Login

russian armor

HM-38 vs Ostwind?

14 Oct 2013, 12:34 PM

Hey all,

Recently, I became a big fan of 120mm mortars. If things go pretty, I gain three star vet with two of them.

There is a question. Have anyone killed Ostwind with this thing?)
I mean, normally if you drop a 16kg (35 lb) shell right inside, it will kill the crew and destroy the vehicle that has an open top.
But yes... I know, I know.... this game is far far away from reality, that's why I'm asking you guys if you have this happened in game and what was the outcome of the shot.
Will 120mm mortar damage an Ostwind at full health? Like disabling main gun, or crew, or threats or any how else?) will it kill pioneer squad trying to fix it? Or pioneers will be ok since they are "in cover" behind the tank??))).

I wish this game is more realistic.
14 Oct 2013, 12:39 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2013, 12:34 PMtokarev
will it kill pioneer squad trying to fix it? Or pioneers will be ok since they are "in cover" behind the tank??

Pioneers can be (and often are) killed by the splash damage. I'm pretty sure they get killed even if the shell deflects off the Ostwind.

...which reminds me of seeing howitzer shells bounce harmlessly off of KTs in COH1, while the surrounding pioneer repair blob explodes into gooey chunks. Good times.
14 Oct 2013, 12:46 PM

So you're saying the shell will deflect off the Ostwind?
How will it deflect, if Ostwind has no top?))
14 Oct 2013, 13:16 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2013, 12:46 PMtokarev

ye sometimes you will just see a smoke pop implying a bounce, ostwind is just like any other tank for game mechanics
14 Oct 2013, 13:21 PM
Patrion 14

Also, as far as I know, there is only front and rear armor, not even side. So landing a hit on "top" doesnt really matter because there is no top. Same goes for mines, there is no bottom armor.
14 Oct 2013, 13:46 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2013, 12:46 PMtokarev

Helmets?
14 Oct 2013, 13:56 PM

I still can't understand why to make the game so unrealistic. 35 pounds shells bounce off the crew helmets, molotovs do zero damage to tanks, 14,5mm PTRS is useless against infantry and so on so on...
14 Oct 2013, 14:05 PM

If CoH 2 was realistic,Soviets would've been OP :)))
16 Oct 2013, 14:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2013, 12:34 PMtokarev
Hey all,

Recently, I became a big fan of 120mm mortars. If things go pretty, I gain three star vet with two of them.

There is a question. Have anyone killed Ostwind with this thing?)
I mean, normally if you drop a 16kg (35 lb) shell right inside, it will kill the crew and destroy the vehicle that has an open top.
But yes... I know, I know.... this game is far far away from reality, that's why I'm asking you guys if you have this happened in game and what was the outcome of the shot.
Will 120mm mortar damage an Ostwind at full health? Like disabling main gun, or crew, or threats or any how else?) will it kill pioneer squad trying to fix it? Or pioneers will be ok since they are "in cover" behind the tank??))).

I wish this game is more realistic.

It would be a cool mechanic if a top hit resulted in a gunner killed or main gun disabled crit which could be resolved by either recrewing with surrounding infantry or by bringing in pios to repair it. I'm sure this has been thought of in some capacity.
26 Oct 2013, 10:23 AM

Top armor could be interesting, because many well armored tanks had very little or no armor at all (half trucks, ostwind, su-76) on top, so direct hit at vehicle top from howitzer or mortar could deal rather serious damage.
26 Oct 2013, 10:54 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2013, 13:56 PMtokarev
I still can't understand why to make the game so unrealistic. 35 pounds shells bounce off the crew helmets, molotovs do zero damage to tanks, 14,5mm PTRS is useless against infantry and so on so on...

Its a game. For many reasons its hard to portray realisticly. Like tanks, they had really long ranges that they used, as well as ATGs, who relied alot on camo and shooting across long distances. Everyhing in CoH2 is more or less short range. Also, alot of more targetzones will add programming complexity etc etc. Gameplay wins over realism. Also, not a sim.
11 Nov 2013, 20:29 PM

This is a game its been made to be fun to play and for that to happen it has to be somewhat balanced while maintaining some sort of reality.

This is not a military simulator by any means.
11 Nov 2013, 20:56 PM

If CoH 2 was realistic,Soviets would've been OP :)))

Nope, they wouldnt, they won cause of 12 fronts war ^^ :)
11 Nov 2013, 20:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2013, 20:29 PMissamam
This is a game its been made to be fun to play and for that to happen it has to be somewhat balanced while maintaining some sort of reality.

This is not a military simulator by any means.

Yeah and that`s good!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS