Login

russian armor

Uses for Shock Troopers?

28 Aug 2013, 16:18 PM

Hey all,

Now, I've been on the forums for a while and I'm aware that Shock Troopers are considered the inferior choice to Guards Riflemen, but I was wondering if any of you used Shocks and could recommend strategies including them (I tend to do 2v2 and 3v3 anyways so it's likely my teammate will go Guards Rifle.

Both anti-infantry, shock rife frontline, and Terror tactics use Shocks as well, so if I'm going to go for the KV-8 I get them anyways. Was just wondering if anyone had suggestions or tips for shocks, as well as considerations for dealing with things like the newly improved Scout Car in light of the fact that Guards wouldn't be there to deal with them.

thanks,
28 Aug 2013, 16:34 PM
Donator 11

Obviously they are not for anti vehicle so, although the 221 scout car does receive damage from small arms fire, never will it be as effective as Guards.

Some tips for Shocktroops:

-That being said, I find shock troops are especially useful vs. heavy use of panzergrenadiers, they will win vs. them one on one.

-You can also use smoke grenade to either flank a position (MG) or soft retreat from a fight you think they might lose.

-Use conscript merge to keep them in the battlefield and to save manpower because they are very expensive to reinforce.

-Pick up any weapon that's been dropped on the battlefield with them.
28 Aug 2013, 19:14 PM

I didn't want recommendations on using them against scout cars, that was poor wording on my part. I felt that since I wouldn't be taking Guards Rifle, it'd be a good idea to accommodate the lack of AT rifles or button into any effective Shock Trooper stray.

thanks for the tips though!

Edit - so Shocks are more of a counter unit to Pgrens and potentially MGs?
28 Aug 2013, 19:27 PM

capture into deep enemy territory. only vehicles deter them.

meat shields. sandbag+shock troops= very durable spotters for longer ranged units.
AT guns assault they de crew at guns in seconds.

and basically running up to stuff. they can take a lot of damage to they can spearhead your conscripts. then after they take some hits you reinforce them with conscripts to keep the dps up and go.
28 Aug 2013, 19:29 PM
Donator 11

capture into deep enemy territory. only vehicles deter them.

meat shields. sandbag+shock troops= very durable spotters for longer ranged units.
AT guns assault they de crew at guns in seconds.

and basically running up to stuff. they can take a lot of damage to they can spearhead your conscripts. then after they take some hits you reinforce them with conscripts to keep the dps up and go.

yeah they will kill without mercy grenadiers or any support unit mg, mortar, pak etc..

But I prefer going Guards, overall I find them more useful. Shock Troops are too expensive, they should drop the price to 400 mp imo.
28 Aug 2013, 20:04 PM

In my opinion it is the best and strongest infantry unit ingame!
But they have to be a bit cheaper.
And u cant say they will always win against Pgrens if ur enemy dodged ur grenade and hit u with his then Sir... You did something wrong and he would win against ur Shocktroops
31 Aug 2013, 12:42 PM

I always use the Anti-Infantry doctrine in 2v2 as my teammate goes Guards. 3 Conscripts, Molotovs then Shock troops call in into tier two is a deadly combination. Build an AT gun or a mortar then an AT gun from tier 2 depending on his fuel supply and tech AT nades.
You can build 2 AT guns but I tend to tech tier 3 and start building T-34s and one M5 HT. Putting shocks in the halftrack and going capping / stopping their counter harassing is brilliant-and you can reinforce from it.
After one or two T-34s get a KV-8 out and it's endgame.

Don't build a maxim, if you want an MG go get one of his. You have shock troops and if you flank an MG with shocks while conscripts are coming down the front then you will get that gun almost guaranteed.
5 Sep 2013, 20:57 PM

Anti Infantry is also currently my favorite doctrine. I actually feel a *little* bad getting KV8s since they're so potent, but dang are they fun to use...
5 Sep 2013, 22:53 PM

The only situation I have found shock troops useful is if you are in a tight late game situation and you need a strong side capping unit that can 1v1 late game German infantry.

Penal battalions are a cheaper alternative to this use.

I don't recommend getting shock troops early ever because they will drain your manpower as you reinforce them.

In general, shock troopers suck. They are way too expensive and their damage is too weak. They also are get suppressed crazy quick by mg42s.
6 Sep 2013, 00:07 AM

As Ostheer, I think Shocky are extremely annoying

even my vet 3 Grens with G43 and LMG42 can't stop those six men knight cross from raping my Grens
9 Sep 2013, 21:29 PM

I like to 2v2 and have noticed that my teammates often like seeing that I plan on going Shocks into Kv8. Shocks do seem highly situational. Thanks for all the input!
10 Sep 2013, 13:13 PM

As Ostheer, I think Shocky are extremely annoying

even my vet 3 Grens with G43 and LMG42 can't stop those six men knight cross from raping my Grens

Really? I would honestly be rather surprised if vet 3 grens with G43 + LMG42 lost to a fresh shock squad, unless they landed some miracle grenade.
12 Sep 2013, 02:56 AM

I actually just had a 2v2 where I was so glad to have Shock Troops. They stand up to pretty much any German infantry, as advertised. I'm a happy customer right now.

Also, if you go t3, back capping with Shocks and an m5 is quite entertaining.
13 Sep 2013, 20:00 PM

Hey all,

Now, I've been on the forums for a while and I'm aware that Shock Troopers are considered the inferior choice to Guards Riflemen, but I was wondering if any of you used Shocks and could recommend strategies including them (I tend to do 2v2 and 3v3 anyways so it's likely my teammate will go Guards Rifle.

Both anti-infantry, shock rife frontline, and Terror tactics use Shocks as well, so if I'm going to go for the KV-8 I get them anyways. Was just wondering if anyone had suggestions or tips for shocks, as well as considerations for dealing with things like the newly improved Scout Car in light of the fact that Guards wouldn't be there to deal with them.

thanks,

Shock troops aren't inferior to Guards, they are just different. They are to be employed vs opponents that use heavy amounts of infantry and support weapons. The scout car can be dealt with using AT nades or units in cover. Soviets can have early AT guns with a T2 start.

I typically use Shock Troops as a reactionary response to a lot of Infantry and support weapons on the field. If I'm doing well at holding fuel, I'll use a doctrine that allows for better anti infantry options which include Shock Troops. If I'm not holding the fuel too well, I'll go for Guards Motor Doctrine for the extra AT power since vehicles will be more likely to be encountered.
13 Sep 2013, 20:01 PM

I actually just had a 2v2 where I was so glad to have Shock Troops. They stand up to pretty much any German infantry, as advertised. I'm a happy customer right now.

Also, if you go t3, back capping with Shocks and an m5 is quite entertaining.

Shock troops are amazing in blizzards where the German enemy has shorter sight lines that allow Shock Troops to get in close. Actually, any short range infantry benefit from blizzards.
13 Sep 2013, 20:03 PM

The only situation I have found shock troops useful is if you are in a tight late game situation and you need a strong side capping unit that can 1v1 late game German infantry.

Penal battalions are a cheaper alternative to this use.

I don't recommend getting shock troops early ever because they will drain your manpower as you reinforce them.

In general, shock troopers suck. They are way too expensive and their damage is too weak. They also are get suppressed crazy quick by mg42s.

The penal troops have the same armor as conscripts so they will die like flies late game to German vet infantry. The shock troops are fine to get, but I typically only get one squad because of the expense.
13 Sep 2013, 21:09 PM

The penal troops have the same armor as conscripts so they will die like flies late game to German vet infantry. The shock troops are fine to get, but I typically only get one squad because of the expense.

you can reinforce penals with conscripts and you get the same result with less manpower.
17 Sep 2013, 10:47 AM

Use 2 cons as a main front attack with 1 flanking Shock in teamgames.
18 Sep 2013, 09:08 AM

I would get them after 4 or 5 cons, if they get vet they become quite useful. I wouldnt recommend getting them late game.
19 Sep 2013, 03:26 AM

I prefer to get them in the late game... Great for raids on poorly defended flanks. Great for ambushes. Expensive to call in, expensive to reinforce. See tank=retreat.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★