Login

russian armor

Game keeps shutting my computer off

22 Dec 2018, 19:30 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I didn't see a technical sub forum. Anyways, I have this issue with the game where it will sometimes cause my computer to randomly reboot in game. This usually happens during extremely performance-intense events like when you defeat a team. I imagine that my issue is that the game quickly overloads my computer which causes it to crash. The big thing is that CoH2 is the only game that even does this, even games that run worse don't cause my computer to shutdown. Any help would be great!

Technical details:

Specs:
i7 6700 (normal version)
GTX 1080 8GB Founders
16GB RAM
Playing at 4k resolution
Game is installed on a HDD

Texture and physics settings are set as high as they can go while AA is off. I did the benchmark test and got an average of 60FPS.
22 Dec 2018, 19:58 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Just eyeballing this, CoH2 has a known memory leak issue, that much we know.

To clarify what that is: The longer a game remains open its RAM usage will increase.

RAM = Random Access Memory, which is a finite amount of space and power used to run open programs as well as the OS. Say if you open Google Chrome, it uses a bit of your total amount of RAM.

Firstly, should give us a little more info on your PC, specfically what OS you're using. CoH2 does have a mac version so it'd be good to know what is running your PC.

I've had issues in the past with other games that had known memory leaks where the program would automatically close when the program exceeded the pre determined RAM limit set by the OS, although I've never had it completely shut down my system.

At the very least, try turning down your settings ingame and see if it makes a difference. If not I'd say it's probably an issue with your motherboard or the OS. The hardware you seem to have shouldn't have any problem unless it was faulty.
22 Dec 2018, 20:37 PM

Just eyeballing this, CoH2 has a known memory leak issue, that much we know.

To clarify what that is: The longer a game remains open its RAM usage will increase.

RAM = Random Access Memory, which is a finite amount of space and power used to run open programs as well as the OS. Say if you open Google Chrome, it uses a bit of your total amount of RAM.

Firstly, should give us a little more info on your PC, specfically what OS you're using. CoH2 does have a mac version so it'd be good to know what is running your PC.

I've had issues in the past with other games that had known memory leaks where the program would automatically close when the program exceeded the pre determined RAM limit set by the OS, although I've never had it completely shut down my system.

At the very least, try turning down your settings ingame and see if it makes a difference. If not I'd say it's probably an issue with your motherboard or the OS. The hardware you seem to have shouldn't have any problem unless it was faulty.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I am using Windows 10 Home. I do think that the memory leak is also the issue, as most of my shutdowns happen after 1 hour+ matches. I will turn my settings down and close my browser and see if that fixes anything.
22 Dec 2018, 20:43 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply, I am using Windows 10 Home. I do think that the memory leak is also the issue, as most of my shutdowns happen after 1 hour+ matches. I will turn my settings down and close my browser and see if that fixes anything.

If it's only CoH2 and nothing else it is most certainly a memory leak issue. The question is why is it shutting down your whole system and not just the program.
23 Dec 2018, 00:05 AM
Donator 11

If it's only CoH2 and nothing else it is most certainly a memory leak issue. The question is why is it shutting down your whole system and not just the program.

That could be a faulty memory stick. Sometimes a PC will reboot or bluescreen when some broken part of memory in a stick is used. Such problem won't show in software that doesn't use enough memory to go up there. I would advise a memory test, just to cross one probable reason out.

Another thing to consider is overheating or lack of power. Some other resource demanding software might not use GPU and CPU extensively at the same time, so such problems might not show. It can even run a CPU stress test in such situation and work stable.

To test for overheating you obviously need to log temperatures when in game and read them. Anything over 70 degrees celsius can potentially couse an emergency reboot when it comes to desktop CPUs. As for PSU, it might be worth checking on another, possibly borrowed one, but even listing the name and maximal power of it here can make some way in determining how probably of an issue that is.
23 Dec 2018, 00:11 AM

Edit: Ah, looks like Ferwiner got in first while I was typing this :p I agree that it's worth testing the RAM as well. https://www.memtest.org/ should help you out with that. You can leave it running overnight to get the best results.

My first impression was that the CPU might be overheating. Systems will shut themselves down to protect themselves when that happens. You can monitor you CPU temperatures easily with RealTemp. Basically, you don't want to be getting near 100 degrees celsius at all.

The problem with that theory though is that a) It apparently only happens in COH2, and b) COH2 almost never uses all of the CPU.

So I wonder if the video card might be overheating instead. It's also unlikely, since video card usage in COH2 is generally dependent on CPU performance which steadily declines as a match goes on, thanks to game engine problems. But once again, it's easy enough to check and rule out. A quick Google search should find a range of programs you can use. MSI Afterburner is probably a good brand name one.

If you only have 1 monitor, you can press alt+enter to window your game and check the results you're getting. If there actually are temperature issues, causes sometimes include loose cables blocking fans from turning, and dust accumulation on the heatsink.

Have you installed COH2 recently, or have you been playing for some time and this is a new development?
23 Dec 2018, 06:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2018, 00:11 AMCyanara
Edit: Ah, looks like Ferwiner got in first while I was typing this :p I agree that it's worth testing the RAM as well. https://www.memtest.org/ should help you out with that. You can leave it running overnight to get the best results.

My first impression was that the CPU might be overheating. Systems will shut themselves down to protect themselves when that happens. You can monitor you CPU temperatures easily with RealTemp. Basically, you don't want to be getting near 100 degrees celsius at all.

The problem with that theory though is that a) It apparently only happens in COH2, and b) COH2 actually sucks at using the whole CPU.

So I wonder if the video card might be overheating instead. It's also unlikely, since video card usage in COH2 is generally dependent on CPU performance which steadily declines as a match goes on, thanks to game engine problems. But once again, it's easy enough to check and rule out. A quick Google search should find a range of programs you can use. MSI Afterburner is probably a good brand name one.

If you only have 1 monitor, you can press alt+enter to window your game and check the results you're getting. If there actually are temperature issues, causes sometimes include loose cables blocking fans from turning, and dust accumulation on the heatsink.

Have you installed COH2 recently, or have you been playing for some time and this is a new development?
Hi, thanks for giving me these tools. I did some tests with the game and it seems like it only shuts down as soon as the match is over. I monitored my temps through out the game and they were fine, 40 degrees C for my cpu and gpu. My PSU is only 500 watts so it might be getting upset when the game starts to suddenly demand a lot of power when explosions are going off.
I wonder why it doesn't crash during a battle with like 50 tanks on my screen though. I haven't tried turning my graphics down a lot yet but when I have time for another 4v4 battle then I will see if closing every program I have will help.
Also, I just got the game during that free giveaway and it has been happening this whole time.
23 Dec 2018, 06:56 AM

Hi, thanks for giving me these tools. I did some tests with the game and it seems like it only shuts down as soon as the match is over. I monitored my temps through out the game and they were fine, 40 degrees C for my cpu and gpu. My PSU is only 500 watts so it might be getting upset when the game starts to suddenly demand a lot of power when explosions are going off.
I wonder why it doesn't crash during a battle with like 50 tanks on my screen though. I haven't tried turning my graphics down a lot yet but when I have time for another 4v4 battle then I will see if closing every program I have will help.
Also, I just got the game during that free giveaway and it has been happening this whole time.

It would also be wise to look into your PCs log files, they'll tell you everything including why a crash occurs.
23 Dec 2018, 07:07 AM

It would also be wise to look into your PCs log files, they'll tell you everything including why a crash occurs.

Where would I find these? I doubt my computer would be able to save any files that can give helpful info if my computer is losing power
23 Dec 2018, 07:25 AM

Where would I find these? I doubt my computer would be able to save any files that can give helpful info if my computer is losing power

https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-use-event-viewer-in-windows-10/

• Right click the start key
  • Select "Event Viewer"
23 Dec 2018, 08:54 AM

I can tell, that I also have issue. Playing coh2 for more than 1.5 hour could randomly shut down my pc and restart it. I've checked CPU and GPU temperature during the game - everything was fine. I even tried to increase fan speed manually, but it didn't help. I didn't have this issue with any other game or application, and these strange restarts started about 2 weeks ago.
23 Dec 2018, 09:40 AM

Ok. I've never experienced this, so no good reasons really come to mind, but definitely run the RAM test overnight when you next get the chance.

If you're looking for other things you can do, my system performance guide has a bunch of general advice in section 2 that may be helpful: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=518140524
23 Dec 2018, 13:58 PM

Thanks, I did these tricks long time ago. But I'll check my RAM, maybe the problem is there.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★