Login

russian armor

So does no one care that Relic is recycling maps?

24 Aug 2013, 16:57 PM

Out of all the combinations and awesome possibilities, why am I seeing old maps from CoH 1? I've been reeeeally patient with this game and have defended its infancy quite a bit, but this really pisses me off for some reason.

Is the community that fickle we scare Relic into reverting to old maps?
24 Aug 2013, 17:01 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Because the old maps are good? Do you just hate good video games or something?
24 Aug 2013, 17:07 PM

i do find annoying that. football, soccer, tennis, squash, badminton, Olympics, and many sports, have retained the same maps in more than 100 years. seriously sport federation its time for some updates.
24 Aug 2013, 17:08 PM

Mm, some of the old maps were great fun, but I would like to see more original maps coming our way! Recycled content doesn't give me great confidence, since I'm not -really- looking for another VCoH - else I'd be playing that right now, instead.

i do find annoying that. football, soccer, tennis, squash, badminton, Olympics, and many sports, have retained the same maps in more than 100 years. seriously sport federation its time for some updates.

It may be my misunderstanding, but I'm certain (mostly certain), that none of those have any likeness to the RTS platform. Nice try, but wit only works when it has an acute irony to it.

Though, this might explain why I don't like any of those sports...
24 Aug 2013, 17:11 PM

There is nothing wrong with keeping good features and maps in general, but the maps that were good on CoH1 arent necessarily good on CoH2, due to different units and gameplay. For instance: stronger buildings and diminished flanking.

I can see how the lack of creativity is "pissing off" Dr. Green Thumb. Recycling CoH1 maps is something that the community itself should be able to do when the world builder is released.
24 Aug 2013, 17:21 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

The lack of competitive COH2 1v1 maps is a problem both in multiplayer automatch as well as in tournaments and leagues. Relic porting in tried-and-trusted map formats from COH1 (Sem, Ang, Lang) is a smart move. Even Blizzard ported "Lost Temple" into SC2 at launch. Here's why porting competition maps from COH1 into COH2 is a good idea:

1) It is incredibly difficult to build a balanced, non-symmetrical map for Company of Heroes. In the 7 years that we had COH1, only that tiny handful of maps (Sem Ang Lang) proved they were good enough for competition.

2) COH2 Balance between the armies is in its infancy. The armies themselves are very challenging to balance. This process is complicated by the fact that we are not sure if the maps are balanced. At beta, the only real decent map we had was Kholodny Winter. How could we balance the armies on that map? For one, it's cold tech, which complicates things even further. Porting these old map formats will help Relic and top players balance the actual armies.

3) New maps take months and months of testing to perfect. Semois, Angoville, and Langres are the products of almost 7 years of balance testing. Each one of those maps has changed a great deal since its inception; in pathing, house positions, and even sector layouts. New COH2 maps will go through this process as well, but they are starting at zero.

4) Porting old maps does not mean that new maps are not being developed at the same time. They are.

5) Not only do you get a map layout that is tried and true, but as we saw with Langreskaya, you also get that layout in a Winter version. This will help balance and develop the cold tech mechanics, if they can be looked at independently of map balance. It's one less variable to worry about when you're looking at Cold Tech.

6) Porting old layouts that we know work for COH is cost-effective.

With Kholodny Summer, Langreskaya, and Semois in a map pool, for the first time I could imagine a large $$ eSports event for COH2. Hopefully Angoville and a host of new maps will join them in the future.
24 Aug 2013, 17:38 PM

Sure I care, and I consider it a sign that they actually remember what made the first game good. So bring back Angovilleskaya and Semoiskaya too!
24 Aug 2013, 17:49 PM

The lack of competitive COH2 1v1 maps is a problem both in multiplayer automatch as well as in tournaments and leagues. Relic porting in tried-and-trusted map formats from COH1 (Sem, Ang, Lang) is a smart move. Even Blizzard ported "Lost Temple" into SC2 at launch. Here's why porting competition maps from COH1 into COH2 is a good idea:

1) It is incredibly difficult to build a balanced, non-symmetrical map for Company of Heroes. In the 7 years that we had COH1, only that tiny handful of maps (Sem Ang Lang) proved they were good enough for competition.

2) COH2 Balance between the armies is in its infancy. The armies themselves are very challenging to balance. This process is complicated by the fact that we are not sure if the maps are balanced. At beta, the only real decent map we had was Kholodny Winter. How could we balance the armies on that map? For one, it's cold tech, which complicates things even further. Porting these old map formats will help Relic and top players balance the actual armies.

3) New maps take months and months of testing to perfect. Semois, Angoville, and Langres are the products of almost 7 years of balance testing. Each one of those maps has changed a great deal since its inception; in pathing, house positions, and even sector layouts. New COH2 maps will go through this process as well, but they are starting at zero.

4) Porting old maps does not mean that new maps are not being developed at the same time. They are.

5) Not only do you get a map layout that is tried and true, but as we saw with Langreskaya, you also get that layout in a Winter version. This will help balance and develop the cold tech mechanics, if they can be looked at independently of map balance. It's one less variable to worry about when you're looking at Cold Tech.

6) Porting old layouts that we know work for COH is cost-effective.

With Kholodny Summer, Langreskaya, and Semois in a map pool, for the first time I could imagine a large $$ eSports event for COH2. Hopefully Angoville and a host of new maps will join them in the future.

1) Spending time and effort on recycling CoH1 maps is therefore even more dragging the development of new CoH2 1v1 maps.

2) There is no indication that these old CoH1 maps are more balanced on CoH2, when compared to new maps. In fact, langreskaya is far from balanced, thereby showing it does not outperform the alternative.

3) Due to the great differences between CoH1 and CoH2, the CoH1 maps also start at zero, if the aim is to balance the map and not just simply copy it.

4) As stated in point 1: spending time and effort on recycling CoH1 maps is therefore even more dragging the development of new CoH2 1v1 maps.

5) These CoH1 maps are not tried and true on CoH2. There is no difference in covering an old CoH1 map with snow and covering a new map with snow. It is equally challenging.

6) It is not cost-effective if the recycled CoH1 maps turn out to be greatly unbalanced, like langreskaya.
24 Aug 2013, 17:59 PM

Hey, it's Tycho. I remember you from CoH 1 boards as I used to do shoutcasting. I remember you being kind of a dick. Glad to see that hasn't changed.

I understand about the balance of maps and unit balances. It's been what, less than 3 months and they're rolling out maps to appease the community that's on summer vacation? If anything, now is the time to be experimenting, in it's infancy. Not later when people are stuck in their old ways.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
24 Aug 2013, 18:05 PM

Eh, it's nice to have a bigger actual 1v1 map pool for the moment. Understandable recycling a few ones from COH as a stopgap measure. Would be nice to see more new maps coming through as well.
24 Aug 2013, 18:07 PM

I just want some total rework of current maps, or I'll have to ignore more maps in ranked.......

Rehzev summer says hi!
24 Aug 2013, 18:08 PM

I'm pretty sure these maps were planed before launch but just didn't make it into the launch.
raw
24 Aug 2013, 18:08 PM

GRRR VIDEOGAMES
24 Aug 2013, 18:19 PM

i don't mind having old maps being remade for coh2, but i just want more maps that are exclusive to coh2, and give them that eastern front feel, like large open maps with a few towns on the way.

ruins of rouen and duclair gives you that feeling that you are fighting in france, i want the maps in coh2 to make you feel like you're fighting in russia or poland. it's kind of hard getting that eastern front feel when you already played vcoh.

i don't mind having coh maps being remade for coh2, but i just want to see more new maps that are a lot greener, the summer maps in this game does not look like summer they look like autumn maps.
24 Aug 2013, 18:47 PM

If it a'int broke don't fix it. Porting maps over is a quick and easy way of adding content to the game. It can be made in a relatively short time because it's already designed for you. Relic doesn't have to go through map balance, concepts and designs, and make sure it works for both factions on both sides. It's already done, so cut the production time.

They were good maps, and frankly looking at the CoH2 maps developed thus far, I'm not sure I really want to see what's in store with future CoH2 map releases.

By the way, we should be given enough veto options to exclude all the winter maps. Please and thank you...
24 Aug 2013, 18:49 PM

If it a'int broke don't fix it. Porting maps over is a quick and easy way of adding content to the game. It can be made in a relatively short time because it's already designed for you. Relic doesn't have to go through map balance, concepts and designs, and make sure it works for both factions on both sides. It's already done, so cut the production time.

They were good maps, and frankly looking at the CoH2 maps developed thus far, I'm not sure I really want to see what's in store with future CoH2 map releases.

By the way, we should be given enough veto options to exclude all the winter maps. Please and thank you...

This is why we have all the CoD rehashes and movie rehashes and so forth. I find this approach quite boring and this stagnates the art that is video gaming.
24 Aug 2013, 18:51 PM

If it a'int broke don't fix it. Porting maps over is a quick and easy way of adding content to the game.

+1
24 Aug 2013, 18:52 PM

I agree with Ami and im personoly stoked to see the old maps coming back, in fact I imagined them doing this before launch thinking how epic it would be. There is nothing wrong with retaining timeless content that is truly great for the new game.

New maps r coming too so chill, its obvious Relic is devoted to making this a great game and it will get there and the content will come too.
24 Aug 2013, 18:52 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Guys, wait till the best community mappers start working with the worldbuilder!
24 Aug 2013, 20:49 PM

This is why we have all the CoD rehashes and movie rehashes and so forth. I find this approach quite boring and this stagnates the art that is video gaming.

Except Call of Duty is like playing Russian Roulette. You're get told you're really good because you're the last man standing in a game of chance.

In CoH2 the map plays how you decide to let it play. Chess is played on the same board every time yet it can be played in thousands of different ways.

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2013, 18:52 PMSpanky
Guys, wait till the best community mappers start working with the worldbuilder!

Yeah! But first we need to wait for the world builder. Which is when..?

I'm not going to hold my breath for something that does not yet exist.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★