Login

russian armor

MG42 Post Patch

PAGES (10)down
16 Sep 2013, 12:05 PM

I changed to playing Soviets only. The combination of the MG42 suppression nerf, received damage increase for the crew, cheaper shock troops, Molotovs and Oorah makes any usage of the MG42 a struggle.

The game went from one extreme to the other - from an overpowered MG42 to an underpowered MG42.

Imo what would have been appropriate would have been that the MG42 just needed 1 salvo more for suppressing and pinning (2 salvos to suppress/ 3 salvos to pin). Now even 2 salvos don´t suppress.

The whole game has turned into huge blob-charges storming MG42s and a marathon early game with squads running around the map and dancing around MGs just getting into the MG42s arc of fire and getting out again unharmed, running circles.

Mid game the blob can only be stopped by Ostwind.
16 Sep 2013, 13:01 PM

Use the bulletin for pre-patch MG....works for me :)
16 Sep 2013, 13:20 PM

Use the bulletin for pre-patch MG....works for me :)

It works but it is very bad design because people who do not have the bulletin have a problem. If I remember correctly, it requires a pretty high level.

But I think bulletins were a stupid idea to begin with...
16 Sep 2013, 13:30 PM

This is something new,so now the MG is nerfed only when Germans are using it :))...
@JohanSchwarz Yes some battles were won like that,here is proof:
The Russian army is not a conventional army in that it is used to fight wars, but is rather a way for the government to dispose of the massive amounts of disgruntled workers, laborers and drunks that make up the Proletariat. Russia has their own version of conscription, "Compulsory National Suicide", in which the Red Army launch wave after wave of attacks without weapons until the enemy run out of ammo and are butchered by the "real" army. In theory. Russia is the complete opposite of France in that Russians never retreat and have a tendency to die to the last man, which Josef Stalin will have one way or another. A Russian soldier is easy to identify. He is dead, buried under thousands of his equally decreased brethren.
Russian battlecry: "Ugh", "AHHH MOTHERLA-", "God help me!", "URAA- ow, my spleen!", "Arrrrrrrrgh" "*Gurgle gurgle gurgle...*"

I'm not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic but this is one hell of a racist post.

In any case, Company of Heroes is not real life. In real life, Russia did not have the same population as Germany, meaning that they could easily use brute force tactics with superior numbers. In the game, both sides have a population cap of 100.

If Russia had the same army size as Germany did in World War 2 and decided to use the same suicidal tactics you pointed out, history would be very different.

On-topic: I agree with roflthecat. Bulletins should not so drastically affect gameplay that they make or break a unit entirely.
16 Sep 2013, 13:55 PM

I'm not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic but this is one hell of a racist post.

In any case, Company of Heroes is not real life. In real life, Russia did not have the same population as Germany, meaning that they could easily use brute force tactics with superior numbers. In the game, both sides have a population cap of 100.

If Russia had the same army size as Germany did in World War 2 and decided to use the same suicidal tactics you pointed out, history would be very different.

On-topic: I agree with roflthecat. Bulletins should not so drastically affect gameplay that they make or break a unit entirely.

Just joking dude,I'm not racist either :loco:...
16 Sep 2013, 13:59 PM

You're telling me six guys running head-first into an MG42 while screaming Oorah at the top of their lungs in real life are going to live to see another day?

Unless that machinegunner was drunk, blind, or deaf, he will mow all six of those people down in less than ten seconds, no matter how unfortified his position is.

Granted, this is a game and the MG would obviously be OP if it instantly killed squads like that. However, it shouldn't ever allow one squad of conscripts to run up through its firing arc and kill it when it was already deployed. That's fucking retarded.

funny only one person dies how it is portrayed in saving private ryan rushing a mg42 to take it out with less then 6 men.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf28rQVlEj0[/youtube]
16 Sep 2013, 14:04 PM

Uhm please stop thinking Hollywood movies are realistic=accurate...
16 Sep 2013, 14:10 PM

Uhm please stop thinking Hollywood movies are realistic=accurate...

ok here you go real life, just saying hollywood is no different then a game it is made up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59msUnyy1g[/youtube]
16 Sep 2013, 14:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2013, 14:10 PMpgmoney

ok here you go real life, just saying hollywood is no different then a game it is made up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59msUnyy1g[/youtube]

First, I'm pretty sure he's not aiming at the camera.

Second, a person is much bigger than a camera, especially if the person is standing up and charging at the MG42.

By the way, good job bringing a biased Hollywood movie as a reference into a balance discussion about a competitive multiplayer game. How very erudite of you.
16 Sep 2013, 15:47 PM
Donator 11

First, I'm pretty sure he's not aiming at the camera.

Second, a person is much bigger than a camera, especially if the person is standing up and charging at the MG42.

By the way, good job bringing a biased Hollywood movie as a reference into a balance discussion about a competitive multiplayer game. How very erudite of you.

Sorry I feel responsible for this having brought up real life infantry charges on mg's - can we get back on topic.

The bulletin unlocks about level 43 I think. I believe as someone else mentioned that a reworking of Bulletins is being considered. Perhaps in this case the base mg should have between 5-10% added the the bulletin nerfed or 're-worked' whatever that might involve. It does seem quite harsh to punish new players trying to use a staple unit such as this. Most other bulletins are much more marginal in their effect on gameplay
16 Sep 2013, 16:01 PM

Me and a buddy went and tested out some MG42, stolen and otherwise. Results... um, I'm not sure.

It seems to instasuppress when firing right where it's aimed at the edge of it's arc. Also seems to be a bit better against grens than everything else? I'd say the overnerf is the turning speed, when a pioneer squad came from like 10 degrees from where it was aimed it didn't suppress in time. Also, the bonus in DPS when shooting lots of guys seems pretty big, but I'm not sure of the utility in that, except versus the stupidest of blobs if there are that many entities in it's arc, they're coming from multiple directions and you are already dead.

Edit: If you think we didn't test right, friend me on steam and we can do some more science.
16 Sep 2013, 16:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2013, 15:47 PMArray

I believe as someone else mentioned that a reworking of Bulletins is being considered.

if im not mistaken, pqumsieh already posted somewhere that its not just being considered, its coming next patch. i cant remember what thread i saw this in though. it was somewhere in these forums.
16 Sep 2013, 17:06 PM

It was the "Small arms dps" thread. Maybe make another thread asking him to clarify how they're being changed?
16 Sep 2013, 17:19 PM

It was the "Small arms dps" thread. Maybe make another thread asking him to clarify how they're being changed?

i think everyones just going to have to wait and see how theyre changing them :) its the same reason they dont tell people specific changes before they release the patch. people misinterpret the changes and freak out. just look what happened with the small arms changes this patch. some people would start announcing which bulletins are op and broken before they try them.
Only Relic postRelic 16 Sep 2013, 17:33 PM
Developer Relic Badge

I can at least confirm its coming next patch.
22 Sep 2013, 22:16 PM

I can at least confirm its coming next patch.

well i hope you guys buff the MG42's suppression, from the table here i see MG42 have even less suppression than Maxim
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0ApmrrrPr20ncdEpuSHcxNko1VGVFYjczYXpFZWhqOHc&f=true&noheader=true&gid=6

no wonder i see my teammate steal Maxim now because it pings faster than MG42 and it happen way to often that russian conscripts Ooorah!from front of MG42 and throw the Molotov on my MG42's face. so i think this unit is over nerfed and may i ask what is the suppression on the MG42 bunker? i can't find it anywhere
22 Sep 2013, 22:44 PM

I hope they fix MGs auto-deploying when exiting buildings. Its really annoying and has killed my MG-teams several times. Normally I start pushing the retreat button as quickly as possible so that they wount have time to start deplyoing, but with the lagg they often wount get the command before they have started unpacking.
22 Sep 2013, 23:19 PM

well i hope you guys buff the MG42's suppression, from the table here i see MG42 have even less suppression than Maxim
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0ApmrrrPr20ncdEpuSHcxNko1VGVFYjczYXpFZWhqOHc&f=true&noheader=true&gid=6

no wonder i see my teammate steal Maxim now because it pings faster than MG42 and it happen way to often that russian conscripts Ooorah!from front of MG42 and throw the Molotov on my MG42's face. so i think this unit is over nerfed and may i ask what is the suppression on the MG42 bunker? i can't find it anywhere

i just added the german and soviet bunker suppression for you.
22 Sep 2013, 23:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2013, 23:19 PMwooof

i just added the german and soviet bunker suppression for you.

Thanks! i see MG bunker have more suppression than HMG team, i guess i stop building HMG and start using bunkers from time to time. what is DShK 38 Bunker? those npc bunker at base?
22 Sep 2013, 23:47 PM

Must be. Bunkers have always had pretty good suppression. Let's see if they are used more now.

Those suppression values are definitely a bit too low. Thanks for keeping the spreadsheet up to date!
Without it we probably would still be arguing (even more).
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS