Login

russian armor

Kobal vs Talisman

25 Aug 2019, 21:02 PM

Hi guys, I would like some help for this game. I would like to know what I could have done better. I know I lost a few squads later on which could have been prevented. I also want some tips on how to use the ukf sniper vs the wermacht one. Counter sniping can be really difficult where light cover is not present. I felt powerless against that one sniper and I believe it single handedly costed me the game. In multiple occasions it almost died but it always escaped lol. Thanks for all the feedback!
26 Aug 2019, 03:24 AM

My thoughts

The aim time is really bad on the UKF sniper(will be fixed next patch). Most attempts to countersnipe at similar or lesser skill level will fail. First off I think you were fighting a better player(ELO wise) and with a worse unit. The advantage is Talisman may not have expected that if you could totally surprise him and get him reloading you would probably get him.

Overall you let yourself get really outnumbered at just after 4 mintues. Overall it played out pretty well but you were fairly open to push the south to force the mass of units to move around.

Centaur I know why you made that choice, to hurt his infantry as hard as he could with his Ostwind. Personally I think a Cromwell would have served you better as he is investing a lot into anti infantry with the g43s and the Ostwind. You were trying to beat him at a game he planned out to fight(anti infantry). He didn't have enough anti tank to really handle a cromwell which is common with those anti infantry builds.

At 16 minutes you had to hard retreat an unsupported MG. I always when I can't afford to send a unit with an MG(which I would probably never do with a Vickers due to poor setup time and poor suppression) use attack move then shift drag to put them in the position I want. If he stopped and shot he may have pushed the gren back. Who knows or bought you more time if you got ambushed. The only exception is if you setup then try to retreat it is slower. Depends on the attention you are going to pay, if you are sending in an MG alone with the intention of holding an area or gaining ground then attack move shift drag to place is my way to go here. At least a good skill to have in your toolbox if you don't.

Seems like the bottom was an after thought for you in general, sending in a single Section to try to take it alone. Talisman keeps his troops close enough that he has 2 guys in range of each other more often then you. He was winning the engagements more at least mid game.

You left your Centaur right where it was. Even with a damaged engine it is usually worth running if he flanked that(which was an open flank) it would have cost you the game. He had 3 tanks

You went south with AT and again was not careful and you were wiped out losing 2 AT guns by 1 squad.

Unsupported MG in the trench opened you up again. More sending in squads alone and having to fall back. Talisman grouped up enough that you didn't get as many retreats I am feeling.

And then another big thing, you reinvest in a sniper when you have lost infantry and have a rather small army. You get locked on the backfoot by having less infantry(even though you have a lot of armor and manage it well).

Your infantry game seemed weaker and your engagement picking. You played your armor well, but you didn't seem super aware what Talisman was doing. He had a Panzerwerfer but you repaired with a sapper blob in range that he could shoot you from the fog of war. Losing your armor in a blaze of glory at the end nailed the coffin.

1. Pick your engagements you don't need to blob to win fights and you don't need to send in guys individually to cap. Talisman moves in a mesh his guys cover each other. He did pretty well against your AVRE as your single squads moving in while maintaining enough firepower in an area to hold it and push you back.

2. Recon, In my opinion the threat of a counter snipe is too high unless you have enough protection at 50 range(snipers can shoot farther then they see). Shoot from a great distance when you have a lot in front of you and safe flanks or recon with your sniper. Hold fire and in camo. Really study the stats of the snipers(vet 3 gives them 54 sight bonus which is beyond the range they can fire for example)

3. Support your support weapons more. You seemed to get really desperate. They are support weapons and you needed more mainline infantry. Sometimes it is just better to wait then rush team weapons to their inevitable end.

You're a higher level player then me by far. You're doing well, but the common thing I see spectating top tier players(Jove, DevM, Talisman, etc) is the losers(even among them) are usually the ones who don't keep enough infantry to keep capping. I would say it is the number 1 tunnel vision of top players in my anecdotal observations. My informal research points to 4 main infantry being the target with 2 engineers and support weapons. If you lose something replace it by something ideally better. LMGs I like to avoid in late late game if you are behind on VPs. If you are ahead sure get them.

I hope you can glean something from my recommendations. Note: I mostly watched the match from the tactical map.
26 Aug 2019, 04:01 AM

Didn't watch the game but I like to use commandos instead of countersniping. If you're real careful and get creative with your ingress route you can pretty easily ambush a sniper without any warning and not much ability to counterplay. UKF sniper aimtime kind of sucks so countersniping is rough, and I just love commandos to compliment my sections in general, with good close range DPS, camo for scouting and ambushing (which you should be doing every single engagement), and an excellent nade and smoke (one of the few smoke options for UKF).
26 Aug 2019, 04:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2019, 03:24 AMturges
My thoughts

The aim time is really bad on the UKF sniper(will be fixed next patch). Most attempts to countersnipe at similar or lesser skill level will fail. First off I think you were fighting a better player(ELO wise) and with a worse unit. The advantage is Talisman may not have expected that if you could totally surprise him and get him reloading you would probably get him.

Overall you let yourself get really outnumbered at just after 4 mintues. Overall it played out pretty well but you were fairly open to push the south to force the mass of units to move around.

Centaur I know why you made that choice, to hurt his infantry as hard as he could with his Ostwind. Personally I think a Cromwell would have served you better as he is investing a lot into anti infantry with the g43s and the Ostwind. You were trying to beat him at a game he planned out to fight(anti infantry). He didn't have enough anti tank to really handle a cromwell which is common with those anti infantry builds.

At 16 minutes you had to hard retreat an unsupported MG. I always when I can't afford to send a unit with an MG(which I would probably never do with a Vickers due to poor setup time and poor suppression) use attack move then shift drag to put them in the position I want. If he stopped and shot he may have pushed the gren back. Who knows or bought you more time if you got ambushed. The only exception is if you setup then try to retreat it is slower. Depends on the attention you are going to pay, if you are sending in an MG alone with the intention of holding an area or gaining ground then attack move shift drag to place is my way to go here. At least a good skill to have in your toolbox if you don't.

Seems like the bottom was an after thought for you in general, sending in a single Section to try to take it alone. Talisman keeps his troops close enough that he has 2 guys in range of each other more often then you. He was winning the engagements more at least mid game.

You left your Centaur right where it was. Even with a damaged engine it is usually worth running if he flanked that(which was an open flank) it would have cost you the game. He had 3 tanks

You went south with AT and again was not careful and you were wiped out losing 2 AT guns by 1 squad.

Unsupported MG in the trench opened you up again. More sending in squads alone and having to fall back. Talisman grouped up enough that you didn't get as many retreats I am feeling.

And then another big thing, you reinvest in a sniper when you have lost infantry and have a rather small army. You get locked on the backfoot by having less infantry(even though you have a lot of armor and manage it well).

Your infantry game seemed weaker and your engagement picking. You played your armor well, but you didn't seem super aware what Talisman was doing. He had a Panzerwerfer but you repaired with a sapper blob in range that he could shoot you from the fog of war. Losing your armor in a blaze of glory at the end nailed the coffin.

1. Pick your engagements you don't need to blob to win fights and you don't need to send in guys individually to cap. Talisman moves in a mesh his guys cover each other. He did pretty well against your AVRE as your single squads moving in while maintaining enough firepower in an area to hold it and push you back.

2. Recon, In my opinion the threat of a counter snipe is too high unless you have enough protection at 50 range(snipers can shoot farther then they see). Shoot from a great distance when you have a lot in front of you and safe flanks or recon with your sniper. Hold fire and in camo. Really study the stats of the snipers(vet 3 gives them 54 sight bonus which is beyond the range they can fire for example)

3. Support your support weapons more. You seemed to get really desperate. They are support weapons and you needed more mainline infantry. Sometimes it is just better to wait then rush team weapons to their inevitable end.

You're a higher level player then me by far. You're doing well, but the common thing I see spectating top tier players(Jove, DevM, Talisman, etc) is the losers(even among them) are usually the ones who don't keep enough infantry to keep capping. I would say it is the number 1 tunnel vision of top players in my anecdotal observations. My informal research points to 4 main infantry being the target with 2 engineers and support weapons. If you lose something replace it by something ideally better. LMGs I like to avoid in late late game if you are behind on VPs. If you are ahead sure get them.

I hope you can glean something from my recommendations. Note: I mostly watched the match from the tactical map.

Thanks you for the feedback! Yes definitely I ws bled dry by his sniper which made it hard for me to rebuild my infantry , but I see what you mean, I lacked capping power late game. My team weapons placement was a bit too fragile as well.
26 Aug 2019, 04:21 AM

Didn't watch the game but I like to use commandos instead of countersniping. If you're real careful and get creative with your ingress route you can pretty easily ambush a sniper without any warning and not much ability to counterplay. UKF sniper aimtime kind of sucks so countersniping is rough, and I just love commandos to compliment my sections in general, with good close range DPS, camo for scouting and ambushing (which you should be doing every single engagement), and an excellent nade and smoke (one of the few smoke options for UKF).
Yeah commandos are nice to get against them , altough they are a big investment. They are alright mid range as well when you get 2 brens on them.
26 Aug 2019, 04:57 AM

Kobal, an option for counter sniper is also flare section and possibly a mortar pit. Drop smoke(this can infinitely douse an area for free), Use a flare section to expose the sniper(this is important for this, but also countersniping if you can maintain camo as the setup time is wildly in Ostheer's favor), and then plan your angle of attack(UC with Vickers or having a unit on the retreat path are my first thoughts).
26 Aug 2019, 05:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2019, 04:57 AMturges
Kobal, an option for counter sniper is also flare section and possibly a mortar pit. Drop smoke(this can infinitely douse an area for free), Use a flare section to expose the sniper(this is important for this, but also countersniping if you can maintain camo as the setup time is wildly in Ostheer's favor), and then plan your angle of attack(UC with Vickers or having a unit on the retreat path are my first thoughts).
Yeah the sight provided by the flares is nice but a mortar pit in 1vs1 is really hard to pull off in my experience, it also taxe your micro a lot for below average results.
26 Aug 2019, 05:25 AM

The hope is the hit from the extra micro needed for the sniper would be a fair trade(and your enemy is gonna try to counter it so they may breakup their line protecting their sniper). Mortar pit is definitely not needed to counter a sniper with a flare. Just have a good plan. Flare and Cromewell smoke shot is a great way to get a sniper to run into the loving arms of your guys on the retreat path. You can also just push, the concern(especially against Ostheer) is the MG threat. If you react quick flare and Vickers UC rushing into it will push a sniper away
26 Aug 2019, 06:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2019, 05:25 AMturges
The hope is the hit from the extra micro needed for the sniper would be a fair trade(and your enemy is gonna try to counter it so they may breakup their line protecting their sniper). Mortar pit is definitely not needed to counter a sniper with a flare. Just have a good plan. Flare and Cromewell smoke shot is a great way to get a sniper to run into the loving arms of your guys on the retreat path. You can also just push, the concern(especially against Ostheer) is the MG threat. If you react quick flare and Vickers UC rushing into it will push a sniper away
Yeah the earlier you deal with the sniper , the better I felt like I almost killed it 3 times lol but it managed to live. Indirect arti is something that will prevent the sniper from being so aggressive I agree.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★