Login

russian armor

Countering Conscripts/Penals/Shock Troops

17 Feb 2019, 08:04 AM

I think it might be safe to say one of the tougher things to overcome playing as OKW is trying to counter Soviet infantry troops.

There are just too many of them, then they rush a fast T-70 that puts you in a world of hurt because of the nearly non-existent AT early game.

This isn't a whiner thread. Far from it. I look at it as a problem to be solved.

For me, what seems to work best when I encounter Soviet penals and shocks is to go Heavy Fortifications doctrine and assault a high traffic area, hold with Volks as long as I can while my Strumpioneer builds a Flak Gun. If they do hit that area with Conscripts/Penals/Shocks, they are almost instantly suppressed and get dealt massive damage, forcing a retreat.

The nice thing about the flak gun compared to an MG nest is its 360 degree arc that it can engage in.

Of course, they can always go 120mm mortar or divisional field gun to take your flak gun out, but they had to use resources to build those units, and if a Flak Gun can stall until I can get a Luchs II, or a Puma, or bring Obersoldaten out to the field; I'd say it's done its job. It's also good against light vehicles.

What say you?
17 Feb 2019, 11:09 AM

I think it might be safe to say one of the tougher things to overcome playing as OKW is trying to counter Soviet infantry troops.

There are just too many of them, then they rush a fast T-70 that puts you in a world of hurt because of the nearly non-existent AT early game.

This isn't a whiner thread. Far from it. I look at it as a problem to be solved.

For me, what seems to work best when I encounter Soviet penals and shocks is to go Heavy Fortifications doctrine and assault a high traffic area, hold with Volks as long as I can while my Strumpioneer builds a Flak Gun. If they do hit that area with Conscripts/Penals/Shocks, they are almost instantly suppressed and get dealt massive damage, forcing a retreat.

The nice thing about the flak gun compared to an MG nest is its 360 degree arc that it can engage in.

Of course, they can always go 120mm mortar or divisional field gun to take your flak gun out, but they had to use resources to build those units, and if a Flak Gun can stall until I can get a Luchs II, or a Puma, or bring Obersoldaten out to the field; I'd say it's done its job. It's also good against light vehicles.

What say you?

As OKW you outnumber everything but pure Conscript builds, so no Soviets don´t have "more units" if both players play equally well. Sure if you lose every engagement and bleed MP like crazy you will get outnumbered but that´s your own fault.

Conscripts suck unless upgraded with PPSH on close quarter maps. So just getting Volks and later 1-2 Obers will put you in a good position.

Most Soviets go T1 against OKW. So the key is to shut down the M3 in the early minutes. You can do that by just blobbing your units up and mass assaulting the M3. You can also lay mines. I wouldn´t get a Rak because it slows your infantry play down too much. Never send lone units too far away from the rest of the army when you know enemy has an M3 because he can just wipe them on retreat.

Get Battlegroup HQ ASAP for Fausts and then rush a Flak HT because PTRS doesn´t work well against it because of suppression. This also forces your opponent to upgrade PTRS which makes Penals terrible at infantry combat. Once you have the Flak HT out you need to get 2 Raketenwerfers to protect it from SU 76 and T70. Never let the Flak HT alone, always protect it with at least one Volks (snare) + one Rak. Dont drive the Flak HT around blind corners where Penals might hide to satchel it. Then go Obers + Panzer 4 both rek Penals hard. Don´t build Kübelwagen against Soviets because it just dies to the M3.

That being said, on close quarter maps the Flak HT isnt worth it and you are better off going Mech, building LVs and later getting a Command Panther without T4.

To deal with the T70 you lay mines on roads and use Raketenwerfers. If you decide to go Mech you can also get a Puma to have a mobile counter. It´s really not that complicated, just a matter of micro and positioning in order to get the job done.

Forget about the AA emplacements, they are not terribly bad but they delay your tanks or LVs too much. Especially considering you play 1v1 where mobility is really important.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★