Login

russian armor

Life without Guards

5 Oct 2013, 06:29 AM

I'm 26/10 right now as Soviets and I've never called in a Guard squad.
My current build order is 4 con into hospital, then t2-t3, with optional AT nades/molotovs or at gun depending on who I'm up against.
Unless I'm up against Assault grens, in which case I go 4 con into engi and mine the entire map and just use mines and at nades for vehicles.

Basically, the ZiS is better than everyone gives it credit for, with conscript support it can hold off a P4 pretty handily. Plus once you have T34s on the field, you can start ramming and trading your T34s for P4s which is always a good trade for you.
5 Oct 2013, 08:48 AM

I have found if you oorah your conscripts behind the tank then throw the AT nade it will not bounce. This works on the heaviest tanks, tiger, panther etc.
5 Oct 2013, 09:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Oct 2013, 21:15 PMwooof

right now it just sounds like you exaggerated or left out parts of the story to make it fit your argument better.

He says his Zis shot 4 times at the Panther. You conclude that they penetrated. But in fact they may have been deflected. And that's where his problem is.

It can be very hard during battle to get a clear picture of these hits and misses. If you aren't observant enough - or aware of it - you may even miss it in the replay.

What he describes is perfectly possible.I've had similar situations happen a lot of time.

So the only question is really if the balance is right if you take the hits/misses into account?
5 Oct 2013, 09:57 AM

He says his Zis shot 4 times at the Panther. You conclude that they penetrated. But in fact they may have been deflected. And that's where his problem is.

It can be very hard during battle to get a clear picture of these hits and misses. If you aren't observant enough - or aware of it - you may even miss it in the replay.

What he describes is perfectly possible.I've had similar situations happen a lot of time.

So the only question is really if the balance is right if you take the hits/misses into account?

a panther hit 2 mines, deflected 3 nades, deflected 4 zis shots, and didnt get finished off by an su85... either he has the worst luck imaginable, has horrible micro, or this story is exaggerated. the math doesnt even make sense for the panther getting vet 2 off 1 fight like that. sorry, i just dont believe it. there has to be more to this story.

even for the panther to escape at 50% hp after getting hit with all of that, its only possible if it had vet 2 to begin with. the story just doesnt add up. not to mention the fact that a panther takes a long time to decrew a zis 2 times.

even assuming this story is accurate, an engine damaged panther charging at a zis and su85 should end with a dead panther. back your su85 up. end of story.
5 Oct 2013, 10:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2013, 09:57 AMwooof

a panther hit 2 mines, deflected 3 nades, deflected 4 zis shots, and didnt get finished off by an su85... either he has the worst luck imaginable, has horrible micro, or this story is exaggerated. the math doesnt even make sense for the panther getting vet 2 off 1 fight like that. sorry, i just dont believe it. there has to be more to this story.

even for the panther to escape at 50% hp after getting hit with all of that, its only possible if it had vet 2 to begin with. the story just doesnt add up. not to mention the fact that a panther takes a long time to decrew a zis 2 times.

even assuming this story is accurate, an engine damaged panther charging at a zis and su85 should end with a dead panther. back your su85 up. end of story.

Sorry wooof, but I just had a game where I was trying to finish of SU85 with about 0% health and damaged engine. Going after it with panther and tried to cut it of with squad of PG's.
Missed it about 4 times while it hit me every return shot, Panther dead.
And my squad of PG's missed Su85 with their firs schrecks, and of course Mortar round landed right in the middle of them, wiping entire squad out.

This sort of shit happens all the time in games.
5 Oct 2013, 21:20 PM

What annoys me is that this stuff didn't happen in vCoH. Aside from the elite call ins, you couldn't run headlong into a group of AT guns and expect to survive. American AT guns would wreck your shit. Now you run into a group of AT guns and say "lol turbo" and roll through them. Just watch that latest 2v2 gamecast of helpinghans and tititwister... at one point the Germans hit blitz and the casters are like "wtf is this, need for speed?" Buff the Pak and ZiS. They're damn near immobile and should never be wrecked by the units they're SUPPOSED TO HARD COUNTER.

But on topic, after spending the week forcing myself to play with no Guards, I'm actually having way more success without them than I had with them. Shocks/T2/T3 plus mines is where it's at.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 46
South Africa 1
Germany 22
unknown 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %