigerCobra thank you for your continued reporting of these little gems :)
17 Nov 2019, 12:55 PM
Patrion 310

Homeworld related news from former CoH1 Narrative/writer lead, Stephen E. Dinehart.

Homeworld - Third-Person Shooter
"Homeworld is 20! A genius of a sci-fi RTS property, 12 years ago I had the chance to help organize the universe for a reboot as a third-person shooter Relic Entertainment, then under THQ. It never sailed, but the property still lives on today at Blackbird Interactive Inc. Here is a page from a guide to the universe I created with Eric Torin. "

List of third-person shooters:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_third-person_shooters
11 Apr 2020, 09:00 AM
Patrion 310

Interview BBI CEO and former Relic:

How Homeworld Almost Got Lost in 3D Space | War Stories | Ars Technica

On this episode of War Stories, Ars Technica sits down with Rob Cunningham to revisit the groundbreaking 1999 3D real-time strategy game, Homeworld. When Rob and a group of friends founded Relic Entertainment, they set out to marry the gameplay of Command & Conquer with the feel of Battlestar Galactica - all in a full 3D environment. On top of the everpresent memory limitations of the day, the team needed to get creative in figuring out how to orient players when, in space, no direction is up.
10 Dec 2021, 09:27 AM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight