Login

russian armor

Bunkers of the ostheer ( facepalm )

6 Oct 2013, 18:08 PM

Discuss , imo its just stupid and the option should just not be available , or at least it should only be doable via putting an mg squad in the bunker , cause right now be it a team game or 1v1 , all the ostheer has to do is win an engagement near the contested vp or fuel and then bunker it which is nowhere near as difficult as it was in vcoh , its bad enough when there is a recruitment station but it becomes so frustrating when you have to dispatch considerable forces of yours to destroy the crapy thing with the mg and sometimes not succeding cause it takes a bloody century to do so and your enemy will come in force to rescue it , bombarding it takes too long as well , of course there is a unit that counters it , penals , which are fucking useless atm and dont have any other usage + it forces you to backtech to t1 or go t1 guards

To add insult to injury in maps with lots of deep snow , like , the insulting to vcoh semois , semoskiy the thing is so frustrating and tiring to play against with all that building (with invinvible cover , another topic of discussion ) campfest that i personally have it permanently deselected and when by chance it somehow gets in the list i immediately forfeit .

Jesus Christ relic , there are simple things you can do to improve the gameplay and balance of the game , we ve been shouting about penals since july and nothing , either reduce their damn price or make them available with a flamethrower without the need to upgrade and slightly increase their durablility ( by 5% or sth ).
6 Oct 2013, 18:55 PM

plant demo on it
6 Oct 2013, 19:13 PM

It does take significant time to build though, so if people can do it you've already given up the ground. They also need to cap the area first. The munitions+mp invested is significant in the early game too (same cost as an LMG/flamer).

It's also really vulnerable to heavier guns, try to hit it with an AT gun sometime.

Are you somehow implying that you think it should be defeatable by infantry? It's sort of meant to do well against those don't you think?
6 Oct 2013, 19:41 PM

Both of youy missed my points , go back to the OP and read it again , you ll see why , the solutions your proposing arent as effective as you d think . Allthough planting a demo could be a solution if ofcourse there is noone around and approaching with an engies is possible .
6 Oct 2013, 19:41 PM

Bunkers are fine except with the call-in Ostruppen building them, which are just ridiculous in general. With grenadiers or even pios building them, it involves spending about the cost of a unit, guaranteeing no early LMG, using a lot of time on one of only a few early units. With the Ostruppen building them you don't need to use an important unit because you'll have about six of them, the manpower saving from t1 and the cheap troops will more or less equal the cost of the bunkers, locking down the fuel means the Ostruppen don't have to do anything they're bad at like fighting in the open to protect a point...

I don't think there's a problem with bunkers in general, just with Ostruppen being a ridiculously stupid unit as they're currently implemented and them synergising very well with lazy bunker lockdowns.

Guards and AT guns both get rid of bunkers fairly quickly.
6 Oct 2013, 19:44 PM

Yeah, they have a nasty synergy with the osttruppen, good point.

Kafrion: I think you'll have to explain what you think the problem is a bit more :)
6 Oct 2013, 19:46 PM

Put bunker on fuel very early = delayed enemy capture of fuel long enough so you already won by fuel conquest
6 Oct 2013, 19:54 PM
Patrion 14

KV-8 and burn the bunkers to the ground
6 Oct 2013, 19:57 PM

T70 works well for me.
6 Oct 2013, 19:57 PM

Put bunker on fuel very early = delayed enemy capture of fuel long enough so you already won by fuel conquest

If your opponent has gone Tier 1 with the bunker like a good player not abusing flavour-of-the-month bullshit, cutting half a gren squad, an LMG and some wasted capping time on a gren or pio squad from the start should let you get enough map presence to cut off the fuel or bully them and lock down the other fuel until you get some guards or an AT gun out to knock the bunker down.
6 Oct 2013, 21:03 PM

Bunkers are fine except with the call-in Ostruppen building them, which are just ridiculous in general. With grenadiers or even pios building them, it involves spending about the cost of a unit, guaranteeing no early LMG, using a lot of time on one of only a few early units. With the Ostruppen building them you don't need to use an important unit because you'll have about six of them, the manpower saving from t1 and the cheap troops will more or less equal the cost of the bunkers, locking down the fuel means the Ostruppen don't have to do anything they're bad at like fighting in the open to protect a point...

I don't think there's a problem with bunkers in general, just with Ostruppen being a ridiculously stupid unit as they're currently implemented and them synergising very well with lazy bunker lockdowns.

Guards and AT guns both get rid of bunkers fairly quickly.

i havent tried guards against them i ll admit that , but getting an atg to a fuel point away from the base is really risky since you are in the double danger of the atg singled out or if you detach more forces from your hardpoint you risk the danger of attracting an attack there

In short i think that bunkers are too much trouble for their price , and hinder the fluidity of the game

i am also under the impression that in coh1 the american mg placement was vulnerable to small arms fire , why not apply the same in coh2 ?

If your opponent has gone Tier 1 with the bunker like a good player not abusing flavour-of-the-month bullshit, cutting half a gren squad, an LMG and some wasted capping time on a gren or pio squad from the start should let you get enough map presence to cut off the fuel or bully them and lock down the other fuel until you get some guards or an AT gun out to knock the bunker down.

fact is that they are not all that expensive , they are basically worth the cost of 1 pio which isnt all that much

Although i will admit that they are very frustrting mainly in semois , which just adds to the map being an ugly campfest
7 Oct 2013, 00:46 AM

Flame weapons work quite nice against bunkers. Try to burn them with engineers or plant some charges as suggested above.
7 Oct 2013, 01:35 AM

Plenty of ways to counter bunker in 1v1

concentrate on other side of the map, where you have advantage due to bunker cost (1 unit less, no flame or LMG)
Meanwhile save for demo charge, flank (or use clown) to get to bunker and blow the thing up.
Alternatively build Zis and engage it while pressing somewhere else

If you cannot do this, It is not the bunker that is the problem. You are just facing someone much better than you.......

If you are talking about 3v3's and up (some 2v2), than yeah bunker is incredibly hard to defeat on some maps and certain key positions.

completely taking out Con rush, flanking, snipers, clown, etc. Making some parts of map untouchable for Soviet player entire game (with bunker + Mortar + Pg's later Elephant)

But thats more to do with balance and use of Soviets intended for 1v1 being almost completely nullified in team games.

Of course, well drilled Soviet teams will have tactics to deal with this. Random vs random team, very hard to defeat unless Soviets are significantly more skilled (player for player)
7 Oct 2013, 11:14 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Guards' PTRS rifles take down bunkers very quickly. Better than engineer/penal flamethrowers, in my experience. With MG bunkers, you can use smoke to block their LoS and get into a safe position to destroy them.
7 Oct 2013, 15:24 PM

Flame weapons work quite nice against bunkers. Try to burn them with engineers or plant some charges as suggested above.

haha, I can see the Fear on myself, and my enemy, when we are battling at North Langres, at the cutoff, and I flank my engi squad to build a demo charge on top of the mg42 nest:

"COME ON! COME ON! COME ON! (building demo charges)"

"OH SHOOT! OH SHOOT! OH SHOOT! (clicking like crazy to move grens to bunker)"

flamer-clown car flank can be helpful but, need to go with conscripts to deter gren's-fausts. So pretty much, don't attack head-on-into it; but obviously, easier said than done as i too have trouble against bunkers sometimes.

7 Oct 2013, 15:43 PM

This. I only find them to be a problem when spammed on narrow maps such as Minsk or Rostov.
7 Oct 2013, 15:59 PM

I've never tried using Guards against bunkers. I will have to keep that in mind.

I find building them as Germans almost a no brainer. It does depend on the map a bit, but on some maps, they are so worth it. You place them at key points and you can forget about a whole side of the map for like 10 min. Especially if you build them early. Sure you don't get LMGs, but honestly, Grens vs Cons is an equal battle. Why do I need LMG's early? If I am careful, I can still beat the Cons back. The manpower hit it so low and no pop hit either. In fact, if I find myself at the pop cap, or floating MP, I can just build a few bunkers since they don't require any pop.

On the other hand, I have been annoyed by bunkers as Soviets many times. They really do require a lot of effort to remove.

This is one of the key points here. Since I have played against bunkers so many times, I know how much of a pain they are. I feel like I can't simply ignore that portion of the map because of the advantage it gives to Germans in resources. So, I end up having to change my battle plan to try and take them out. It also means I have less micro on the main battle front which can hurt a lot.

So essentially one bunker at a key point completely changes my strategy as Soviets(hurts a lot at tier 1). Tier 2 definitely has counters for bunkers, but in either case you have to invest more than the cost of the bunker.
8 Oct 2013, 09:18 AM

haha, I can see the Fear on myself, and my enemy, when we are battling at North Langres, at the cutoff, and I flank my engi squad to build a demo charge on top of the mg42 nest:

"COME ON! COME ON! COME ON! (building demo charges)"

"OH SHOOT! OH SHOOT! OH SHOOT! (clicking like crazy to move grens to bunker)"

flamer-clown car flank can be helpful but, need to go with conscripts to deter gren's-fausts. So pretty much, don't attack head-on-into it; but obviously, easier said than done as i too have trouble against bunkers sometimes.

It worked for me.
9 Oct 2013, 02:12 AM

Bunkers have been in game since original. Why is it now all of sudden a major flaw? Learn how to counter them , they are not free.
9 Oct 2013, 03:12 AM

i use MG bunker in early game some times, only to put at cutoff, fuel point, MU point to delay enemy to cap it back for 2-5 mins, it is easy to counter and hardly kill anything
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★