Login

russian armor

Bringing back different value resource points

18 Oct 2013, 15:53 PM

Hey

What really bugs me is that CoH2 seems to be turning to fast paced clicker race for fuel(being pointed out in several threads in forum already). Who ever gets both of the fuels basically wins. Of course this was the case in vCoH too, but all armies still had a reliable Mp or Munition based counter to fuel based units like tanks, which is not the case in Coh2 except with the germans... But i wont start ranting about it since there's already enough threads dealing with it.

In my opinion, removing separate fuel, munition and strategic points from the game by blending them together was a serious mistake from Relic. Im still giving you guys some credit for trying to create something new to the gameplay instead of just copying it from the vCoH, but honestly in this case i think there was nothing that was needed to be changed from vCoHs resource and pop cap system. In vCoH there was three different values of fuel and munition points and separate strategic points that provided minor(still significant) amount of manpover. Furthermore all strategic points gave population cap and some manpover, which made harrassing and cutoffs way more effective and important. Cutoff points also appeared more(not just one huge cutoff that isolates the base from the rest of the map).

Anyway, removing separate fuel and munition points(except the two high muni/fuel points), strategic points effect on Mp income, and dynamic pop cap, removed a HUGE amount of strategy and depth from the game. Now, especially in team games, the case is often that closest(safest) points are build with fuel caches. This favors the germans hugely, since their main medium tank P4 is relatively cheap, spammable, superior to all soviet nondoctrinal armor and increasingly affordable by fuel caches. Of course this system could be abused by soviets too, like spamming su 85s... its just not by far as effective on them.

Since te old system can't be entirely brought back, i think some compromises could still be done.
1) Bringing different value points back for example: low(3f,5m) & medium(5f,7m). High ones are not needed since they exist already.
2) Bringing back the dynamic pop cap(would require complete reawork on unit pop cost though...)
3) give some manpover from territory points.

Your thoughts and criticism are welcome.
18 Oct 2013, 16:00 PM
Donator 11

this might be a little off topic but what I would like to see is more points like in Pripyats, repair, heal, recon stations etc...
18 Oct 2013, 17:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Oct 2013, 16:00 PMZ3r07
this might be a little off topic but what I would like to see is more points like in Pripyats, repair, heal, recon stations etc...

i agree. it would create on smaller maps something else to fight over that had an advantage
19 Oct 2013, 04:48 AM

Actually, as a German player you can just skip fuel and win the game through munition because of reliable AT compared to the Soviets. (Pschreckz, AT gun, HT@T2, PaK, etc) T1-T2 is so daymn good for Germany.
19 Oct 2013, 06:32 AM

Buildings would be problem with high/low resource points..

Since its so hard atm to dislodge unit from building cover.

But in general I agree, I am still fighting over points and trying to outcap my opponent, but I really have no idea why. (probably just so used to it from COH days)

When I might as well just get fuel and couple of VP points and camp there
19 Oct 2013, 07:08 AM
Patrion 14

But in general I agree, I am still fighting over points and trying to outcap my opponent, but I really have no idea why. (probably just so used to it from COH days)

Also do this, and also sometimes wonder why. However the points do provide some resources and really cant be neglected. On the other hand they do feel alot less imoportant than earlier. Also the current system actually makes cutoffs more important to get, but with current building mechanic this is also an issue.

@OP I really would like to se a general decrease on each stratpoint. Perphaps reduced starting mp income, and each stratpoint then adds a small amount of mp. Giving a 50/50 mapcontrol an equal income as now. Then introduce low points for fuel and muni, as long as this does not clutter the maps. However this would most likely a total redesign of current maps, which in it self could be an issue. Overall, this is sadly a major overhaul that I dont think relic has any interest in doing just because of the amount of work needed. But also something that I really would like to se come back.
19 Oct 2013, 10:43 AM

+1 agree with everything
19 Oct 2013, 16:57 PM

I can see the argument for the rest, but VCoH's popcap system was really weird and artificial.
19 Oct 2013, 17:26 PM

The problem with these changes is it affects mp more then fuel. Getting cut off means you don't have access to mp, which mean you can't get mp based AT like at guns, guards, and pgrens. So if your opponent gets something like an ostwind, t-70, Flamer ht, ac's, and m3's you would be in even worse state then you would be now.
20 Oct 2013, 03:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2013, 17:26 PMCon!
The problem with these changes is it affects mp more then fuel. Getting cut off means you don't have access to mp, which mean you can't get mp based AT like at guns, guards, and pgrens. So if your opponent gets something like an ostwind, t-70, Flamer ht, ac's, and m3's you would be in even worse state then you would be now.

Thats what I don't particulary like about COH2. I can dominate the game, control most points, etc. In the end my opponent, isn't hurt that much by my dominance and can still pull out some very strong Call in unit like KV8, Tiger or Elephant.

It wont necessarily turn the tide most of the time, but often it will give you well, a undeserved victory.....

If you lose map control and can't handle your opponent, you shouldn't be able to hang in there due to lack of penalty. In COH, you could beat someone in 5 minutes completely. In COH2, they just keep pumping units out at same rate you do.......
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★