Login

russian armor

Men of War

12 Dec 2012, 01:34 AM

I've heard so much about this game. Apparently it is a hardcore master tactician game thats makes CoH look like a baby game. Especially now with COH 2 having similar featuresI can't here enough about this game.
Any of ya'll play it? Is it a good game or just for realism buffs? How big is the community, and is it honestly better than Company of Heroes? I would feel no doubt putting Company of Heroes the top three RTS games ever, can this can really be on par with CoH?
12 Dec 2012, 02:21 AM

Men of War*

Its more realistic and a pretty cool game with awesome physics effects...the main turn off is the the UI is from prehistoric times and there is a learning curve just for learning how to perform basic actions you can do with 1-2 mouse clicks on CoH.
12 Dec 2012, 02:50 AM

Soldiers have inventories, argh.
12 Dec 2012, 02:58 AM
Senior Editor Badge

12 Dec 2012, 04:53 AM

Tedious micro the game. I love having 10+ guys and manage all their inventories, tell them how to turn and how to take cover.

EDIT: Also paks are insane. Got HE shots that can level buildings and blow up squads. If you're curious I'd say buy it for the Christmas steam sale (along with men of war assault squad which is said to make the game more complete) I got 9 hours out of it but I'm pretty much done playing it, way too boring.
12 Dec 2012, 18:44 PM
Senior Caster Badge

its cool, but lacks action

I'm pretty much done playing it, way too boring.

lol

I have a shitton of Men of War videos on my YouTube channel because the game is awesome. It's not a game for realism buffs - it's way more realistic than Company of Heroes but Company of Heroes has zero realism so that doesn't mean much. The most realistic thing about the game is tank combat - tanks don't have health bars, they just have treads, engines, turrets, and guns that can be damaged or destroyed as long as the shells pierce the armor, and shells piercing the armor is calculated based on caliber, speed, angle of impact, and armor thickness rather than on some abstract number. The infantry combat is unrealistic but still more realistic than CoH: a machinegun will cut down an entire squad in a few seconds if they're out in the open, for instance, and a couple rifle shots will kill most people.

Basically the best parts of Men of War are the wide variety of tactics you can use because you have so much freedom in what units you buy, the excitement of utilizing your units to pull off really impressive stuff, the thrill of improvising on the fly by picking up a bazooka that an enemy dropped, using it to kill an armored car, grabbing a machinegun from the armored car, fighting off the enemy squad coming your way, grabbing dynamite from the armored car to blow up a nearby tank, then repairing the armored car, crewing it with your own men, and driving away.

The worst parts of Men of War are that it takes a little while to learn the UI, you have to be better at microing than in CoH because you have more men to control (you can control individual men instead of just squads like in CoH), and it can be frustrating if you suck at the game like I do because it doesn't hold your hand: entire squads can die in a few seconds and tanks can get knocked out in one shot if you're stupid.

I recommend it to pretty much everyone who enjoys RTS games, WW2, or games with men in them. I'd say totally buy it in the upcoming Steam Christmas sale if you're at all interested. Buy Assault Squad for multiplayer, but if you like single player or coop, the original Men of War is really really fun with a friend.
12 Dec 2012, 19:02 PM
Honorary Member Badge

good game i enjoy it but its is rough round the edges but still a fun game.

id get assault squad its an overall improvement don't get vietnam unless you want an unmoddable singplayer/coop story mode game.
12 Dec 2012, 23:41 PM

The game is incredible. It is the most detailed RTT I have ever played. Its phenomenal but so is Company of Heroes as well. Somebloke and I did some Men of War casts as well
14 Dec 2012, 11:24 AM

Really no clue why they decided to make tanks in this game.
15 Dec 2012, 07:09 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Because tanks are cool?
19 Dec 2012, 18:09 PM

I have I think all 3 games of it.. but didn't really got into it.. prob because in all my free time i had to play I use to play CoH.
19 Dec 2012, 19:34 PM

Yes, great idea. Would have been something in WW2; "HEY! Let's make tanks because they are cool and not effective"
19 Dec 2012, 19:38 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Well they're pretty effective too.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment