Login

russian armor

Requesting C&Cr on improving my OKW play [1v1] vs. Soviets.

12 Sep 2018, 03:49 AM

Even though I won this game, I still feel like I made quite a few mistakes that perhaps I should have avoided and that might have cost me the game if my opponent had capitalized on them, built other units such as vehicles and/or altered their tech path. What could have I done better to avoid such mistakes, even if they were not capitalized by my opponent in this particular circumstance. Here's a pretty detailed description of the match imo with what I believe where some of my most pressing mistakes because I like to be thorough:

I started off by building a 2nd Sturmpioneer Squad,to deal with potential conscripts, and engineers and a Kubel to help me cap territory faster. I ended up arming both sturmpioneers with schrecks expecting the soviet player to come out with some of the annoying early vehicles like the Flak Half Track or maybe a T70... This however never came and that proved a rather wasteful investment. I proceeded them to build 3 Volksgrenadiers.

Due to gaining some nice map control early on, I opted to go with the Mechanized Regiment HQ to get access to the Luchs and helping me counter pushes. While it helped for a bit, I feel like I didn't get my investments worth of it (neither from the Luchs or the building since it was the only unit I built). I also chose to use the Breakthrough Doctrine due to having the more numerous Fusilier squads and the Sturm Offizier. I believe he pulled his weight enough though him getting sniped cost me a couple forced retreats that I would have much rather not happened. Though I believe it did prove crucial in dislodging my opponents presence from the center point by forcing one of his penal battalions to retreat, which gave me breathing room to throw an incendiary grenade at the building he had garrisoned which forced my opponent to leave them and eventually retreat them. I also used the Breakthrough ability a couple times to expedite decapping of a few points across the match.

After regaining control of the center I built the Shcwere Panzer HQ near the center when I had enough fuel to build it and more or less quickly build my first medium tank. This HQ was also my only source of suppression for the entire game, which might have made some segments easier had I gone for the Battlegroup HQ and the Flak Track or if I had invested in the Mg34. During this time I reinforced my units and built some defenses to protect it while it was building. After it built, I opted to wait a bit to get enough fuel for a Panther instead of getting access to the more accesible and faster P4 due to my fear of my opponents many Penals. At this time I had sent a fusilier to capture the enemies fuel. However before it could finish, he countered by sending his Penal blob his way. I ended up soft retreating him to a buidling in my left flank VP and made the decision to leave it there as a holding sacrificial unit since my opponent dedicated most/all of his force to killing it, thus giving me breathing room for my Panther to finally come out.

After pushing my opponents penal one last time and trying to regain map control of what I had lost came what might have nearly been my worst mistake in the game (but proved to be my opponents worst mistake instead after which the battled ended with their surrender). I allowed my opponents Penal blob to get too close to my Panther which resulted in getting hit by some magnetic grenade ability or something that tracked it quite a bit after it had began reversing and did some devastating damage. Fortunately for me I had Volks and Panzerfusiliers at either side of the road in which they were and had my Volks throw and incendiary at the blob. Idk if I managed the Fusiliers to throw one of their grenades though. As the Penals made an aggressive push to finish off my panzer though, they ended up within the arch of my Schwere HQ and I managed to get my Sturmpioneers to intercept the rest of the force which forced a retreat and ended the match.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★