Login

russian armor

setting up a stream on my laptop with obs

20 Feb 2019, 11:04 AM

Good day everyone,

I recently switched from nvidia share to OBS as main streamingtool. I got an asus N551JX. It got an Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @2.60. GHz, 8GB Ram and a nvidia Geforce gtx 950m videocard. Its also a 64-bits system with x64 processor (for so far that matters). In the past i streamed and recorded vids with nvidia share with good results. I made some nice and smooth 1080p youtube vids with it. But now i want to stream again and i cant do that with nvidia share because its 'nvidia streaming service' (in the services.msc tab) is missing. So far i made some test streams with different settings and different encoders, NVENC, x264 and QSV. (i added some logs file of those attempts). I also started the autoconfiguration process. That one told me i should use 6000 videobitrate and the NVENC encoder, with a basic resolution of 1920x1080 and a scaled down resolution of 1280x720, and 60 FPS.

Now the game that i wanna stream with it is coh2, which is an (5yr old) rts game with probably quite a bit of movement going on. ( u can google it on yt) Now recording with the share service of nvidia still goes just fine. (That service is still working wtf nvidia) But my problem with the obs stream is that i have a really nice picture, atleast 720p which is not to bad for my rig i think ^^. But the problem is that i feel like i miss some fps or have a lot of stutter. In like any normal coh2 vids on yt that i made, u see troops walking normaly around. But in my stream they sometimes 'shift forward', it just ain't smooth. Even the camera movement. I also checked in the stream stats tab from obs. I saw there that i miss like 5% off all my frames in stream (this number grows in time i think) as a consequence of render delay (whatever encoder i use. (its in the topright 3rd stat) Also the time it takes to generate a frame is at peaks sometimes 12millisec but this also can become more depeding on the encode i use. I guess thats way to much? and this is the issue of my problem? Because after that i start losing more and more frames. I don't drop frames because of my network. The thing is that it usually becomes red numbers which is probably not good. Also im always on cable network when i stream, not wifi. Also i switched of the windows gamemode stuff since i read it interferes with obs.

So i used some guides here, and some youtube vids about obs, (credits for the gamingcarreer channel) but i can't solve the problem. Now it has probably to do with the facts most guides and tutorials are not really laptop related? But i feel i should be able to solve all this since somehow i could make decent streams with nvidia share which didnt have this problem. I already played around with all the encoders and most settings, but i cant get it right NotLikeThis.

Some other facts i found in task manager when i was experimenting with the different video encoders:
- RAM is no matter what always sitting around 84% --> coh2 likes to eat ram, but so do my browers. Ussualy i shut down the browsers which makes the % go down. to 60-70%
- My in game fps counter says im usually around 33fps, obs somehow thinks im around 40 but sometimes way lower.
- I use as ingame graphic settings mostly medium settings but sometimes high. (i can upload a screenshot if required)
- When i use my NVENC the grapics card is at around 90% (sometimes 100%) capacity
*The 3D engine tab thing of my card in taskmanager is around 90%
*The video encoder tab thing in taskamanger sits around 15%
- When i use the QSV my happy little intel chip goes 28% capacity
*around 20% goes in the 3D tab thing
*and around 8% in the video decode tab.
- When i use the x264 my processor capacity goes to 55% it uses all 8 logical processors, some a bit more others a bit less %.
- Also checked my connection its quite stable. (i have atleast 10mbps but for the stream it usually uses 7mbps. Also i have the feeling that when using a higher bitrate (the recommended 6000) it goes smoother. Which is weird since i read on twitch that most 720p streams sit around 3000 bitrate? But that seems to increase the stutter for me i feel.

A special conclusion, from an aesthetic point of view, i actually think that the happy little intel chip did the best job off all. It seems to create the least stutter.

So someone please help me and tell me what to do, im getting kinda desperate at this point. i know its a long post, but i thought it would be smart to add all info that i could find.

greetings

PS The obs Log Files can be found here: LogFiles
20 Feb 2019, 13:32 PM

another question, will it be possible to add youtubes streams to our streaming frontpage?
20 Feb 2019, 15:52 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Text wall : error -> bg /l

:foreveralone:

On a real: I never got obs working so yeah i have no clue :oops:
20 Feb 2019, 15:57 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Pretty sure there's an auto configure function in OBS. You should try that, I've had decent success with it but you'll still maybe need to tweak a few things.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★