Login

russian armor

Mirror Match

PAGES (29)down
26 Mar 2013, 19:51 PM

Good.
26 Mar 2013, 19:57 PM

Not that excited about this. In SC2 mirrors are definitely the most borings matchups, and I got a feeling they will be even more stale in a CoH-type game.
26 Mar 2013, 20:07 PM

:( Why is this "in sc2 mirrors are definitely the most boring matchups" thingy spreading like this. It is NOT true. TvT is known as hands down the BEST MU in the whole game, pros have been asked about this, most of them agre (the ones that don't usually say TvZ is the best) due to its flexibility in all times of the game and its positional play. ZvZ is also a very micro intensive and fast-paced MU: ling-bane wars, counter attacks... Now, PvP, this is truly a bad Matchup, it either ends in less than 8min or it takes forever and whoever has more Collosi wins(this might change in HotS).

My personal experience: I play Terran at a mid-Masters level, TvT is my best MU and the one I have the most fun.

I say Mirrors are a good thing, it adds to the game, time will tell though.
26 Mar 2013, 20:08 PM

In SC2 mirrors are definitely the most borings matchups

ZvZ and PvP used to be kind of boring pre-HotS(don't know about them now).
TvT, on the other hand...
26 Mar 2013, 20:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2013, 20:08 PMNaeras

ZvZ and PvP used to be kind of boring pre-HotS(don't know about them now).
TvT, on the other hand...

Game 3 is a hell of a game as well.
This whole series is a great example of what I just said: flexibility and positional play, and also why it is the best matchup. Recommended to watch even if you are not into SC2.
26 Mar 2013, 20:46 PM

Mirror Match : Never
26 Mar 2013, 22:17 PM

qduffy said that mirrors are currently enabled in custom games, but disabled for automatch ;)
26 Mar 2013, 23:45 PM

I think it would be pretty boring for 1v1, but mixed teams in 2v2 would be awesome and add much more diversity.
27 Mar 2013, 00:02 AM

The thing about mirrors in this game is that 50% of the games in 1v1 would be mirrors (theoretically). The enjoyable mirror matches I've had in other RTS's are very unusual. Also I enjoyed the tailored matchups that you get from CoH when factions are seperated.

That being said, I agree with Basilone. Some interesting matchups there for sure.

Also it shouldn't be so hard to balance 3 matchups (wehrVSwehr, RusVSrus, RusVSwehr) it's still a small amount for a RTS game. I'll keep my hopes high.
27 Mar 2013, 03:29 AM

Mirrors can be boring in traditional RTS games because there is usually a set amount of damage a unit does, so whoever macros better or harasses better and builds the bigger army wins. There is some positioning, but its all about "can my mans all shot his mans while his mans cant shoot all my mans"

But in CoH, proper positioning takes on another dimension compared to other RTS thanks to the cover system. The decision making involved in spending munitions on abilities (commander or unit) also adds depth to the gameplay.

So it won't be like the mirrors you are imagining (unless you played the Alpha).
27 Mar 2013, 12:18 PM

Presumably, yes. I did play DoW 2 with similar mechanics and mirror matches, and there seeking cover or using abilities differently didn't save micros from being mostly boring.

Since there are only 2 factions though, there are still less matchups than most RTS games. Make the factions broad and with a lot of customization (bulletins and such) and the mirrors wont be boring.
27 Mar 2013, 12:28 PM

If CoH2 wants to be somewhat competetive then it should allow mirror matches in ranked games. People who want to play only russians vs germans can still play costume games.

I mean how would you ever find out who is the best wehrmacht player if you cant compete with other WM players?
27 Mar 2013, 12:41 PM

I mean how would you ever find out who is the best wehrmacht player if you cant compete with other WM players?

By being on top of the Ostheer ladder I guess ;)
And you can do that, mirrors are still in custom games. But it'll only show who is the best mirror player, not the best Ostheer player.
27 Mar 2013, 12:44 PM
Donator 11

This argument has been already discussed in this thread.
27 Mar 2013, 12:51 PM

sorry i wont read 27 sites of this thread but i am completly for mirror matches and would be realy sad if they wont be part of my ranked experience. I mean Starcraft2 has PVP ZVZ and TVT too and it adds something to the game if you dont always have to face the same army.
27 Mar 2013, 13:14 PM

Jake, if you can't be bothered to read what has been discussed already, then it's much less likely that others will be bothered to treat your previously discussed opinions and arguments with much care.

Myself, I am quite pleased with the current situation as revealed yesterday by Quinn. Disabled for automatches and possible in custom matches sounds like the perfect compromise.
27 Mar 2013, 13:19 PM

well im not happy with that and thats why i state my opinion here. If you have facts that speak against my opinions then please say them. But as far as i see its only about the personal preferences of some people in this forum.
27 Mar 2013, 14:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge

well im not happy with that and thats why i state my opinion here. If you have facts that speak against my opinions then please say them. But as far as i see its only about the personal preferences of some people in this forum.

whoops quoted the wrong user..
27 Mar 2013, 15:05 PM

i can edit my posts too so that the context makes no more sense
27 Mar 2013, 15:10 PM
Honorary Member Badge

well Fuck You good sir.
PAGES (29)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W