Login

russian armor

Big tank destroyers

5 Sep 2013, 12:40 PM

I'm a bit at a loss for what to do when my opponent brings out an ISU or an Elephant. I know they're expensive but you can't keep people from fuel all game and sometimes they do arrive.

What can you really do apart from getting your own super TD and shooting back?

Most of the time they're sitting so far back that you're not getting close with infantry(elephant) or doing so would be suicide (ISU).

Any good tips to share?

I was thinking bombing or artillery strikes, but do they really have the firepower to make a dent?
5 Sep 2013, 13:09 PM
Benefactor 115

for Elephants I usually focus on the other 2 victory points if possible
If it comes forward use 2-3 Guards alternating buttoning and 2-3 SU85s to take it down (if you have a Katyusha also barrage around it first to clear form infantry)
5 Sep 2013, 13:14 PM

The Elefant can´t hit anything but tanks. A supported ISU-152 is borderline OP. It can oneshot whole squads and 2 shot StuGs and Panzer IVs. Supported by SU-85 it can´t be countered.

They seriously should think about giving the thing a more realistic reload time. The real ISU-152 could fire ONCE A MINUTE, not every 10 seconds. Of course it shouldn´t fire once a minute for gameplay reasons, but a shot every 10 seconds is ridiculous. -.-
5 Sep 2013, 13:18 PM
Benefactor 115

rant

can we not turn this in yet another balance rant thread?
5 Sep 2013, 13:56 PM

To put that into a constructive way:

- Don´t attack the ISU-152 frontally

- On narrow maps you should (???)

Infantry with Schrecks ( - )

Panzer IV/ StuG ( - )

Panther/ Tiger ( - )

The guy was asking for some help. And I´m telling you there´s not much you can do about a supported ISU-152. Infantry/ Paks are down with one or two shots. So are medium tanks, especially when there are Su-85s around in 2v2. TIger and Panther are only effective when the ISU-152 is not supported by guards/ Su-85/ to some extend conscripts/ mines/ At-guns, which in a 2v2 and on a certain experience of the player they always are.

So your best tip is to avoid fighting the ISU-152. One question remains though: What to do on narrow maps where it can´t be avoided?
5 Sep 2013, 14:12 PM

I my opinion super heavy tanks have too big range. They should reduce their range so they can be flanked easier. Right now in 1v1 they can almost shoot from their base. I know you are all probably tired of comparison to vCOH, but there a king tiger was a great example how a super heavy tank can be great tool of destruction while supported, but if you leave it alone it can easily be flanked, immobilized and than destroyed.
5 Sep 2013, 14:45 PM

Yeah they have a different feel from the super-tanks in COH1. The COH tanks could be pretty well countered by multiple AT guns since these would outrange the tank and the tank would have trouble killing the AT guns fast enough.

This is not the case here, their presence feels more like an 88 gun (destroys tanks, huge range AND mobile).

I get the point about not fighting it/not giving it targets, but that's not always possible...
5 Sep 2013, 15:03 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

To put that into a constructive way:

- Don´t attack the ISU-152 frontally

- On narrow maps you should (???)

Infantry with Schrecks ( - )

Panzer IV/ StuG ( - )

Panther/ Tiger ( - )

The guy was asking for some help. And I´m telling you there´s not much you can do about a supported ISU-152. Infantry/ Paks are down with one or two shots. So are medium tanks, especially when there are Su-85s around in 2v2. TIger and Panther are only effective when the ISU-152 is not supported by guards/ Su-85/ to some extend conscripts/ mines/ At-guns, which in a 2v2 and on a certain experience of the player they always are.

So your best tip is to avoid fighting the ISU-152. One question remains though: What to do on narrow maps where it can´t be avoided?

Elefant handles a isu fine. 2v2s is a different case where bomb strikes almost kill the elefant in one go.
5 Sep 2013, 16:43 PM

in the ISU case panther or tigers.

in the elephant case. use more infantry. then kill it. i usually ram them. if i don't have doctrine tanks.
7 Sep 2013, 01:51 AM

I can tell you that well placed mines + stuka spam + 2 tiger's will make quick work of any amount of SU-85 or ISU 152
7 Sep 2013, 12:49 PM

One way to corner a large tank destroyer is to use the terrain to your advantage. I notice when I bring out an ISU-152 that skilled players will hide units behind hedges and ambush my infantry only when I go around them. It makes a heavy tank destroyer difficult to use unless you go around the hedge with it, in which case you are vulnerable to being flanked by something as (relatively) small as a panzer 4.
7 Sep 2013, 13:26 PM
Patrion 14

Flanking for one. In the case of Elefants, try to somehow damage it's engine or block it, and then throw a bombing strike at it. Of course you do need the right doctrine for it. If you see ISUs in 1vs1 you have been playing bad tbh. Just punish them in the early-mid game for not having guards.
7 Sep 2013, 13:31 PM

Arty the infantry ofc
8 Sep 2013, 07:13 AM

Yeah, as I play more with them myself I also find that the times i have trouble is when the unit gets isolated from it's infantry support.

When it is it gets vulnerable to faster tanks getting in close and circling. Even if the monster TD's are well armored they're still no good if they get shot from behind.

So the recipe is to do something about the infantry (artilley comes to mind) and then approaching with a faster unit (panther, pz4, t34) from a covered angle and get in close.

But if you're able to do this you've probably won anyway :)
12 Sep 2013, 08:56 AM

The most frequent killer of my ISUs are tigers. Go figure.
9 Oct 2013, 10:41 AM

The Elefant can´t hit anything but tanks. A supported ISU-152 is borderline OP. It can oneshot whole squads and 2 shot StuGs and Panzer IVs. Supported by SU-85 it can´t be countered.

They seriously should think about giving the thing a more realistic reload time. The real ISU-152 could fire ONCE A MINUTE, not every 10 seconds. Of course it shouldn´t fire once a minute for gameplay reasons, but a shot every 10 seconds is ridiculous. -.-

it was 2 rounds a minute, improved to 4 rounds a minute in 1944 with a drop breech.

anyway in reality the Ferdinand wouldn't have even arrived on the battlefield without breaking down, it was a horribly unsuccessful design.

I would love to see realistic load times and armour values, but to make it work you would have to have very long ranges for all weapon systems, say a simulated 1000m

9 Oct 2013, 11:46 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Arty the infantry ofc

Arty actually is quite good against the heavy tanks themselves; the Soviet howitzer, in particular, if you use the vet 1 precision strike ability on an Elefant can deal some serious damage. It used to always penetrate (on a direct hit, anyway) and I'm assuming that it still does.
The Tiger is good against an ISU-152, if you can get in close enough. If your Tiger has vet 1 and can use Blitzkrieg, you should own it with EZ since you'll be able to stay out of the way of the ISU's gun while hitting the side or rear armor. Of course, it will probably be supported by something in which case things get more complicated. You'll just have to support your Tiger. Should work with a Panther, too, although I've never been in that situation.
12 Oct 2013, 19:24 PM

The Tiger is good against an ISU-152, if you can get in close enough. If your Tiger has vet 1 and can use Blitzkrieg, you should own it with EZ since you'll be able to stay out of the way of the ISU's gun while hitting the side or rear armor.

ISU-152 usually support by many other units like guards in 1v1 and many other tanks like SU85 and T34 in team game. if ISU-152 has vet, then keep in mind keep your tank moving and don't park near the front line, ISU-152's vet ability is very strong against tanks but it is a barrage AT ability so as long your tank is moving, it will be hard for isu-152 use it on you, i once killed 3 panther at once because they all parked and stack together and won couple shot out with elefant just by that skill.

arty works against elefant and isu152 but not Tiger or IS2, when use soviet, i like to use guard's button on tiger then ram it with a T34 and let AT gun or teammate's SU85 finish it off. also air bombing strike works great against elefant, alot player don't macro well to get elefant out of bombing zone fast enough. as german i love Pak43 to be my main anti heavy tank

21 Oct 2013, 11:47 AM

They also made this tank of glass. If Relic brings ISU-152 closer to what it really was during WW2, you won't be able to beat it any way.
21 Oct 2013, 12:27 PM

The most frequent killer of my ISUs are tigers. Go figure.

The most frequent killer of my ISUs is my stupidity. Go figure.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 113
unknown 29
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak