Login

russian armor

Is the big Russian Howie a bit too accurate ?

12 Oct 2013, 18:16 PM

Well in my last game The fucking thing just trahed my army , killed 3 atgs and 1 or 2 p4s p4 and never missed a shot . Since i havent bought the dlc , i am asking people who have played it is it supposed to work that way , does each volley cost munitions ? Whats the deal ?
12 Oct 2013, 18:48 PM

The 203mm, right?
It's pretty damn inaccurate at first, but once you get vet 1 you can go rambo with the precision strike. Precision strike costs 60 muni though.
12 Oct 2013, 19:11 PM

60? I thought it was like 180? 60 for a precision strike that can one hit kill p4s is pretty lame.
12 Oct 2013, 19:19 PM

60? I thought it was like 180? 60 for a precision strike that can one hit kill p4s is pretty lame.

Direct fire is 180, precision is 60, different abilities.
12 Oct 2013, 20:49 PM

I think the problem is no one seems to know how to counter it right now. It's slow to move and slow to fire, and since its first shot is innacurate it will pretty much have to announce it's arrival without picking off what it wants to.
1. If it hasn't fired in a while, make shore to keep your valuable units moving and it won't be able to get a direct hit.
2. It gets stronger and stronger with vet. Take it out as quick as possible, you will not win if you allow it to stay on the field uncontested.
3. Look out for the recon run. A shot is usually not far behind.
12 Oct 2013, 21:29 PM

You can hear the shot too, if you're super on it.

To be honest though, it's probably worse than the regular army. 90% of the time a regular arty shot will kill the thing your targeting so a B-4 is really just sacrificing all the other barrage shots. Plus, due to its inaccuracy it can be really hard to get it to vet 1.
12 Oct 2013, 23:13 PM

Really the only counter is to sneak a unit/sacrifice one to call in rail artillery or a stuka bombing run, but thats doctrinal. You can try mortars, snipers, flamers, flanking but since its 99% likely to be sitting in his base... in a close game you will struggle unless you knock him off the field completely and push to it

13 Oct 2013, 01:28 AM

Really the only counter is to sneak a unit/sacrifice one to call in rail artillery or a stuka bombing run, but thats doctrinal. You can try mortars, snipers, flamers, flanking but since its 99% likely to be sitting in his base... in a close game you will struggle unless you knock him off the field completely and push to it

Pff i was having enough problems starting in north langres , the schocktroops combined with the kv1s are a lethal combo , despite tha i was killing many of his tanks but in each battle id have my p4 artied and destroyed . Exactly what you said , it was a close game . Also on the vet thingy , imo in a big battle with lots of units its kinda hard for any hjowie to miss so if there is a big engagement i think this thing will get its vet and then its pretty much like a miny v1 . I predict changes in that commander in the future , once more people learn how to use it .
13 Oct 2013, 03:49 AM

Have you played with the B-4? Serious question.

It's actually really difficult to get value out of. If you miss with your first 2 shots (often happens) then you have about 5 minutes of 600mp doing nothing. Even if you hit with your next shot you MIGHT kill a squad or even a tank (rare) that's like 300mp's damage after about 8 minutes in the game which cost 600mp.

Ways to kill it are what you would expect:
- Shrecks in a half-track, drive up and shoot it
- Most strikes, doctrinal specific
- Drive up and shoot it with tanks
- Counter arty it, doctrinal specific
- Even mortar it on a map like Langres.

You make it sound as if you were winning all aspects of the game until this B-4 was built and killed everything. Perhaps uploading a replay would help.
17 Oct 2013, 10:09 AM

Railway Artillery or Stuka Bomb is sufficient to kill it, along with almost every unit that the Ostheer provides.

It takes a century to turn the damn thing and a decade before the shot lands on the ground since you ordered it to fire. You need to be very lucky to get it to veterancy 1 and after that it gets a little easier, it's still as slow though. You need to predict where your enemies are so that you can shot with it as soon as you see their units.

After +20 games trying very hard to find use of this thing I decided that I would always go with the 152mm Howitzer since you are more likely to kill something with it, for the same cost.

The only really good use I've found for this thing is to make precision bomb strikes on camp fires during blizzards. Just make sure that your B-4 are aiming at a camp fire before the storm comes because if you have to move it in order to shoot the blizzard will be over and their units are not camping around fire pits anymore.
17 Oct 2013, 19:53 PM

Railway Artillery or Stuka Bomb is sufficient to kill it, along with almost every unit that the Ostheer provides.

It takes a century to turn the damn thing and a decade before the shot lands on the ground since you ordered it to fire. You need to be very lucky to get it to veterancy 1 and after that it gets a little easier, it's still as slow though. You need to predict where your enemies are so that you can shot with it as soon as you see their units.

After +20 games trying very hard to find use of this thing I decided that I would always go with the 152mm Howitzer since you are more likely to kill something with it, for the same cost.

The only really good use I've found for this thing is to make precision bomb strikes on camp fires during blizzards. Just make sure that your B-4 are aiming at a camp fire before the storm comes because if you have to move it in order to shoot the blizzard will be over and their units are not camping around fire pits anymore.

Turn speed might be an issue on langres since its such a small map but on maps with lanes like kholdny, pripyat, minsk or probably the team maps (I dont play those), its not hard to know where the action will be before it happens...protip: the center.
17 Oct 2013, 23:22 PM

You could try to sneek a German Sniper with Holdfire to the enemy base :D This way you used 360 manpower vs 600 and if you check regularly you know always where it is aimed at, when it is turning, and when it is firing. (In theory ;D)
21 Oct 2013, 06:38 AM

Turn speed might be an issue on langres since its such a small map but on maps with lanes like kholdny, pripyat, minsk or probably the team maps (I dont play those), its not hard to know where the action will be before it happens...protip: the center.

If it's not vet 1 the shot will probably land on the other side of the map rather than what you're aiming at, lanes or not.

The trick is to get it to vet 1. After that it can serve as a Victory Point protecter or simply bombing their base when their units are retreating, this won't require it to turn anywhere rendering it useless for a millenium.

Are there any reasons why the B-4 shouldn't have the same turning speed as the other Howitzer the Soviets have? The shot is lethal when it hits and is more likely to do so when it gets veterancy 1, I understand that, but it is still just one shot? A decent enemy will keep his units moving all the time and it's difficult enough to hit something even with veterancy 1 if you have the luck of having an enemy unit moving inside its narrow arc of fire since the Precision Strike is not an "insta kaboooom" ability
21 Oct 2013, 07:12 AM
Patrion 14

Agree the vet0 accuracy is horrible, and reloadtime is insanely long. When vet1 hits, you have to spend munitions to be able to hit anything (Though what you hit you kill). As stated earlier kill it fast making a huge manpowerloss for you opponent, many off-maps will take it down, even light artillery.
21 Oct 2013, 10:05 AM

This howitzer is so ineffective it's a joke. Maybe somehow useful in 4v4? Not sure. It comes in a decent commander though. Except for this unit.
21 Oct 2013, 18:33 PM

This howitzer is so ineffective it's a joke. Maybe somehow useful in 4v4? Not sure. It comes in a decent commander though. Except for this unit.

Really? I love it. It just doesn't have much use in a 1v1. 2v2 and up it is great for countering heavy armor and wiping capping infantry. It's just a bit hard to use. Just try to keep your munitions up so you can have recon runs to help you find repairing tanks and defensive positions.
21 Oct 2013, 20:37 PM

Really? I love it. It just doesn't have much use in a 1v1. 2v2 and up it is great for countering heavy armor and wiping capping infantry. It's just a bit hard to use. Just try to keep your munitions up so you can have recon runs to help you find repairing tanks and defensive positions.

It's definitely better at certain team games (*cough* 2v2 Pripyat Summer *cough*), but even then it's essentially a gimmick. Any decent German player would have Jaeger Armour equipped in team games which makes any howitzer instantly useless (unless of course multiple Soviet players spam them or the German player with the doctrine foolishly spent all of his munitions elsewhere).

I know I have once complained about this howitzer at one point but I've since learned to just equip that doctrine when playing as Germans: problem solved.
22 Oct 2013, 15:36 PM
Donator 22

Is it possible to oneshot a heavy tank ?
22 Oct 2013, 17:50 PM

Is it possible to oneshot a heavy tank ?

yes, but only at vet 3. its normal damage is 640. it gains 50% more damage at vet 2 for 960 damage, then another 34% at vet 3 for a total of 1286.4 damage. as long as you hit within 3m of the tank, it will deal full damage and 1 shot any tank.
22 Oct 2013, 18:04 PM

not sure about full health heavy tank but it does kill those got some damaged heavy tank

also it is depend on map. it don't work well on the maps like city 17
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS