Login

russian armor

Best way to start the match

27 Aug 2013, 12:53 PM

Should i start by making one conscript squad to start capping while building my next building (likely support weapons) then get molotov cocktails and medics after that I'll have to wait and only get one support weapon soldier (HMG) on map or should I make three conscripts squads then start taking points while waiting to be able to build and get my cocktails and medics later this what I've start doing.

Am just looking for some idea's from other on how yous start off.
27 Aug 2013, 13:42 PM

For me I've found the most successful will be going for 3 conscripts into Molotov. If you're going tier two then I don't tend to go for maxims but rather mortars to get the Mgs. After 1 mortar you should have the CP for Guards/Shocks and the manpower; so get your choice of Elite infantry. A second mortar if they're using a lot of weapon teams or preferably an AT gun (for barrage as well) for your main AT. I tend to go Tier 3 after a tier 2 start, but you need at least 1 AT gun before that, and a second after your first T-34 if they have had equal/dominant fuel.
I've found against decent players the best counter to this will be MHTs, so work on flanking it with your guards or something if one pops up.
27 Aug 2013, 13:45 PM

I would play 3-4 cons after the third cons research molotovs and then try maybe t1 or t2 if u see mg spam or hard t1 from your enemy try t1 and get sniper.
if ur enemy is going for a fast flamer halftrack and u have at this time no command points i would prefer t2 for the zis. The medic Station would only ne usefull , if ur cons are rly damaged ^^ 250 manpower is much and at the start of a game to usefull to spend it on this abillity in my opinion.
27 Aug 2013, 13:54 PM

I also start with three conscripts followed by molotovs. I start by sending my engineer to the fuel point that my opponent probably wants to have. If there is a building there it camps there to harass up until the point that I can build T1. Conscripts go to the middle of the map to cap point and either help keeping the enemies fuel or just keep the opponents forces busy until I can get a sniper or penal battalion on the field. Depending on the health of my units I'll get either the healing upgrade or continue to T3 or T4. I also try to place some mines with my engineer when it is finished building T1. What happens after that depends on what the Ostheer does, I'll get a heavy mortar if there are a lot of MG teams on the field, guards if my opponent goes for a quick T2. When my fuel supply allows I get an SU-85, followed by the dual T-34/85.

Disclaimer, I am just a casual player, but have had some success with this approach.
27 Aug 2013, 14:45 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

You might want to check out Siberian's guide on playing as Russians.

He doesn't recommend using Guards Motor Coordination Tactics (the one with Guards and the 120mm mortar at 1 CP), but I like that commander quite a lot.
27 Aug 2013, 16:17 PM

Oh yes, early game you should push him quite far especially if you invest in more than one elite infantry squad. You immediately want to have an engineer squad start spamming mines at every likely place they will be coming to get you. This WILL delay and hurt major pushes, wipe out entire infantry squads when lucky and make him pay excessively for taking back the map (if you mine really well he will not be able to take back the map!).
27 Aug 2013, 21:21 PM

Here's my usual build order for t2:

3 conscripts -> Field Hospital -> T2 -> 2 maxim -> AT grenades -> 1 mortar or AT gun

-or-

3 conscripts -> T2 -> 2 maxim -> Field Hospital -> AT grenades -> 1 mortar or AT gun

T2 seems to work well with T3 so consider getting a T70 or t34 shortly after doing this.

Getting T2 right from the start I find is never a good idea. The building costs 200 manpower, nearly the equivalent of a squad. It also takes a long time to build. That time could be spent capping which is vital in the beginning since the map is up for grabs. T2 units also aren't the best at mobile combat, which is important in the beginning as well.

Early mortars don't work. Mortars are better for breaking formations of units and such things don't exist in the early game.

I don't like molotovs. Maybe I am wrong but I don't like how they depend so much on your opponent making a mistake.
27 Aug 2013, 21:55 PM

Here's my usual build order for t2:
Early mortars don't work. Mortars are better for breaking formations of units and such things don't exist in the early game.

I don't like molotovs. Maybe I am wrong but I don't like how they depend so much on your opponent making a mistake.

I would say if you are not getting motors or maxiums, and choose to lets say get 5 conscript squads or T1 and mass cap, then I think molotov is very good against MG teams (burn or move) and LMGs (burn or waste 60munis and dps).

I also think early mortors (even non 120mm) are "OK" vs 3+Mg builds, as it once again forces them to move or get exploded (even in houses).
27 Aug 2013, 22:51 PM

Plus the psychological presence of a mortar on the field is quite large and will actually subconsciously 'stress' the player out as it can hit from beyond any other range and cause some severe damage, as well as being a constant threat to his defensive line (you must keep bombarding).
The other psychological unit is a sniper as its constant kill rate and threat is a great wear for the player.
I recommend getting at least one of the units depending on the tier you go for; but always always go at least three conscripts before anything else; even penal battalions (as you want to flank with penals and have them merge with conscripts rather than reinforce if you do use them).
28 Aug 2013, 07:11 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I like to get molotovs because they are the only real way to get units out of a building in the first few minutes of a game. Furthermore, even if your opponent dodges the molotov, it will make his units move from cover (take damage), shoot less accurately while moving (deal less damage), and possibly not shoot at all (if they are moving the away and the models are facing their backs to your conscripts).
Conscripts are also so weak without PPShs that molotovs are really the only way to quickly kill, or even threaten, crew-served weapons like MGs and Paks.
28 Aug 2013, 08:27 AM

I like to get molotovs because they are the only real way to get units out of a building in the first few minutes of a game. Furthermore, even if your opponent dodges the molotov, it will make his units move from cover (take damage), shoot less accurately while moving (deal less damage), and possibly not shoot at all (if they are moving the away and the models are facing their backs to your conscripts).
Conscripts are also so weak without PPShs that molotovs are really the only way to quickly kill, or even threaten, crew-served weapons like MGs and Paks.

This.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS