Login

russian armor

Mirror Match

PAGES (29)down
31 Dec 2012, 21:55 PM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2012, 13:39 PMThrill

Football for example is really an unfair sport. Yet is the most popular one.
The game doesn't have to be 100% fair, but it must be FUN and entertaining. You can have a game that is super duper fair and boring at the same time.

Yes but football has mirror matches. If in each game, one team was always on offense and the other was always on defense I don't know if football would be as popular. Imagine if a really good defensive team lost the coin flip in the Superbowl and had to play offense, or if the Superbowl was a best of three and two good defense teams were up against each other and one had to play offense twice.

Football also has mirrored maps too.

In fact most competitive sports have mirror matches and many have mirror maps...
1 Jan 2013, 00:48 AM

Yes but football has mirror matches. If in each game, one team was always on offense and the other was always on defense I don't know if football would be as popular. Imagine if a really good defensive team lost the coin flip in the Superbowl and had to play offense, or if the Superbowl was a best of three and two good defense teams were up against each other and one had to play offense twice.

Football also has mirrored maps too.

In fact most competitive sports have mirror matches and many have mirror maps...

Absurd. The comparison with football is an analogy which you have taken ridiculously too far.
1 Jan 2013, 10:41 AM

People shouldn't being comparing coh2 to anything it's a different game, play it for what it is, not what you want it to be.
1 Jan 2013, 13:19 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I guess I'm just wrong here :)
1 Jan 2013, 15:10 PM
Donator 11

Yes but football has mirror matches. If in each game, one team was always on offense and the other was always on defense I don't know if football would be as popular. Imagine if a really good defensive team lost the coin flip in the Superbowl

just to be clear, by "football" I meant the most popular sport on the planet, not in USA ;).

I will just stick to my opinion that unfairness is a part of almost every sport (chess being here one exception that comes to my mind). And football (soccer for you) being a good example of a game that is extremely popular yet can be very very unfair (Maradona's "hand of God" anyone?). And I don't think that football has mirror matches. Everyone plays by the same rules - yes, but teams differ very much, maps (football fields) are very different. Some teams like to play on a bigger fields, some like to play on smaller fields, some like grass to be cut short. The list goes on. My point - the game must be fun, interesting, entertaining to watch to become popular. It doesn't have to be 100% fair.
1 Jan 2013, 17:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2013, 15:10 PMThrill

I will just stick to my opinion that unfairness is a part of almost every sport (chess being here one exception that comes to my mind).

Chess are actually pretty unfair aswell. White does the first move - which has a huge impact on the game, and, if well calculated, will always lead to a material advantage for white player + usually forces black player to play a much more passive game.

The thing is, matchup of two same factions playing against each other on a symmetrical map, in real time , is always 100% balanced.
1 Jan 2013, 17:45 PM

The thing is, matchup of two same factions playing against each other on a symmetrical map, in real time , is always 100% balanced.

and will, if played correctly, be decided by the RNG 100% of the time. your logic.

it is not that simple... let's wait for beta and how mirror matches will pan out, i still doubt that they will be balanced though.
1 Jan 2013, 18:08 PM

and will, if played correctly, be decided by the RNG 100% of the time. your logic.

it is not that simple... let's wait for beta and how mirror matches will pan out, i still doubt that they will be balanced though.

Good point. Forgot about RNG. Another random factor that decides a win for one or another in mirror match, therefore should be removed in order to have balance in a mirror match. But ,for the lose of entertainment, of course.
1 Jan 2013, 18:41 PM

Good point. Forgot about RNG. Another random factor that decides a win for one or another in mirror match, therefore should be removed in order to have balance in a mirror match. But ,for the lose of entertainment, of course.

It's not needed to remove RNG. Many elements decide about a win or loss, including strategies used, terrain, upgrades, health of units and decision making. There is no RNG in games like SC, and yet there are no terrible stalemates you guys are talking about. We'll have more diversity in strategies to avoid those.
1 Jan 2013, 19:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2013, 18:41 PMlagbzz

RNG won't always be the only factor deciding about balance. The many factors, including strategies used, terrain, upgrades, health of units and decision making. There is no RNG in games like SC, and yet there are no terrible stalemates you guys are talking about. We'll have more diversity in strategies to avoid those.

Since it is a mirror matchup, players have same units and same strategies at their disposal. Health on units is also the same. Terrain is symmetrical. Decision making is also 50/5O, if both players would have equal skill. Then the diversity of strategies will not decide the game, because both players know what is the best strategy on that map, and they will do it everytime. And then, if one of the players hasn´t a good day, game is decided. Intelligence bulletins might also decide the game. So might a choice of your commander, because you do it before the game.
1 Jan 2013, 19:59 PM

Since it is a mirror matchup, players have same units and same strategies at their disposal. Health on units is also the same. Terrain is symmetrical. Decision making is also 50/5O, if both players would have equal skill. Then the diversity of strategies will not decide the game, because both players know what is the best strategy on that map, and they will do it everytime. And then, if one of the players hasn´t a good day, game is decided. Intelligence bulletins might also decide the game. So might a choice of your commander, because you do it before the game.

Decision making is never equal, that's why we have wins and losses in coh. Unit health can be a factor, because of the aformentioned element. Furthermore, it's a terrible game where you have only 1 strategy available to you.
1 Jan 2013, 20:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2013, 19:59 PMlagbzz

Decision making is never equal, that's why we have wins and losses in coh. Unit health can be a factor, because of the aformentioned element. Furthermore, it's a terrible game where you have only 1 strategy available to you.

We have wins and loses because of the RNG, and because no two players in the world are equal.
1 Jan 2013, 20:55 PM

We have wins and loses because of the RNG, and because no two players in the world are equal.

Yes, but RNG always comes into play after decision making.
1 Jan 2013, 21:02 PM

to win a game of coh at high level you must be able of modifying your stratagy on the fly, if an opponent realies your stratgy he caN start to blind counter it and will gain an advantage if you continue your origional stratgy regardless, there is no best stratgy, this bear grills dude is a n00b.
1 Jan 2013, 21:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2013, 20:55 PMlagbzz

Yes, but RNG always comes into play after decision making.

Well, decision making will be equal too, if you have two absolutely same players playing under absolutely same circumstances.
1 Jan 2013, 21:26 PM

Yeah sure, but it's impossible :p
2 Jan 2013, 00:31 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I've played like 4,000+ games of CoH and I wouldn't say any single one of my losses was due to an element of randomness. If you're aware of all potential events then you adjust to accomodate them in your play.
2 Jan 2013, 00:57 AM
Benefactor 115

All I gotta say is that it's the usual suspects make it into the top 8 of most tournaments.

If the game was a lol random as some people make out then there would be a larger variance in the top 8.
2 Jan 2013, 01:11 AM

as long as the randomness is random and consistant its a welcome addition
2 Jan 2013, 11:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jan 2013, 21:26 PMlagbzz
Yeah sure, but it's impossible :p

Yes, two absolutely equal players - that is just a theory. But you need that theory in order to make a balanced game. Your goal is, to have (in your mind, of course) two absolutely same persons playing mirror match under same circumstances (without RNG) and then, theoretically, it is a stalemate. That is balance. :p Or atleast I think. But yes, in real life, it is imposibble.
PAGES (29)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS