Login

russian armor

[1v1] Soviet T1

24 Sep 2018, 18:12 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Hi, looking for someone to look over this. The early game was really not so good and I'm not sure what could've been better. I'm thinking it was the capping order (and my opponent's aggressive push) that threw me off.

However, I felt like I continually stayed alive due to my opponent's errors (sending volks behind green cover vs. flamethrower, then wiped on retreat) and wasn't able to really ever take an advantage due to my own errors (letting my two penals get wiped mid game in quick succession, forgetting that I had mark target)

Was my choice of sniper poor? It ended up surviving and at times had an average of 2 kills/minute(which is really good, I think) but I was left with, at a certain point in the mid game, with only three combat squads (penals) whereas my opponent had five (four volks + sturmpio). I ended up going T2 and not getting T3 because I needed a way to stop his blobs (and to get some reliable AT).

I lost my first AT gun consciously capping the right VP, attempting to stem the flow of my VPs escaping.

Here's the replay
26 Sep 2018, 12:03 PM

the concept of blobbing has to go with critical mass... as ive noticed the soviets are actually ahead in this regard due to the power of the penal batallion...

even after the volks get STGs penals will dominate over them... albeit inefficiently
later in the game a T-70 and eventually a T-34 spam can easily overrun an okw player

as for snipers i find them a waste of manpower against blobs... only the ostheer one is useful imho and i only use them vs UKF and USF

also the lack of an m3 scout car hurts your offensive potential aswell... the M3 is important as it allows you to inflict bleed on okw without bleeding yourself

overall despite the attractiveness of T2 vs okw blobs the inferiority of the maxim (the worst machinegun ingame) just punishes a sov player too much imho... manpower better spent on a T-70 or a T-34

i assure you 3-4 T-34s will reduce any OKW army to smithereens even with AT guns... and an AT penal blob + T-34 ram can make short work of any okw tank aswell

also an AT gun is a bad choice for sov imo... too slow and immobile... try putting a penal with a PTRS inside an m3 and use it to close the gap to abuse the satchel... makes short work of halftracks scout cars and luchs if you can get out of the car fast enough to throw a satchel

lastly flamethrowers... 1 flamethrower isnt enough for me as engineers are squishy and flamethrowers are your ONLY anti garrison option when you go T2... 2-3 engineers with flamers usually compose my core along with 4 penals

1 permanently has PTRS the moment i hear a tank coming... the rest get PTRSes when i get a T-34 or 2

overall i can summarize the problem as

1. no M3 scout car < the pressure of the M3 scout car alone would have allowed your initial penal to kill both volksgren squad (cqc vs volks long range vs sturms) and proceed to kill the lone sturm next

2. more penals instead of T2 < i cannot emphasise how important it is to hit critical mass when softblobbing...

3. T3/T-70 instead of T2... your enemy had no AT hence was totally defenseless against a T-70.. even then that would render him vulnerable to penals if he did have AT..

4. no sniper... maybe vs wehrmacht but even then more penals/more flamer engineers usually pay off better imo (especially considering how easy it is to chase a sniper to base against a penal build)

5. an AT gun is a bad option... penal AT + m3 would be a better alternative... just make sure to get out of the m3 when ur close and quickly throw a satchel... also approach from an unexpected angle and make sure if its a luchs... that its shooting at something else..

6. more flamers... flamer is love flamer is life
1 Oct 2018, 10:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Sep 2018, 12:03 PMgbem

While I agree with gbem on some points, I respectfully disagree with others.

0. I would advice against getting prts on all your penals. Preferably get it only 1 for the sticky sachel or perhaps none at all If you plan on mixing them with guards. 2-3 engineers with flamers also exclude the mine sweeper which is extremely important in mid-high lvl games. I usually get one flamer and one sweeper.

1. I agree that the scout car is highly efficient against OKW and should be prioritized early as they will have no faust and be forced to either give ground or rush raketen which will set them back further. If you pick a doctrine with radio interception you will even know when the raketen comes out and use your scourcar much more safely for maximum pressure.

2. Going both t1 and t2 can have its advantages, but should always be done knowing that this will put you behind in the armor rush. It is therefore necessary to have plenty of hard and soft counters, so your initial soviet armor is not facing hordes of vetted german the moment they hit the field. When going both t1 and t2 it is often a good idea to go for a commander with an IS-2 call in your you're not necessarily depentent of having either t3 o2 t4.

3. see point 2.

4. I disagree here. The sniper is a fine choice against both wehr and OKW if you have decent micro. it generally does more manpower damage against wehr, but dosenøt run the risk of countersnipe VS OKW. snipers generally makes you win more engagements and are great at flushing mgs out of buildings. if you can consisntently get at least 15 kills on a sniper, then they tend to be worth the effort (while not being an absolute must). Snipers are most vulnerable by the time the germans get out their 222 or Luchs before you have ressources for a t70. in that short window you must be extremely conservative with the sniper and protect it with ptrs and other soft counters.

5. I don't really think you can compare the two things. AT guns are hard counter for armor, while ptrs are soft counters who occationally are lucky to get a powerfull sachel snare of.

6. I don't really have an opinion. If it works for you that's great and soviets tend to have the munitions for it. But if you don't at least get one sweeper I will make sure you regret it if you're matched with me :P

For further notes I tend to open with T1 vs OKW while it is more flexible vs wehr. As for the guards motor commander, it is a great allround doctrine, but people sometimes get blindsided into taking this by default. if you feel like this is you, then you might want to experiment with some of the other commanders like partisans, lend lease, advanced warfare or shock rifle. on Faymontville the range of the 120 mm mortar is nice though, as you can pretty much bombard the opponents base from a very safe distance.

I haven't had time to actually watch your replay yet, but I'll se if I get time dureing the week. Also if you want to do a training scrim sometime just let me know. We are pretty evenly ranked so we might both learn something from this :D
1 Oct 2018, 14:13 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Thanks to both of you for your help and advice :)

I'd be down to do some 1v1s with you, Joshua! I think it'd be fun!!
1 Oct 2018, 17:04 PM

Thanks to both of you for your help and advice :)

I'd be down to do some 1v1s with you, Joshua! I think it'd be fun!!

Cool. I don't know how flexible you are timewise, because usually I'll only have time to play after 20 p.m. in the gmt+1 timezone. But if we can make this work, then it would be good with a couple of scrims :D
2 Oct 2018, 12:02 PM

While I agree with gbem on some points, I respectfully disagree with others.

0. I would advice against getting prts on all your penals. Preferably get it only 1 for the sticky sachel or perhaps none at all If you plan on mixing them with guards. 2-3 engineers with flamers also exclude the mine sweeper which is extremely important in mid-high lvl games. I usually get one flamer and one sweeper.

1. I agree that the scout car is highly efficient against OKW and should be prioritized early as they will have no faust and be forced to either give ground or rush raketen which will set them back further. If you pick a doctrine with radio interception you will even know when the raketen comes out and use your scourcar much more safely for maximum pressure.

2. Going both t1 and t2 can have its advantages, but should always be done knowing that this will put you behind in the armor rush. It is therefore necessary to have plenty of hard and soft counters, so your initial soviet armor is not facing hordes of vetted german the moment they hit the field. When going both t1 and t2 it is often a good idea to go for a commander with an IS-2 call in your you're not necessarily depentent of having either t3 o2 t4.

3. see point 2.

4. I disagree here. The sniper is a fine choice against both wehr and OKW if you have decent micro. it generally does more manpower damage against wehr, but dosenøt run the risk of countersnipe VS OKW. snipers generally makes you win more engagements and are great at flushing mgs out of buildings. if you can consisntently get at least 15 kills on a sniper, then they tend to be worth the effort (while not being an absolute must). Snipers are most vulnerable by the time the germans get out their 222 or Luchs before you have ressources for a t70. in that short window you must be extremely conservative with the sniper and protect it with ptrs and other soft counters.

5. I don't really think you can compare the two things. AT guns are hard counter for armor, while ptrs are soft counters who occationally are lucky to get a powerfull sachel snare of.

6. I don't really have an opinion. If it works for you that's great and soviets tend to have the munitions for it. But if you don't at least get one sweeper I will make sure you regret it if you're matched with me :P

For further notes I tend to open with T1 vs OKW while it is more flexible vs wehr. As for the guards motor commander, it is a great allround doctrine, but people sometimes get blindsided into taking this by default. if you feel like this is you, then you might want to experiment with some of the other commanders like partisans, lend lease, advanced warfare or shock rifle. on Faymontville the range of the 120 mm mortar is nice though, as you can pretty much bombard the opponents base from a very safe distance.

I haven't had time to actually watch your replay yet, but I'll se if I get time dureing the week. Also if you want to do a training scrim sometime just let me know. We are pretty evenly ranked so we might both learn something from this :D

hmm well i disagree on some points aswell

0. penal PTRS actually pair nicely with the T-34-76 and the flamer engineer... its anti infantry maybe bad but coupled with the T-34-76 and the flamer engineers its actually oppressively strong... its anti tank is also bad alone... but the T-34 can ram a tank and satchel the bastard to kingdom come... the strength of the soviet union comes from its synergy

2. is not exactly effective vs OKW imo... their MG is easily flankable removing the need for mortars and the maxim is absolute trash... the zis is good but a AT penal + m3a1 scout car can actually eliminate a luchs in the right hands... soo yeah id rather rush a T-70 or a T-34 over going for T2 vs okw... wehrmacht may necessitate a mortar

3. depends on the situation... but in that situation a T-70 would have been better

4. hmmm yes it is a fine choice vs okw provided its microed enough to get 30 odd kills... otherwise i could buy an m3 + a flamer engineer and further abuse its strength vs blobs...

5. PTRS penals should only be taken once u hear a light vehicle... and get only one... once u get at least 2 T-34s however the synergy is strong enough for you to mount PTRS on all penals and get away with it generally... use ram to disable enemy tanks smoke to stop enemy MGs and satchel the expensive kraut to death...

6. agreed... 3 flamers and a sweeper is good imo

7. the reason why i love flamers is simple... it traps okw on a catch 22... either run away from green cover and be shredded by my penals/T34 or become KFC... damn now im hungry...
2 Oct 2018, 12:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Oct 2018, 12:02 PMgbem

hmm well i disagree on some points aswell

0. penal PTRS actually pair nicely with the T-34-76 and the flamer engineer... its anti infantry maybe bad but coupled with the T-34-76 and the flamer engineers its actually oppressively strong... its anti tank is also bad alone... but the T-34 can ram a tank and satchel the bastard to kingdom come... the strength of the soviet union comes from its synergy

2. is not exactly effective vs OKW imo... their MG is easily flankable removing the need for mortars and the maxim is absolute trash... the zis is good but a AT penal + m3a1 scout car can actually eliminate a luchs in the right hands... soo yeah id rather rush a T-70 or a T-34 over going for T2 vs okw... wehrmacht may necessitate a mortar

3. depends on the situation... but in that situation a T-70 would have been better

4. hmmm yes it is a fine choice vs okw provided its microed enough to get 30 odd kills... otherwise i could buy an m3 + a flamer engineer and further abuse its strength vs blobs...

5. PTRS penals should only be taken once u hear a light vehicle... and get only one... once u get at least 2 T-34s however the synergy is strong enough for you to mount PTRS on all penals and get away with it generally... use ram to disable enemy tanks smoke to stop enemy MGs and satchel the expensive kraut to death...

6. agreed... 3 flamers and a sweeper is good imo

7. the reason why i love flamers is simple... it traps okw on a catch 22... either run away from green cover and be shredded by my penals/T34 or become KFC... damn now im hungry...

If anything our disagreements just show how versatile this game is and how many ways there are to achieve sucess.

Praise be coh2 :bananadance:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS