Login

russian armor

Three questions

21 Oct 2013, 08:25 AM

1. Soviet bunkers: Would it render balance issues if the Red Army were capable of digging down? I can't see a reason why Soviets shouldn't be allowed to build them. Even Stephennn said in his stream that he doesn't understand why. I also think this would make Soviets more appealing for beginners since we all built sandbags and bunkers back in our first games in CoH1 and holding out for tanks. ;) Right now it's not uncommon to see +80% searching games as OH in 2vs2 and up.

2. German mines: Why can't OH have "normal" mines like the Soviets? I personally think that the S-Minefield is the Devils creation and not for those who step on it. The Teller mine is awesome and extremely useful but it's not for free and OH got so many other things costing munition. The Riegel mine is also splendid but you rarely see a halftrack survive to late game when you have other priorities on what vehicles you need and what to spend your munition on.

3. Retreat: Why does it take so long before my units actually start running when I hit the retreat button? From what I recall from CoH1 my units started running fairly quickly. Now they rather stand up and salute the enemy a few seconds before they actually turn the other way and head back home. This is what it looks like when one of my units drop the fight:

21 Oct 2013, 08:30 AM

Permanently Banned
1) Generally fixed positions like Bunkers are full of fail. But yes, why shouldnt Sov be able to fail with them too, like Ost?

2) S-Mine should be single place for like 20 munis. The field is retarded, and the signs are just laughable.

3) Agreed. Retreat should be a true instant. Models mill around like complete retards in CoH2. Sometimes its so bad, that frankly its better to simply move normally first, to estabkish cohesion and direction, rather than retreating right off the bat.
21 Oct 2013, 08:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Oct 2013, 08:30 AMNullist
1) Generally fixed positions like Bunkers are full of fail. But yes, why shouldnt Sov be able to fail with them too, like Ost?

2) S-Mine should be single place for like 20 munis. The field is retarded, and the signs are just laughable.

3) Agreed. Retreat should be a true instant. Models mill around like complete retards in CoH2. Sometimes its so bad, that frankly its better to simply move normally first, to estabkish cohesion and direction, rather than retreating right off the bat.

1. I agree with you there, I prefer mobile warfare. I think I've only built an MG bunker once, it was in a game when we were extremely low on VPs, just used it as a last resort on the more distant VP to delay sneaking squads. However, I think they are too common in team games (what I prefer to play). What would be best, making Engies able to build them or introduce them to an existing doctrine, perhaps replacing "Armored Detection" in the Urban Defense doctrine with bunker instead?

2. I think this is a good idea, however, it is already possible. It requires 80 munition just to start building the minefield but if you stop the pioneer after it has built the first square it will only charge you 20 munition. It is a lot more annoying than just being able to build single squares with the cost of 20 munition.

3. You're right about that. I also find it annoying that sometimes one or two squad members stay behind just a little longer and sometimes get killed just because of that. Especially when you retreat from Assault Grenadiers or Shocktroopers.

Bonus question (don't know if this belongs to balance but anyway): Why doesn't retreating squads vault over fences/obstacles on retreat but rather taking the long way around?
21 Oct 2013, 08:56 AM

Bonus question (don't know if this belongs to balance but anyway): Why doesn't retreating squads vault over fences/obstacles on retreat but rather taking the long way around?

because of Vodka and Schnapps
21 Oct 2013, 09:50 AM

I find that the s-minefield is actually usefull.

It may be because ppl use it so rarely, that soviet players have forgotten they exist. Whatever it is, I seem to score quite a few hits with them.

I think only the best players notice those signs in the heat of the battle, but no, it makes no sense that you can predict where the minefield is, if you pay just a little attention.

Thanks for the tip about cancelling the build midway, though. Even more usefull now.
21 Oct 2013, 09:59 AM

1. Soviet bunkers: Would it render balance issues if the Red Army were capable of digging down? I can't see a reason why Soviets shouldn't be allowed to build them. Even Stephennn said in his stream that he doesn't understand why. I also think this would make Soviets more appealing for beginners since we all built sandbags and bunkers back in our first games in CoH1 and holding out for tanks. ;) Right now it's not uncommon to see +80% searching games as OH in 2vs2 and up.

2. German mines: Why can't OH have "normal" mines like the Soviets? I personally think that the S-Minefield is the Devils creation and not for those who step on it. The Teller mine is awesome and extremely useful but it's not for free and OH got so many other things costing munition. The Riegel mine is also splendid but you rarely see a halftrack survive to late game when you have other priorities on what vehicles you need and what to spend your munition on.

3. Retreat: Why does it take so long before my units actually start running when I hit the retreat button? From what I recall from CoH1 my units started running fairly quickly. Now they rather stand up and salute the enemy a few seconds before they actually turn the other way and head back home. This is what it looks like when one of my units drop the fight:

1. Germans are not well designed for dealing vs bunkers or HMG's with large firing arc (flanking), so adding bunkers and/or HMG with large firing radius would get exploited by good Soviet players.

But I do agree, its a huge problem for beginners that turns them not wanting to play Soviet or at all.

P.S. for all you L2P and micro blah blah blah.. Most of you it took a year + of playing as described by OP. Before being even able to deal with HMG with rifles or volks. So at least try to show some sympathy for people who are YOU, from 6-7 years ago.

We want them to become COH2 addicts, don't we?

2. Agree, S mines take ridiculous amount of time to place, and you cannot place them exactly where you want. I never feel like I will be able to finish them in time, and I don't really wanna spend ammo on putting mines on uncontested point. Yeah, rarely employ them for those reasons

3. Your question pissed me off, because I thought about command lag delay

Bonus question. Your question pissed me off, because I had mental image of terrible pathing my units choose
21 Oct 2013, 10:10 AM

3. Your question pissed me off, because I thought about command lag delay

Bonus question. Your question pissed me off, because I had mental image of terrible pathing my units choose

Same here, It actually just pissed me off. Sitting here thinking of all of the retreat delays that contributed to a loss of a unit. God it makes me angry.
21 Oct 2013, 10:55 AM
Donator 11

Don't worry I predict soviet bunkers making return in next DLC commander, for only 2,5 Euro. Kappa
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 26
Germany 1
Germany 690

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak