Login

russian armor

StuG and JPIV Penetration

PAGES (13)down
14 Jun 2019, 12:29 PM

Genrally I'd say that the game is nicely balanced. There are still some details that require polishing up. Range in tank combat war is a very important element and should be a bit adjusted towards being a bit more natural.

I feel a lot of old and new players would welcome the idea of say 4 range categories. We could put all TD into one category with longest range. The rest of tanks should be put into 3 remaining categories based on the gun they had. Long barrel tanks should have shorter range than TD but longer than short barrel gunned tanks. Small calibre guns should have the shortest range. It would have a natural 'feel' to it and would make the gameplay more intuitive.
14 Jun 2019, 14:03 PM

Generally I'd say that the game is nicely balanced. There are still some details that require polishing up. Range in tank combat war is a very important element and should be a bit adjusted towards being a bit more natural.

I feel a lot of old and new players would welcome the idea of say 4 range categories. We could put all TD into one category with longest range. The rest of tanks should be put into 3 remaining categories based on the gun they had. Long barrel tanks should have shorter range than TD but longer than short barrel gunned tanks. Small calibre guns should have the shortest range. It would have a natural 'feel' to it and would make the gameplay more intuitive.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_SU-76.php

the ZiS-3 had the best maximum elevation angle of any other comparable
SPGs and could operate to a 17 km (10.5 mi) range.

Short Barelled tanks did not have shorter range.
Most howitzers had short barrels and excellent ranges.

Long barrels gives horizontal hypervelocity FLAT trajectories. Not better ranges.

14 Jun 2019, 15:39 PM

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_SU-76.php

the ZiS-3 had the best maximum elevation angle of any other comparable
SPGs and could operate to a 17 km (10.5 mi) range.

Short Barelled tanks did not have shorter range.
Most howitzers had short barrels and excellent ranges.

Long barrels gives horizontal hypervelocity FLAT trajectories. Not better ranges.

Well, that is the sort of situation when you have to look at the gamplay more than at historic figures. But still you are a bit wrong about barrel lengths.
1. Tank battles would happen at ranges often much higher than entire maps in coh2 and all vehicles would have to have ranges longer than the map :)
2. The range you mention is a typical range of an artillery piece. No very useful in tank to tank combat. Basicaly, simplifying it a lot, tank destroyers had long barrels to have high muzzle velocity. High muzzle velocity helped in a) aiming since the trajectory of the projectile was more flat and aiming was much easier b) higher velocity of a projectile meant higher chance to pentrate armour.

So, long barrels were used for a reason and I believe long barreled tanks/TD in COH2 should have longer effective ranges. They were simply more effective in effectively egaging armour at longer distances, especially when the target was moving.
PAGES (13)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS