Login

russian armor

What went wrong? Tips appreciated!

24 Aug 2013, 14:33 PM

Hi all. This is my first post on COH.org (or any COH strategy forum for that matter), although I have made use of these resources over the years.

I recently played a game with my friend who suggested that I was holding my defensive line too far back. The map is pripyat winter and my build order was T2, Maxim, Maxim, conscript, conscript, at nades, AT Gun, T3... We were up against an early MG spam to light vehicles to heavy tanks.

In my head, my job was to hold the fuel and push/squeeze from the north where I could. It seemed that the game went well for the first ten mins or so but then things started to shift..

I think I played OK for the large part but I was wondering if anyone could take some time to give me (or my friend) a few tips on the game. Whether synergy could have been improved, whether I built the right kind of units.

Replay

Thanks much in advance.

COH_Panda.
Hux
24 Aug 2013, 15:11 PM
Patrion 14

Forgive me for not viewing the replay (cannot right now)

It seems to me that going for T2, Maxim, Maxim, script, script means that you sacrifice a lot of early game capping power. You say your job was to 'hold fuel and push from the north' yet I cannot help think that you could have captured and held said territory a lot earlier in the game with a much more aggressive capping force (I.e more scripts)and then instead of voluntarily adopting a defensive you could have already been forcing your opponent to be defensive. Now, I am no expert player myself but I have really embraced the idea of being offensive in this game rather than defensive (I dunno if I actually heard him say it or not but I always has Fatal's voice in my head when I think about the merits of being offensive, for some reason...)

Anyway, secondly you make an odd choice in your teching later on in your post. You talk about getting only 2 scripts then researching AT nades THEN building an ATG. Again, I am not an expert player myself but that choice strikes me as odd, i.e building two things -one after the other - to both achieve the same job.

I may be disregarded by other, more skilled players in here, but I feel that the Russians (just as the US in COH) have to assert themselves early on and dominate through their aggressiveness - which is something that your overall strategy does not appear to capitalise on. I guess just try a few more games with different strats - create your own (or stick with the one you have and tweak it if that's what you fancy)

As I said before I have been unable to watch the replay (yet) so if anything I have posted does not apply the please feel free to disregard.
25 Aug 2013, 09:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2013, 15:11 PMHux
Forgive me for not viewing the replay (cannot right now)

It seems to me that going for T2, Maxim, Maxim, script, script means that you sacrifice a lot of early game capping power. You say your job was to 'hold fuel and push from the north' yet I cannot help think that you could have captured and held said territory a lot earlier in the game with a much more aggressive capping force (I.e more scripts)and then instead of voluntarily adopting a defensive you could have already been forcing your opponent to be defensive. Now, I am no expert player myself but I have really embraced the idea of being offensive in this game rather than defensive (I dunno if I actually heard him say it or not but I always has Fatal's voice in my head when I think about the merits of being offensive, for some reason...)

Anyway, secondly you make an odd choice in your teching later on in your post. You talk about getting only 2 scripts then researching AT nades THEN building an ATG. Again, I am not an expert player myself but that choice strikes me as odd, i.e building two things -one after the other - to both achieve the same job.

I may be disregarded by other, more skilled players in here, but I feel that the Russians (just as the US in COH) have to assert themselves early on and dominate through their aggressiveness - which is something that your overall strategy does not appear to capitalise on. I guess just try a few more games with different strats - create your own (or stick with the one you have and tweak it if that's what you fancy)

As I said before I have been unable to watch the replay (yet) so if anything I have posted does not apply the please feel free to disregard.

Thanks Lovat for your feedback. I really only use this strategy for Propyat as there is much less flanking opportunity than other maps imo (normally, I'm 3 consc, MG, at nades, AT gun/shock troops, T3,etc..). The initial build worked well against the german MG spam as the maxims had more punch and eventually forced their retreat. So initially at least, it seemed to work.

The idea behind the AT nades and AT gun combo is to hard counter the mid-game vehicles (mainly flame truck). I find that this unit quite often will push me off the field unless I have prepared sufficiently (and my 2 MG start is just begging to be flamed..). Hopefully, I get a sticky on it when it tries to move in on MGs, with the AT gun behind to finish it off.. Again, happy to hear opinions on this strat. I do realise I may be getting a lot of AT quite early but the alternative in my mind seems to be losing the field mid-game.

Thanks again for taking time to respond Lovat. Would love it you (or anyone else) could take a look at the replay and give me some tips (i.e., for this map and any suggestions on my T2 build). Cheers!

COH_Panda.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight