Login

russian armor

2v2 Openings?

2 May 2019, 20:36 PM

Just came back to the game, and what I'm thinking right now after playing probably a couple of dozen games at least is:

OKW
Unit composition: Minimum of 4 Maxims and 2 Engineers to plant mines, after that it depends on the commander but at least 2 AT units and then more anti-infantry.
Commanders: Probably Urban Defense, as it has both shocks and a cheaper AT gun so you have more manpower for other stuff while still doing the job. Or if you simply make more maxims instead of shocks, you can get a single AT gun while getting a commander with either guards, or Reserve Army/Partisan Tactics for the double tank huntisans.

Pitfalls: Just the standard pitfalls of using Maxims, which my gut tells me appear to have been nerfed since last I played but I don't know.

Ost
Unit composition: Conscripts > Sniper > Conscripts > Sniper > Conscripts, so 3 Cons and 2 Snipers. 2 Engineers to plant mines if you didn't go Tank Hunters. Again if you didn't go Tank Hunters, either 2 Guards or 2 Tank Huntisans. If you did go Tank Hunters, you can possibly make more than 2 Snipers and complement with a Clown Car and sooner Medics.
Commanders: Tank Hunter Tactics lets you skip guards and the 2nd engineers to make other things like a clown car, extra sniper, sooner medics and sooner teching either directly or through a fuel cache. Otherwise you get either Reserve Army or Partisan Tactics for the tank huntisans, or a doctrine with guards.

Pitfalls: If he starts with Assault Grenadiers, or has only made Grenadiers and no support weapons either by default or because he sees your sniper, you will have a harder game. Same thing if he anticipates your snipers and fast techs to T2. This makes Partisan Tactics particularly good as it comes with Radio Intercept.

-

Conclusion
I feel you are supposed to spam maxims against OKW, and go Cons + Snipers against Ost and hope he doesn't start with only Grens/Assault Grens/fast T2. Massing Cons sucks against both (as it always has been supposed to), while OKW simply beats T1 early and then swarms it while Ost snipers beat T2. Also, T1 gets swarmed by Ost as well when you make penals instead of cons because you'll have 2 PTRS squads instead of 3 which is not enough both to quickly destroy scout cars, and avoid suppression and retreats from focused fire while trying to destroy them. And because you want to supplement the snipers with early doctrinal AT, shocks - although good in of themselves - will thus typically be played against OKW if they are played since they fit in better there, and less so against Ost due to the opportunity cost of choosing them. Shame, since shocks are my favorite unit.

Have I got it right?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS