Login

russian armor

Anti-Tank vs Ostwind

29 Sep 2013, 18:19 PM

Ok tell me what to do when german makes Ostwind and I have anti-tank. I hit him once but then he just drives next to the AA and start circling it; kills the anti-tank and then wipes the whole army. I can't really see any other early-game counters for it.

This is fucking frustrating because you "won" the fight by getting the bull's eye shot but this tank blessed by the force of zeus just comes and kills the bullshit "anti"-tank.

Im just getting more and more mad day by day.
29 Sep 2013, 18:49 PM
Patrion 14

Solutions:

Guards + upgrade -> button vehicle, or a doctrine with mark vehicle (3cps though).

Try to support your ATG with a conscriptsquad or keep one nearby. An AT nade will stop it dead short, and then your ATG can shred the Ostwind quite fast.

Mines infront or next to your ATG if you keep it static.

2 ATGs.
29 Sep 2013, 19:28 PM

mines are crucial. If not to defend your AT gun, then to defend your important strategic point. I cant tell you how many times mines saved me from tank flanks until I made my own rush and realized my mines went missing and there were a bunch of limping Panthers.
30 Sep 2013, 15:52 PM

mines are crucial. If not to defend your AT gun, then to defend your important strategic point. I cant tell you how many times mines saved me from tank flanks until I made my own rush and realized my mines went missing and there were a bunch of limping Panthers.

People say Soviets are "muni heavy"? Why not place some mines all over the roads?! I feel mines are the KEY to Soviets because A.) it shuts down ALLLLLLLL of their T2 strats (flameHT, Scoutcars, PGrens) B.) it protects your flanks C.) helps kill & slow down T3/T4 units.

I place mines almost as soon as i get 35muni on my fuel/cutoff and have killed 3/4 models in gren squads when they try to de-cap my fuel/cutoff.

Also, don't be afraid to re-place mines in already blown mine spots! Usually, your opp. will think "oh, I already blew that mine up, he couldn't possibly have an-*BOOM*"

TLDR; Mines are very important for T2 & T3 German units.
30 Sep 2013, 18:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Sep 2013, 15:52 PMKingAnj

People say Soviets are "muni heavy"? Why not place some mines all over the roads?! I feel mines are the KEY to Soviets because A.) it shuts down ALLLLLLLL of their T2 strats (flameHT, Scoutcars, PGrens) B.) it protects your flanks C.) helps kill & slow down T3/T4 units.

I place mines almost as soon as i get 35muni on my fuel/cutoff and have killed 3/4 models in gren squads when they try to de-cap my fuel/cutoff.

Also, don't be afraid to re-place mines in already blown mine spots! Usually, your opp. will think "oh, I already blew that mine up, he couldn't possibly have an-*BOOM*"

TLDR; Mines are very important for T2 & T3 German units.

This. People never lay mines, I don't know why... Also Scripts with Oooorah and AT-nade to kill the engine might work.
3 Oct 2013, 21:25 PM

I always get anti tank grenades on conscripts... always.

Your opponent is always going to use their fuel on vehicles at some point and if they don't they are probably going to lose.

Anti-tank grenades slow ostwinds down and makes them an easier target for an anti-tank gun. If you have no AT on the field the ostwinds are a lot easier to avoid when their movement is crippled. Disable it on one side of the map and cap the other side. It's a great way to stall until you can get something that can deal with the ostwind.

I used to be a fan of an anti-tank gun defending another anti-tank gun but it's a very manpower heavy counter and you have to be careful. When it does work it works quite well. Space out your anti tank guns and point them at one another and you cannot be flanked. Watch out for infantry though.

My favorite thing to do with AT now is keep it behind infantry in globs of two or 3 and use them to support the infantry. The 2-3 guns can ambush at the right moment and make a mess of pretty much any armored vehicle. Walk your AT back to re-crew it and get some vet stars. Pretty glorious when it works.
4 Oct 2013, 04:37 AM

two ATs one is behind the other AT or at other direction so they can turn and cover each other works great Ostwind have to stop circle your AT and run away from it
4 Oct 2013, 10:11 AM

Soviet crap whining about Ostwind, and disallow Ostheer saying anything to T70 and KV-8 :/
4 Oct 2013, 10:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2013, 18:19 PMDogi
Ok tell me what to do when german makes Ostwind and I have anti-tank. I hit him once but then he just drives next to the AA and start circling it; kills the anti-tank and then wipes the whole army. I can't really see any other early-game counters for it.

This is fucking frustrating because you "won" the fight by getting the bull's eye shot but this tank blessed by the force of zeus just comes and kills the bullshit "anti"-tank.

Im just getting more and more mad day by day.

Mines are good but you might not have munis for AT nades so watch the numbers, be mindful of this when laying mines, Russians are not munition heavy, its common if all things are equal by that I mean player skill not to have early map control which is why Germans will often beat you to tanks. Also your conscripts have been throwing molotovs and you have been maybe upgrading cons or guards.

lay mines on choke points and not to literally protect you AT guns or you will become static and be hit by flame mortars or offmap artillery.

Best counter for Ost, blind luck with an AT nade and definitely staggered AT guns, You will lose the first AT gun even if you nade the Ost, but the second one will kill it, biggest issue you will face is he will outnumber you as far as infantry is concerned because you have been teching to counter units he hasn't got but you know he will get i.e. tanks, so watch your flanks mines are great for protecting flanks as are MG's which are perfect for holding back the German infantry Blob. All this assumes things weren't going fantastic as he has Ostwind and you don't have T34 or SU-85.

Yes I totally agree that the lack of realism in coh and coh 2 can be very frustrating, apparently none of us like realistic ballistics because it wouldn't be ''fun''....which translates to ''I cant be bothered to do it''
4 Oct 2013, 10:55 AM

I always get anti tank grenades on conscripts... always.

Your opponent is always going to use their fuel on vehicles at some point and if they don't they are probably going to lose.

Anti-tank grenades slow ostwinds down and makes them an easier target for an anti-tank gun. If you have no AT on the field the ostwinds are a lot easier to avoid when their movement is crippled. Disable it on one side of the map and cap the other side. It's a great way to stall until you can get something that can deal with the ostwind.

I used to be a fan of an anti-tank gun defending another anti-tank gun but it's a very manpower heavy counter and you have to be careful. When it does work it works quite well. Space out your anti tank guns and point them at one another and you cannot be flanked. Watch out for infantry though.

My favorite thing to do with AT now is keep it behind infantry in globs of two or 3 and use them to support the infantry. The 2-3 guns can ambush at the right moment and make a mess of pretty much any armored vehicle. Walk your AT back to re-crew it and get some vet stars. Pretty glorious when it works.

you wont be able to have more than two AT guns in a contested game, and you wont be able to defend them with static globs, you would lose the whole map.
You have to shoot and retreat them or pull them up with an offensive and then pull them back again, mortars flame and otherwise or offmap artillery would make short work of static units and your opponent will end up with your AT guns.

remember he's not winning this game, or he would have armour when the Germans get Ostwind.

Yes your absolutely right about AT nades you need them early, to deal with AC's or flame halftracks etc. Also they are useful all the way through the game.
4 Oct 2013, 14:38 PM

AT nade to damage engine then AT gun or rifle guards
6 Oct 2013, 03:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Oct 2013, 10:55 AMGenMe

you wont be able to have more than two AT guns in a contested game, and you wont be able to defend them with static globs, you would lose the whole map.
You have to shoot and retreat them or pull them up with an offensive and then pull them back again, mortars flame and otherwise or offmap artillery would make short work of static units and your opponent will end up with your AT guns.

If you have 3 AT guns by the time your opponent gets the first ostwind out you are doing it wrong I agree. I'm talking about in general when a game goes long and there's a lot of armor or something big like a tiger on the map. I still think 2 AT guns is reasonable if you are down on fuel.

You misunderstand what I am saying about the AT guns. They should always be on the move right behind the infantry. Just select the AT guns as a group and target enemy vehicles manually when they are distracted by your infantry. The damage of 2 AT guns together is sometimes enough to kill a tank before your opponent can react. I find it's much more effective than a single AT gun that can at best just drive your opponent's tank away.

Also, just as something to try... I have successfully used an SU-76 against an Ostwind and won before. You have to be very careful with it though and keep it back so it won't get flanked but it does have a range advantage and enough frontal armor to deal with that 40mm gun. A T34 is probably a better option but just something to think about.
10 Oct 2013, 14:27 PM

If you have 3 AT guns by the time your opponent gets the first ostwind out you are doing it wrong I agree. I'm talking about in general when a game goes long and there's a lot of armor or something big like a tiger on the map. I still think 2 AT guns is reasonable if you are down on fuel.

You misunderstand what I am saying about the AT guns. They should always be on the move right behind the infantry. Just select the AT guns as a group and target enemy vehicles manually when they are distracted by your infantry. The damage of 2 AT guns together is sometimes enough to kill a tank before your opponent can react. I find it's much more effective than a single AT gun that can at best just drive your opponent's tank away.

Also, just as something to try... I have successfully used an SU-76 against an Ostwind and won before. You have to be very careful with it though and keep it back so it won't get flanked but it does have a range advantage and enough frontal armor to deal with that 40mm gun. A T34 is probably a better option but just something to think about.

yeah I think we are agreeing here, also about T70, I've even rear armour killed a heavily damaged PIV before while it was fighting a T-34.
11 Oct 2013, 00:58 AM

I hate the Ostwind. To kill it with anything short of an SU85 you need to use AT grenades to take out it's engine, then retreat the squad. Use Guards to button while you have your ATgun/T70/SU75 take it out. Alternatively if you have enough cons around you can take turns throwing AT grenades at it while the guards have it buttoned.

It's an open top vehicle, right? Has anyone ever had a lucky mortar hit take it out?
11 Oct 2013, 21:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Oct 2013, 00:58 AMBKCP
I hate the Ostwind. To kill it with anything short of an SU85 you need to use AT grenades to take out it's engine, then retreat the squad. Use Guards to button while you have your ATgun/T70/SU75 take it out. Alternatively if you have enough cons around you can take turns throwing AT grenades at it while the guards have it buttoned.

It's an open top vehicle, right? Has anyone ever had a lucky mortar hit take it out?

The open top has no bearing on vulnerabilities of the Ostwind. The problem I have with the German vehicles right now is if a German player uses the Spearhead Doctrine to get smoke. Smoke is a dirt cheap spammable ability to use, yet button costs 40-45 munitions to do every time. Smoke cancels the button so you always end up with an ability that is unusable due to how expensive the button ability is.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 36
Germany 17
Korea, Republic Of 2
Germany 46

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %